Flintlock Site gives up another awesome Solid Silver Find!!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I returned to the 1700s flintlock site hoping to score the butt plate and instead found the silver escutcheon thumb piece! I was surprised to see the piece still attached to part of the stock after being in wet muck since The Rev War era. Three of the 1774 John King silver ornaments have been found now on separate hunts.
All of the pieces have the trophy of arms theme symbolizing military victory.

538EEACA-396C-4D39-A41F-0F1AED069CF1.jpeg BA4AF878-B6FA-4750-9EBC-BC461C7FD696.jpeg 5415D6C2-BA2F-4B40-856B-E9DB53BD512C.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 51
OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG Keith! I was hoping your could find some of the smaller inlays. Keep pulling the moden trash out and you just might get the rest of it :thumbsup:
Thanks Steve! Its been a fun adventure and crossing fingers more parts there.

I'm at a loss for words. . . I think everyone is on the edge of their seat and can't wait for your next episode at the John King site. You've unearthed some of John King's best work and stired our imaginations of how this saga may have ended for the original owner of this flintlock. As others have said, there are still pieces to be found and no place is ever hunted out. It's out there :)
. Thanks Watercolor! I have been hoping to find the butt plate since I am most interested in seeing this particular piece. I wonder if there is any personal info inscribed on this piece.

Show us how you end up displaying all the parts but don't make it a closed display because you may end up finding more. I think finding the buck and balls and cloth still in it was so cool and I imagine extremely rare. It just makes the mind wander on how it was lost primed and ready to shoot.
Yes I wonder too! From what I learned on tnet the load could have been for game or military load.

Calabash digger I already know that you are a great detectorist.
Huh???
When I have the time, I am going to make a larger frame to attached image to get more space, then I will add each piece as
to the image as Keith finds them. I can always rearrange & add text or change it at anytime. But it is only an image. Keith's
final display will be super. Funny you mentioned buck & balls & cloth. I agree it is extremely rare, if not unique, to find a loaded, ready for "battle" 1700's flintlock. That weapon was ready to go !!! I just chopped in the buck & balls & cloth last night. I'll work on changing the frame size & chop in the newly found "Thumb Plate".

Jose I really appreciate your images and replies to this post. I wish I knew how to do the nice photo work, but I don’t, so thanks!! You have improved the quality of the post by consolidating the pieces and have made this story more complete!

View attachment 1870021 [

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer relic, congrats! :occasion14:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I Will look into this process! That would look great.

Be sure to keep that wood piece wet until you decide how to preserve it. It may crumble otherwise. Best of luck. What am I saying? You're having the best of luck! :laughing7:

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
I really am so thankful to SC for keeping us updated on this. Thanks to treasure net too. We are lucky to be able to witness this, even if just online.
This keeps me logging in. I’m certain the buttplate will be recovered if SK keeps it up.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These parts are amazing finds, they have to be from a VERY expensive musket. My thought is that it was a custom made hunting piece probably made for a wealthy man with a military background. I would definitely pound that area flat looking for every bit I could find, there's likely to be a patchbox cover in there somewhere as well.

If these were my finds... and oh I wish they were :icon_thumright:, I would be thinking very seriously about having a musket built around them using a period lock and a new barrel and stock. They're just too nice to not be used for their intended purpose in my mind.

Last edited:

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome S C relic ! Combined finds of a lifetime.

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on these magnificent finds. The original flintlock was a true work of art. When it was made craftsmen made practical items that were truely beautiful and a joy to use. I know you will keep searching the site to be sure you have all the pieces of this magnificent weapon. Historically speaking preserving the wood and displaying the pieces attached to the original wood is probably best. But having an old piece of wood shaped for the flintlock and a new barrel attached so you can see what the original looked like would be wonderful as well. Good luck what ever you decide and I hope your detecting luck holds and you find it all. Stay safe and may your coil lead you to even more good things.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another fantastic find. I think you've now proven that the entire gun is there in that muck. It's a beautiful piece and you did a nice job on the preservation of the escutcheon. I'm sure you did, but I hope you kept that piece of stock intact and are researching how to preserve it as well.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on getting the silver escutcheon, it mirrors that beauty of the previous pieces found.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
another episode of the unfolding epic event here on t-net...its like a series I watch on notflix! another nail biting chapter at it's best
theres still a couple of major components still out there...again I hope you find them all and have a finale like no other

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude... DUDE! I second the guy who says you should rent a backhoe! I'd kick in for it, lol. As long as you keep posting pics of this magnificent weapon.

I'd wish you good luck finding the rest of it, but I don't think you really need it. You seem to be doing just fine.

HessianHunter

Jul 24, 2016
Massachusettss
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are killing me! Absolutely unreal! Love seeing your posts, some true quality finds!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dreams are made of silver
Great find