Flintlock Site gives up another awesome Solid Silver Find!!

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I returned to the 1700s flintlock site hoping to score the butt plate and instead found the silver escutcheon thumb piece! I was surprised to see the piece still attached to part of the stock after being in wet muck since The Rev War era. Three of the 1774 John King silver ornaments have been found now on separate hunts.
All of the pieces have the trophy of arms theme symbolizing military victory.

538EEACA-396C-4D39-A41F-0F1AED069CF1.jpeg BA4AF878-B6FA-4750-9EBC-BC461C7FD696.jpeg 5415D6C2-BA2F-4B40-856B-E9DB53BD512C.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 51

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tremendous! Yet another work of art. You are spoiling us. Are you planning on preserving the wood so that the silver piece can be reattached for display?

OP
OP
SC Keith

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tremendous! Yet another work of art. You are spoiling us. Are you planning on preserving the wood so that the silver piece can be reattached for display?
Yes I Will look into this process! That would look great.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go rent a backhoe

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is simply no end to the amazing finds there! :notworthy:

ScriptRhythm

Sep 12, 2020
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe you found that still attached to a piece of the stock - Beautiful!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally amazing my friend!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Keith! I was hoping your could find some of the smaller inlays. Keep pulling the moden trash out and you just might get the rest of it :thumbsup:

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This a FANTASTIC journey you are taking us on !!Thanks for sharing with us. I know I speak for others also when I say so much is being learned from following you along with your treasure hunt. I had a feeling yesterday that the escutcheon piece would be the next one you would find! Until your postings & the postings of others here, I have learned many new terms that are associated with a flintlock pistol, as well as the histories of J. Heylin & J. King. Your first post about your finds led to
"Rubka888" posting about the "ecutcheon plate" that he found @ almost the same time. What are the odds on that? !!
On a side note, the Heylin/King example on Dana Williams' web page has a cock/hammer that looks to be silver with a little design etched in. I don't think they had chrome back then. Nickel was invented/discovered in 1751 but I don't think it is
polished nickel. Also, from Dana Williams' site, The brass sideplate on the cock/hammer side has an engraving you can barely see that says; "HEYLIN". You might be able to see it if you zoom in on the example I'm including in this post.
Also again, about a week ago I found an image of a flintlock on the web that is similar to the one on Dana Williams' site, but it too is just a little different than yours or the other one. But, the brass sideplate on this one also has some engraving on it but I can't make it out. It will be great when you find that piece also. See images & click on them to enlarge. Then, what I do, view the image at at its maximum you can get from this site & view that with a magnifying glass. You will be able to see the "HEYLIN" on the brass plate.
Keep the cool stuff coming & thanks again for sharing this exciting journey !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Flintlock Pistol#2.png

image.jpg

Attachments

• dana-williams-111-0009d1280hpix.jpg
    dana-williams-111-0009d1280hpix.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This a FANTASTIC journey you are taking us on !!Thanks for sharing with us. I know I speak for others also when I say so much is being learned from following you along with your treasure hunt. I had a feeling yesterday that the escutcheon piece would be the next one you would find! Until your postings & the postings of others here, I have learned many new terms that are associated with a flintlock pistol, as well as the histories of J. Heylin & J. King. Your first post about your finds led to
"Rubka888" posting about the "ecutcheon plate" that he found @ almost the same time. What are the odds on that? !!
On a side note, the Heylin/King example on Dana Williams' web page has a cock/hammer that looks to be silver with a little design etched in. I don't think they had chrome back then. Nickel was invented/discovered in 1751 but I don't think it is
polished nickel. Also, from Dana Williams' site, The brass sideplate on the cock/hammer side has an engraving you can barely see that says; "HEYLIN". You might be able to see it if you zoom in on the example I'm including in this post.
Also again, about a week ago I found an image of a flintlock on the web that is similar to the one on Dana Williams' site, but it too is just a little different than yours or the other one. But, the brass sideplate on this one also has some engraving on it but I can't make it out. It will be great when you find that piece also. See images & click on them to enlarge. Then, what I do, view the image at at its maximum you can get from this site & view that with a magnifying glass. You will be able to see the "HEYLIN" on the brass plate.
Keep the cool stuff coming & thanks again for sharing this exciting journey !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 1870005

View attachment 1870006

Works of art

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful piece! I was going to suggest the thumb piece might be more historically valuable with it attached to the wood part of the stock. Good luck with that. Thanks for sharing with us!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm at a loss for words. . . I think everyone is on the edge of their seat and can't wait for your next episode at the John King site. You've unearthed some of John King's best work and stired our imaginations of how this saga may have ended for the original owner of this flintlock. As others have said, there are still pieces to be found and no place is ever hunted out. It's out there :)

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show us how you end up displaying all the parts but don't make it a closed display because you may end up finding more. I think finding the buck and balls and cloth still in it was so cool and I imagine extremely rare. It just makes the mind wander on how it was lost primed and ready to shoot.

Last edited:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just in awe sitting here watching the drama unfold. Keep it up Keith!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Show us how you end up displaying all the parts but don't make it a closed display because you may end up finding more. I think finding the buck and balls and cloth still in it was so cool and I imagine extremely rare. It just makes the mind wander on how it was lost primed and ready to shoot.

When I have the time, I am going to make a larger frame to attached image to get more space, then I will add each piece as
to the image as Keith finds them. I can always rearrange & add text or change it at anytime. But it is only an image. Keith's
final display will be super. Funny you mentioned buck & balls & cloth. I agree it is extremely rare, if not unique, to find a loaded, ready for "battle" 1700's flintlock. That weapon was ready to go !!! I just chopped in the buck & balls & cloth last night. I'll work on changing the frame size & chop in the newly found "Thumb Plate".
SC Keith's Flintlock Pistol#2.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread