Modern Arrowhead

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been admiring the arrowhead finds fellow members have made. This one I scored last Sunday is not what I had in mind. Many years ago when I was a teen I did pick many Native American stone points from the farm fields in my homeland in upstate NY. With my metal detector I find many non-retrieved arrows lost by deer hunters and pass them on to a local hunter with a year-round deer nuisance permit. Sometimes I get surprised by these when responding to a target and have to be careful not to get cut.

I was not far from a forest trail when four women came along with their hands up saying don't shoot. I was wearing orange and metal detecting. I politely scolded them for not wearing orange.

tres161.jpg

Upvote 9

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, let your tool do the dirt removal, not your fingers. Gloves are important! And wearing orange in the woods is a good idea. Where I live, something is open season any time of the year.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool find! Always wear orange in the woods detecting, good lesson for the ladies. :occasion14:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, let your tool do the dirt removal, not your fingers. Gloves are important! And wearing orange in the woods is a good idea. Where I live, something is open season any time of the year.
I learned that the hard way... one day I pulled my hand out of the plug to see one of my fingers all bloody, I said oh well and kept digging until it got to dark to see haha.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunters that don't retrieve their arrows and leave these razor tips around are the nuisance!

I find many non-retrieved arrows lost by deer hunters and pass them on to a local hunter with a year-round deer nuisance permit.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've pulled a few of those next to a popular MTN bike trail here

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALWAYS wear orange while in the woods during any hunting season. Cousin, in upstate NY, took a high powered rifle round thru the groin, while in the woods and no orange. Hunter "mistook" him for a deer.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... I've happened upon a few of those myself.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You shoot, you miss, the arrow goes into the grass at high speed and is gone. I always looked for my lost arrows but never found most of them. I even went back with a detector to try and find one with no luck. Arrows and points aren't cheap. No one would leave one in the woods on purpose. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread