Banning starting to give up its silver...

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I got permission to hunt an early 30's house and was hoping to find more than just the rosie and merc below, but I was happy to have just gotten some silver using my Silver uMax with 12x10 coil. I also got three wheaties, the oldest of which dates to 1947.

It was a large yard and I noticed that there was between 3-4 inches of "newer" dirt above the old, compacted dirt that originally covered the front and side yards. So lots and lots of clad dimes and pennies. The two silver dimes were at about 6" each, which probably made them about 2" buried down in the original dirt layer. Here's the scan of the dimes cleaned up:

Ray

Attachments

• silver_dimes.jpg
    silver_dimes.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 597
Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Merc almost looks brand new.

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Ray on the Rosie and Merc . I'd take those anyday and remember silver is silver . Wtg ... ;D

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Nice silver, Ray. You know Banning was founded as a town (inc) 1913 or there abouts, before that Banning was a Stage Stop.... Get in the right area and I'll bet there's a good chance you'll find lots of silver and even a gold coin or two! Happy Hunting and good luck

Desertfox

OP
OP
Ray in CA

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Thanks folks!

Desertfox,

Yep, I know. But the stage stop in Banning is a historical landmark. Can't detect it. But there are coins there. I know one of the workers there at the Gilman Ranch Park and Museum and he told me he found a V-nickel there. No problemo, though, because I know of another area where the stage had stopped, and it isn't a historical landmark. Only the foundations remain, but I haven't had time to check it out yet.

Ray

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
way to go Ray ! sounds like your doing your homework ;) goodluck to ya

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Ray, glad to see you did your home work. Good luck digging on that second stage stop site you found. HH and let us know what you find!

Desertfox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread