Glad I Looked Before I Tossed This... Kinda Neat

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just reading last night here in the forum about folks who went back over their "junk" and ended up finding some cool things after cleaning up said junk. That just happened to me as well.

Yesterday I was hunting around an old house and barn and dug a ton of scrap metal and stuff. I dug this one ruler-sized scrap of bent up metal and didn't even give it a moment's attention until later when I was emptying out my bag and noticed it had some markings on it. I cleaned it up as best as I could and realized it was part of an old thermometer. I got the idea it was really old based on the funny markings it had in places, like "Blood Heat," "Fever Heat," and "Spirit Boils." It's stamped up top with "E. Kendall, N. Lebanon Spa, N.Y."

I did a little research and it turns out the full name of the maker is Edwin Kendall, and he was making thermometers in that town (also called Lebanon Springs) between 1859 and 1863. He and his brothers all got into the business from their father, Thomas Kendall, who was the first manufacturer to standardize thermometer markings (boiling point of water, freezing point, etc.) back in the 1820s, and the family went on to have great success, also making some of the first barometers. To this day the Kendall brand makes state-of-the-art thermometers for hospitals, labs, etc.

Anyway, as a history buff I thought this was really neat, and it helped me get some more dating proof for my site. Moral of the story: Check that junk before you toss it!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• Thermometer_small2.jpg
    Thermometer_small2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 713
Upvote 0

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice piece of americana history . Congrats ... ;D

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brendan, that's a great rediscovery. Some things aren't what they appear to be when first dug.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet you just helped me id the one i found a couple days ago!!!!!!
cool find and thanks for the info!!!!

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does the one you found look like?

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone else also found one like that earlier in the year and mentioned those strange markings. Neat find.

Nat

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bmanley99 said:
What does the one you found look like?

Looks pretty identical to yours....hard to see the maker. mine is beat up.

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad I didn't find the whole thing. I hear they command a pretty penny among collectors...

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea that figures..i found mine way out in a farm field where the farmer said there was an old barn and well...

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Now if that ain't a fanny burner I just don't know what is. Congrats on a nice piece of history! HH All

Desertfox

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, everyone. It's great how a fun relic will turn a mediocre day into a gem.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Great Job on researching and on an awesome find! You not only found a piece of history, but the person behind that item...which makes it priceless in it's own rights!!!!!!!!

That's what I love about this wonderful hobby...the amazing items we find and then learning the history of it!!! Wish you found that here, then it would go in my book! (Writing a book on the family history of this area...not just one family...all the families from when they first arrived here to 31 Dec 1999...a genealogical tree of the people of the Hampton Roads area!).

And to think, I was bored in history class in school and look what I'm doing now! LOL

Hope you find many more wonderful pieces of history!!!

HH,
Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions