The Solid Silver Butt Plate for the Flintlock has been Found and itís Beautiful!! - Page 4
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: The Solid Silver Butt Plate for the Flintlock has been Found and itís Beautiful!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    6010 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    When I look at all the silver components of this firearm, I can't help but think of Wiley Grover Higgins (1799-1859). Born in Laurens Co., SC, moving to Monroe Co., GA at the age of 25, and then on to my home county of Macon in 1838. He was one of this nation's most renowned gun makers. I was made aware of him by a local gentleman who also makes reproductions of early firearms. Another friend at a bottle show told me that the University of Georgia had a temporary display of early Georgia flintlocks that I should check out. They were all very impressive, but Wiley's work stole the show. To see so many examples of his work gathered from various collections was mindblowing. I stayed in that room until closing time just trying to absorb the detail of his craft. Amazing that something like this could be done by hand. No CNC mills, no laser cutters. Here are a few pictures of his flintlocks that were on display, including the famous Gamecock. I'm impressed by the range of his creativeness in the different designs. I've also been told that he made a pair of pistols for Andrew Jackson which are said to be housed at the Hermitage Museum in Nashville.

For more pictures of what is probably the most stunning piece of his work, check out MESDA at this link: https://mesda.org/item/collections/long-rifle/21804/

To think that many of these were made not 5 miles from where I live is unreal, and I'll bet that 99% of the locals have never heard of him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiley2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	968.3 KB 
ID:	1874575   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiley4.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	1874576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiley1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	1874577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiley3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1874578  
    Last edited by sandchip; Oct 25, 2020 at 11:42 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9193 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Beautiful pieces! I'm amazed that the tiny sharp point is still there on that butt plate. Looks like it would be easy to accidentally break off.
    ​Avitech Associate

Quote Originally Posted by Back-of-the-boat View Post
    Great find I am glad you found it. But I am like Smokey, there are other pieces still waiting for you, every metal piece on that gun was more than likely silver, so there are still some out there waiting for you to find them. I also now think instead of just having them displayed they are aching to be re-assembled on a beautiful stock of walnut burl. We are setting high goals for you, but you are delivering the goods. But in the end they are yours to do with as you please, just keep us informed if you find anymore and please show us your final results on displaying them. I love this journey you are taking us on with this beautiful piece of craftsmanship being brought back from it's grave into a resurrected state. You should name it Lazarus as you are bringing it back from the dead.
    Thanks Back of Boat! It would look awesome on the walnut burl!

Quote Originally Posted by pepperj View Post
    What a work of art, congratulations on getting the piece.
    Thanks pepperj! It is art to my eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B from VA View Post
    Congratulations! All of those pieces are museum quality finds. You should have four banners.
    Thanks Donnie! I appreciate the compliments!

Quote Originally Posted by treblehunter View Post
    wow such a beautiful piece! Congrats, banner vote even if you have other banners with the other parts of that historic gun
    Thanks Treblehunter!

Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    When I look at all the silver components of this firearm, I can't help but think of Wiley Grover Higgins (1799-1859). Born in Laurens Co., SC, moving to Monroe Co., GA at the age of 25, and then on to my home county of Macon in 1838. He was one of this nation's most renowned gun makers. I was made aware of him by a local gentleman who also makes reproductions of early firearms. Another friend at a bottle show told me that the University of Georgia had a temporary display of early Georgia flintlocks that I should check out. They were all very impressive, but Wiley's work stole the show. To see so many examples of his work gathered from various collections was mindblowing. I stayed in that room until closing time just trying to absorb the detail of his craft. Amazing that something like this could be done by hand. No CNC mills, no laser cutters. Here are a few pictures of his flintlocks that were on display, including the famous Gamecock. I'm impressed by the range of his creativeness in the different designs. I've also been told that he made a pair of pistols for Andrew Jackson which are said to be housed at the Hermitage Museum in Nashville.

For more pictures of what is probably the most stunning piece of his work, check out MESDA at this link: https://mesda.org/item/collections/long-rifle/21804/

To think that many of these were made not 5 miles from where I live is unreal, and I'll bet that 99% of the locals have never heard of him.
    . Thanks Sandchip! I love the images too. These guns are spectacular craftsmanship and I will be learning all I can about them. I also am a big fan of MESDA and hope to visit there.

Quote Originally Posted by cudamark View Post
    Beautiful pieces! I'm amazed that the tiny sharp point is still there on that butt plate. Looks like it would be easy to accidentally break off.
    . The point is actually a small sword. I will try to post a pic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B80D481-B631-44C0-B3DB-570AF5842BD4.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	1874777
    Last edited by SC Keith; Oct 26, 2020 at 10:51 AM.

My god man!! Beautiful is an understatement. What an absolutely incredible piece! Finding something like that is exceptionally rare...nevermind finding all of the pieces. Congrats on a once in a lifetime recovery!
    SC Keith and calabash digger like this.
    Velox Versutus Vigilans

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    6010 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SC Keith View Post
    ...The point is actually a small sword...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2B80D481-B631-44C0-B3DB-570AF5842BD4.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	1874777
    Even more amazing!

Charter Member
    us
    May 2007
    central pa
    Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
    455 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    got my banner vote - just beautiful

vp

us
    May 2018
    Athens Georgia
    Garret AT pro
    1072 times
    Metal Detecting
    That is so cool! Look at those mortars! what a work of art
    The universe rewards the observant.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    10463 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Wow! That's the best piece yet Keith. How big of an area were these gun part coming from? I like the idea of havig them incorporated into a gun. There are certainly some smaller pieces missing like the ram rod guides, nose cap, some smaller decorative inlays, and possibly a patch box cover, but these could be added later if found.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; Oct 26, 2020 at 10:20 AM.
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 20
    Half Reals = 31
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars
    Civil War Plates
    VA Militia Cross Belt, CS Tongue, CS Wreath, VMM, US Box, Model 1851 Sword, Militia Plate w/Star

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    73239 times
    Well done.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    May 2007
    central pa
    Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
    455 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    banner for sure - incredible find!! congrats

vp

Just catching up with this now. Amazing!
    calabash digger and SC Keith like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42153 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That is freakin nice great display piece
    SC Keith likes this.
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

us
    Apr 2013
    Eastern Massachusetts
    AT Pro, XP Deus
    4946 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    So beautiful...Talk about " Once in a life time"....Congrats!
    SC Keith likes this.

lu
    shinyrockman

Nov 2020
    Luxemborger
    Shiny rock detector 5000 deluxe edition
    13 times
    this is truly amazing. can you just imagine a butt plate with all its pieces together? instant n u t .
    nkellam22 and SC Keith like this.

us
    Apr 2003
    South Carolina
    Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
    668 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    That is one heck of a find! Love the mortor cannon on it.
    Last edited by SCdigger; Nov 11, 2020 at 10:43 AM.
    SC Keith likes this.
    ================================================== ==========
    "Saving History"
    Bringing you metal detecting videos since 2006.
    Subscribe for the latest releases - http://www.youtube.com/scdigger
    ================================================== ==========

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links