Very close to the dreams coming true!

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck!
Today headed back to the same area of the dolphin. Honestly I couldn't sleep last night :laughing7:
I decided to use the 13 inch X35 coil, send 98 boost mode, desc 0, react 0. On the same path a few coins were left behind and I collected them. Once I arrived near the area were I found the dolphin, I began searching very carefully. Every single signal was very important. Nothing interesting came out so I headed south. Not far, only 29 meters away, an uncertain sound made me very excited.
As I removed a little bit o f soil, the sound became smoother but still uncertain. It was ferrous mixed with non ferrous. The pinpointer got crazy. A lot of pottery came out first. The MI6 is very sensible to the lottery but it was not the case. After removing the pottery 4 or 5 big nails came out. Almost the same shape.

P_20201024_190035_1_1.jpg First I thought I was wrong and it was all about the nails but after checking again, the sound was very lovely. I've been digging for about 60 cm and the target was still there.
Removed some more soil and I saw the back of a bronze cup. What the heck! A thousand thoughts passed by.
After 20 minutes it was ready to come out. Sorry for not taking pictures. It was only an empty bronze cup :sadsmiley:
P_20201024_190108_1.jpg
Removed the cup and checked again and a higher tone came from 70 cm deep. My hopes resurrected.
Just 5 cm deep was this kind of brooch or maybe part of a horse girth.
P_20201024_190118_1_1.jpg
Anyway, I was expecting other(you know what I mean:laughing7:). I thought my dreams came true. Believe me, it's a strange feeling that you can't resist. P_20201024_152310.jpg
This is a 22 grams bronze coin. I hardly can notice the double face of Ianus, the one who watched the future and the past at the same time.
P_20201024_190230_1.jpg
Wish you all the best and good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 28

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find!:occasion14:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very outstanding hunt once again. Interestingly, the two faced Ianus (janus) is where our first month Janurary is derived. Out with the old and in with the new. Much more background on that if one wishes to delve.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Thanks for sharing with us!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to check I understand?
Where all the nails above the bronze cup & the buckle looking thing under it (all in same hole)?
The buckle looking thing reminds me of Roman Military Buckles but not sure why it has the roller bit.:icon_scratch:

Yes, I think I may have been thinking hoard as well.:laughing7:

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to check I understand?
Where all the nails above the bronze cup & the buckle looking thing under it (all in same hole)?
The buckle looking thing reminds me of Roman Military Buckles but not sure why it has the roller bit.:icon_scratch:

Yes, I think I may have been thinking hoard as well.:laughing7:

All the stuff was on the same hole just under the pottery. They were very close to the cup and the buckle. P_20201024_211917.jpg

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A better idea of what I was expecting.

P_20201024_214254_1_1.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gut reaction is that the cup might actually a bronze Chariot Wheel "hubcap" or axle cap. The big buckle and nails make me think something else was going on. If it is an ancient hubcap it's worth good money. Awesome finds Vince nice Roman Janus As too!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gut reaction is that the cup might actually a bronze Chariot Wheel "hubcap" or axle cap. The big buckle and nails make me think something else was going on. If it is an ancient hubcap it's worth good money. Awesome finds Vince nice Roman Janus As too!
Interesting ID, I thought it odd looking for a bowl, but never seen anything quite like it. How would it of fixed on the wheel, can't see any fittings? Or did the lip help hold it?

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really sure about the different ways they were attached but if it is an axle cap then pegging and maybe crimping, the bends in the lip suggest it may have been pried off of something but ya can't beat holding and studying something in-hand. Figured I'd suggest the possibility but I don't personally own any Chariot hubcaps so could be way off.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks buddy!
I was thinking the same, wow, but for some reason I changed my mind. There were different kinds of pottery and my first idea was of an abandoned chariot full of potteries. If so, I should have other targets.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second outstanding day in a row Vince! The dolphin is killer and i completely understand your hopes when digging this stuff today. Something had been there with the nails and the finds in layers all topped with pottery. Could just been a trash pit and your hoarde will come another day! :occasion14:

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second outstanding day in a row Vince! The dolphin is killer and i completely understand your hopes when digging this stuff today. Something had been there with the nails and the finds in layers all topped with pottery. Could just been a trash pit and your hoarde will come another day! :occasion14:

I have never been digging 70 cm so it was the perfect case. When I saw the back of the cup I imagined different shapes and different things inside :laughing7:
Let's wait for the next occasion :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another outstanding coin find !
Can you post a pic of the reverse?
Don.......

Based on a few details, I think this is it.

Roman republic. AE As. Club and P series. 209-208 BC. 20.56 g. Laureate head of Janus, horizontal I above, P below / Prow right; I above, club on side of deck house, P on side of hull, ROMA below

Screenshot_20201025-073026656_1.jpg

P_20201025_065839_1.jpg
P_20201025_065907_1_1.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BP/Heart rate elevated a tad Vince?
The little tingly adrenaline rush goes through veins when digging something, that could be something we dream about-and that's what it is all about.
Very few on this site get to have experiences of digging such items that you do, and for you, I hope someday it does come true. (hoard speaking)

Big congrats on the latest hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions