Joined a New Club This Weekend - Admission Fee: $1 Dollar!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Privileged to get another invite to one of Smokey's various incredible relic site permissions this weekend and boy am I thankful I did not turn it down (but that was really never in question). Turned out to be a great relic day and one of the best single day hauls for me ever. The Deus could do no wrong and the freshly harvested field had plenty of goodies churned up relatively shallow and well in range of the 11" x35 coil. Was using a Deus fast variant with Pitch tones and frequency at 12 khz. All in all I snagged close to 40 relic keepers over the course of the day. Minie and round balls, a pistol bullet, and other lead blobs, brass buckles and suspender clips, a tiny flower button, a flattened Eagle Button and the face of a New York State regimental button. A few flat buttons and some miscellaneous brass odds and ends. Overall it was a spectacular hunt and I enjoyed every minute of it. Here's a pic of the entire day's haul:

20201122_163334.jpg

As great as that was, I forgot to mention the capper - and that's where the $1 club membership comes in:

Center of the above pic- fourth keeper target of the day:

20201122_163338.jpg

Less than an inch down, thought it could be a button but likely can slaw due to the lowish target ID of 45 - 47. Popped it with the pinpointer and out popped the glint of a gold disk. I knew what it was straight away.

20201122_103516.jpg

Smokey saw I had a target and yelled over "What did ya get" and I said matter of factly - "A Gold Coin". Smokey then said, what did you really get...

That's right - bucket list city, I joined the Gold Coin club with an 1849 Open Wreath $1 Gold Piece. It was surreal. Took the pic below with shaky hands, texted it to Smokey for proof, then dropped my detector, digger, and shovel right there and schlepped back to the truck to stow it away for safe keeping and ultimately continued on with the hunt. At that point the Deus really caught fire and the relics were jumping onto the coil. I swear that I probably could have shut off the Deus and it would still hit targets like a divining rod.

20201122_103802.jpg

So Happy Thanksgiving everyone and despite the dumpster fire that is 2020, seems there are a few bright spots to remember and be thankful for, nevertheless. Happy and Safe Hunting everyone.

20201122_194657.jpg 20201122_195512 (2).jpg

Upvote 101

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible V.....congrats !! Hope to see it up on the banner.....great work on a beautiful piece !!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted banner also. A lot of the gold I know of people digging have been at either one or two types of sites. Civil war camps or beaches. My first gold coin was found at a beach. My banner $5 was a recent drop at a local beach. Someone had it in one of those little screw type coin holders (you could see the tiny marks on it), and it came out! It wasn't there the day before, as I had been on that precise spot. Erik in NJ, actually I have people coming up in an hour or so, to dig today, so I have to go soon. Guys, it's cool to get gold, but I think I had more fun digging the 1870-80's bottles yesterday than I would have with a coin. And my Enfield butt plate, well, I was so excited I almost lost lunch - thought it was a plate, but the butt plate was better as I've dug plates. Plus, when I invite folks to me sites, they invite me to theirs, and they all know better than to take me to a hunted out place. My other buddy got a seated quarter the same day V got the gold coin. I think it was an 1861 in decent shape. All I got was lousy Confederate stuff.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!!!!:hello2::occasion14::notworthy:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I voted banner also. A lot of the gold I know of people digging have been at either one or two types of sites. Civil war camps or beaches. My first gold coin was found at a beach. My banner $5 was a recent drop at a local beach. Someone had it in one of those little screw type coin holders (you could see the tiny marks on it), and it came out! It wasn't there the day before, as I had been on that precise spot. Erik in NJ, actually I have people coming up in an hour or so, to dig today, so I have to go soon. Guys, it's cool to get gold, but I think I had more fun digging the 1870-80's bottles yesterday than I would have with a coin. And my Enfield butt plate, well, I was so excited I almost lost lunch - thought it was a plate, but the butt plate was better as I've dug plates. Plus, when I invite folks to me sites, they invite me to theirs, and they all know better than to take me to a hunted out place. My other buddy got a seated quarter the same day V got the gold coin. I think it was an 1861 in decent shape. All I got was lousy Confederate stuff.

It's a Blessing to have a group like this!!! I tip my hat to ya and NEVER change!!!!! GL&HH

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great day for relics retrieved from the earth... the dessert was spectacular gold!
Congrats!!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yahooooooooooo! It doesn't get any better than that. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I agree with secondstar. This is a well deserved find vferrari. You consistently go out of your way to share your knowledge with other members of this site, As they say...The Karma wheel spins. PS- Super Banner worthy!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's really special when you can share the moment with others when it does happen. Congrats on the your gold coin that really deserves a spot up there for sure.:occasion14:
Well done Smokey in providing a hunt site that produces as this one did.
My greatest anxiety in sharing a site is wanting the person to find good keeper.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOWZA!!!!!! Congrats on the Gold!!!! Banner for sure!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I said matter of factly - "A Gold Coin". Smokey then said, what did you really get..."

That just about says it all!
Stupendous find! :notworthy:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG, THAT Was such an Awesome Hunt...!
That GOLD Dollar Coin, alone rates a Banner Nomination, I'd say...! :icon_thumright:
Congrats on a Find of a lifetime - one that you'll remember forever...!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats awesome! Great work. I kinda want to wrap my nox around a tree. You smoked me. More than that all the good targets were ringing up as iron for me. I eeked out a few but felt like I left too much in the ground. I had the deus in the trunk. Oops. I knew better because I got one last time with the deus there.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WELCOME TO THE GOLD CLUB - I just joined myself :)

great feeling seeing that in the hole huh?

big congrats

vp

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new membership. I have been waiting 35 years for that membership. Must have got lost in the mail :laughing7:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to admit, I thought you were most likely headed in the silver dollar direction, not gold! As a non-member of either club, I remain envious and congratulate you big time on your gold coin find- my banner vote is in. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions