Dog Collar Tag Any Guesses On Date?

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting out detecting whenever I'm not working. I will get out there until the ground freezes solid. I enjoy the cold because the ticks are done and can wade into scrub now without leaves. I dress in a full orange parka with matching hat to minimize becoming a casualty of deer and waterfowl hunters.

After discovering a 1722 Rosa Americana a few weeks ago I have been coming up empty-handed for spectacular finds. Still the usual musket balls, nails, horse shoes and the like. I do feel dejection when spending the day in the fields without a score but by the next morning I am ready to swing again.

I'm working around NE costal wetlands first settled in the mid-1600's with many interesting cultural layers. Last Sunday I found these buried dog collar pieces which were probably worn by a hunting retriever. Looking for some guesses on a date range. I can guess the B stands for the Bennett clan which occupied this area for many years beginning in the colonial period with some descendents still around.

tres182.jpg tres183.jpg

Upvote 6
OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm making the assumption it is from their clan but there is no guarantee as these wetlands were hunted by many. I was searching their family tree for matching initials and accessing historical newspapers just wish I could narrow the search range down. I'm often amazed at the lack of interest in local histories by the descendants of our founding families.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at an 1873 map of my area I do see a C. Bennett residence marked about five miles away. If I had to make a guess, I would peg the date to the 1870's. Somebody who really knows buckles might know better. The script has quite a flourish and might provide a range.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! It is well that you recovered both parts together...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread