I Suppose Everyone Has A Digger's "Kiss" Horror Story

40 Rounds

Nov 26, 2016
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've watched a lot of metal detecting videos on Youtube of people hitting their target while digging it up. Seeing "Brad" from the Hoover boys scratch the Flowing Hair half dime/dime-(can't remember which it was) and dicing that French gold coin into 4 pieces comes to mind. Anyway I have not been at this hobby very long and have always tried to be careful digging all of my targets. Early on when I nicked a couple of modern coins and one or two wheats I tried to slow down and be extra careful but I am almost sick with what I did today to this 1902 Indian Head Penny. I was not expecting an Indian when I started to dig as the numbers on my detector were kind of jumpy. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised when I got it out of the hole. I started to clean it up a bit...and was getting annoyed at the stubborn piece of grass on my coin when I suddenly realized it was not grass but I must have hit it with my digger! Ugh!!! I know some of you folks probably have dozens or maybe even hundreds of IHPs you have recovered but this one is only my fourth and I really like IHPs. And this one is in pretty good shape...or at least it was before I dug it. I guess its better than getting "skunked". Sorry had to vent.

Anybody else have digger kiss horror stories they want to share?

Attachments

• 20201129_173139.jpg
    20201129_173139.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20201129_173216.jpg
    20201129_173216.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 15

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it might be easier to do this when digging in rocky soils. I'm spoiled in an area with no rocks and easy digging, but my last merc dime dug was in a rocky field, hunting friend's permission, and my digger slid off a rock and hit the merc like it was a digger magnet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread