Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the old high school to continue gridding the fields. The school is scheduled for tear down sometime in the spring and they are building houses on the property so if I don’t get it now it will probably be lost forever. I spent 5.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and the best finds were iffy signals. The first was a wide mid tone that sounded like a bunch of foil. I dug the plug and the target was still in the hole. So I scooped up some dirt and there was a key. I pinpointed again and there was another key. Again I pinpointed and out pops the brass coke bottle from a keychain. The keys are from a GM car in the days when you had one key for the ignition and a different one for the doors and trunk. This pair looks like they came from the 50’s or 60’s and the coke bottle key chain was produced during that time as well.

6DB3913E-0FB3-4ED4-88F1-296D502B7E31.jpeg

My second iffy find was a mixed high and low tone. I sometimes get a similar signal from deep nails, but I know sometimes there are goodies there so I dug it. The first thing out of the hole was a nail so I thought ok that explains it. I checked the hole and I was still getting a signal so I scooped more dirt onto my bucket lid. On top of the dirt was a medium sized chunk of foil. I put it in the junk pouch and pinpointed the remaining dirt on the lid and got a response. I cleared away some dirt and there was a .52 caliber sharps bullet in decent shape. It didn’t get mashed or beaten up like a lot of them are from the construction that has occurred here.

A0D271A7-196A-4E99-AC2F-CA3294BD738B.jpeg

All together I found 67 coins with a face value of $3.84, a brass belt buckle, an aluminum toy spoon, a 1941 wheatie, the Civil war bullet, the car keys and coke bottle fob, and a FIRESTONE wall anchor and the top of another one. I also found the usual assortment of trash, tabs, foil, can slaw and a few nails.

085DB84A-6A08-4BF0-900F-DDA8A86645AD.jpeg 2B2B4B38-729E-47BB-AA97-4C8059B45149.jpeg 8EA74578-F517-40D7-97A9-6E68370294BF.jpeg

I went to an elementary school and did a little detecting on a field used by the local soccer league. I have been here a few times before and I usually find a little change, but nothing special normally. I did detect this field several years ago in search of a gold wedding band lost by one of the soccer coaches. They weren’t sure where it was lost, just that it was on this field. So I started swingin on one end of the field and searched the whole thing. It took several trips in the cold and about 8 hours of swingin, but I found the ring 4 feet from the other end of the field. If I had started at the other end my job would have been done quickly. He was happy to get the ring back that he thought was lost forever.

This hunt yielded 50 coins with a face value of $3.33, a 1982 Canadian penny, a Tasmanian devil pendant, a Tweetie bird earring, a Cedar Point squashed penny, and a real cheapy heart pendant, and foil and tabs as usual.

CF0B3E82-577A-437C-9420-0FF3B16B55C4.jpeg

The snow mostly melted at the scout camp and the ground thawed so I took a day and went swingin the CZ21. I did a little jumping around trying different spots to see if my luck was good. In 6 hours I found 145 coins with a face value of $11.53, 23 camp tent pegs, fishing sinkers and lures, 3 pin backs, a mashed .22 slug, a ring off the top of a plaque, a rope tensioner, a St. Louis pin, a 2 year pin, a neckerchief slide, a brass cross, a bolo tie end, a nicely mushroomed lead bullet, a decorative piece of aluminum, some tabs and some metallic rocks.

8D66B37D-C801-47E6-880A-32C2076ADABC.jpeg

The brass cross is from a Roman Catholic religious medal (the Ad Altare Dei medal). Piece of aluminum looks like it is part of an animal shapes ring.

C47799BD-3A91-412B-91C6-E6F5E6CBEE60.jpeg 7D4EE331-D0A5-4C1B-871B-C3F5FBB10B48.jpeg

The metallic rocks are a mystery. I have found about 15 or 20 of these in camp over the years. I first thought they were meteorites but now I am pretty sure the are meteor wrongs. These 5 have a decent carbon crust and are NOT magnetic. When you file off a corner they have a silver color to them. Can anyone out there tell me what kind of metal this is? I thought it might be nickel, but from what I read nickel is magnetic in its pure form. The nickel coins are not magnetic because of the other metals in the allow used for the coin. Any help would be appreciated.

D16B62AE-A5C0-41D8-A4DE-9B944817FC79.jpeg 1316777B-63B4-4331-9A6A-F3895D6F0760.jpeg

So the old man is still out there swingin. With a little history, a good supply of gas money, a few interesting items and fresh air fun at a social distance. It would be nice to find a little gold or silver, but you take what you can find. Maybe next hunt. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 10

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really important that you are out there to save all of these great items before they are lost to construction. Well done!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really important that you are out there to save all of these great items before they are lost to construction. Well done!

The bullet and other older finds will be donated to the county museum. The fun for me is in the finding. The objects are worth more as historic artifacts and should be there for everyone who is interested. Thanks for the reply, stay safe and keep swingin.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds, congrats!!! "D"

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
venturing a guess on the "metal non-magnetic rocks"...back in the late 60s early 70s we used to toss tent pegs into fires after they had bent/snapped/ or were otherwise useless. I remember that aluminum pegs were beginning to emerge at the time. For that matter, we were kinda pyro minded, and everything went into the fire...ah, Boy Scout summer camps in Texas....90 degrees at 10 o'clock at night...and we had fires. Not the smartest thing, but boy did we have fun!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, tnt, you hunted for a lot of hours! You got a lot of good finds for your efforts, even a souvenir from Ohio. (Of course I picked up on that) Congrats and kudos for donating to the museum.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
venturing a guess on the "metal non-magnetic rocks"...back in the late 60s early 70s we used to toss tent pegs into fires after they had bent/snapped/ or were otherwise useless. I remember that aluminum pegs were beginning to emerge at the time. For that matter, we were kinda pyro minded, and everything went into the fire...ah, Boy Scout summer camps in Texas....90 degrees at 10 o'clock at night...and we had fires. Not the smartest thing, but boy did we have fun!

I appreciate your thoughts and I do remember guys throwing all kinds of things in the campfires as well. I do find lots of melted aluminum from cans and tin foil dinners, but these rocks are very heavy so the metal is not aluminum. I have also found melted chunks of lead and signs that they may have molded their own sinkers for the metalwork merit badge. But they are not mailable like lead. If you hit one hard with a hammer it breaks apart instead of denting and bending like lead does.

Unfortunately still a mystery. Thanks again for your thoughts, stay safe and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread