Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to the Fort Which was built on an Indian Shellmound I have gotten a lot of good things but it’s so hard digging you have soil white shells clam shells oyster shells and red brick mixed in there. I doubt if anybody else Could hit it like I hit it with my shovel. I’ve broke all my shovels but this one is strong call lit Ol’ Heavy. A good 12 inches down red brick at 8 inches I found this lock. Same place where I found my Indian tomahawks and revolutionary buttons. I’m going to start the Electrolysis snd bring this beauty back to life IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 30

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I look forward to seeing the pic's. The lock should really clean up nice. Hey Truth, I don't know if you have ever used the product Gemplers on iron relics. The product turns the iron black, but I think it gives the pieces a nice restored look while preventing any further rusting of the iron. I used this on my lock and some of my artillery pieces and was pleased with the results. Again, it turns the iron black if you don't mind the iron with a black finish. I don't work in any way with Gemplers, I'm just a fan of their product.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice padlock find, Truth! Lok forward to see it after electrolysis! Congrats! thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice padlock find, Truth! Lok forward to see it after electrolysis! Congrats! thanks for sharing.

Here’s some pictures that I saw at 4 o’clock so I got a leave them in overnight again because not all the rust is gone and then I have to clean up that brass which I probably won’t be shining but I could read the makers mark

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Truth, Where's the treasure chest that lock was attached too ? Spanish gold lol TP

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool find Truth, I love old locks!

vp

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... In the keyhole where that round metal part on top is that a broken key or it’s made like that?

View attachment 1886481

Nice job cleaning it up with electrolysis.
I think some locks were made like that. The key would have had a hollow end that the metal would fit into. It probably made it more secure. Similar to modern vending machine keys with the hollow end. padlock-keys-isolated-on-white-600w-482769247.jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It wasn't so much as extra security, but would align the key properly. Earlier versions like the lock I just found had a hole in the back of the lock for alignment of the key.

Attachments

• smokehouse lock (reverse).jpg
    smokehouse lock (reverse).jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job cleaning it up with electrolysis.
I think some locks were made like that. The key would have had a hollow end that the metal would fit into. It probably made it more secure. Similar to modern vending machine keys with the hollow end. View attachment 1886808

Hey Pete I appreciate you posting that pic I didn’t notice skeleton keys had a hollow front. Again I appreciate it

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It wasn't so much as extra security, but would align the key properly. Earlier versions like the lock I just found had a hole in the back of the lock for alignment of the key.

Hey Erik i’m a cook it overnight one last time and on the brass piece I can see the word “Patent”I’m going to use a light abrasive to see if there was a second word after.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice lock and the cleanup seems to be going well... Looking good! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is two days of cooking and I’m going to do one more overnight I hope that I can make out what’s on the brass piece. I can make out the word PATENT IMG_0906.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice lock and the cleanup seems to be going well... Looking good! :thumbsup:

Hey Wildcat I appreciate you checking it out and leaving a comment. It’s coming how long I’m going to cook it overnight they still have a little rust on it

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think this is the lock that I have I can see the word “Patton” on my lock’s brass cover. 1800s Brass Padlock & Steel Key Marked PATENT FANCY KEYHOLE COVER
MEasures 2 5/8" by 2" by 1/2" IMG_0909.jpg

Last edited:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Truth , Happy Fa la la to you too :occasion14: Hot here and wind is blowing like hell . TP

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All right guys well this is the before and after. The brass piece I could see the word “patent” but from trying to clean it with a baking soda and liquid soap it got a little clearer but I couldn’t read the word anymore in full so I’m gonna leave it like it is. I appreciate you guys thank you
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0889.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg
IMG_0911.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread