A REALE "Walking back to car" story

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or at least half reale!:laughing7:

I have been exploring another old farm field this week. On Sunday, I found the pewter spoon bowls, the door knob plate, and a couple buttons. I went back yesterday to beat the snow and found a few buckles and a really nice round ball. It was getting dark, so I made my way back towards my car, crossing another field I thought I had already "cleaned out." I swung anyway and got a faint but interesting tone with a VDI dancing around 19-21 on the Equinox. I dug the target and knew I had some sort of small silver coin, but I couldn't see it, as it was now almost completely dark. As I drove home, I was thinking what it might be. The VDI was too high for a trime, but too low for a half dime or regular dime. I was hoping maybe Spanish silver or capped bust, but panicked thinking it could be one of those little aluminum round tags with the words "tear down" on it; maybe you have seen those. I was really happy when I looked at it inside, and saw that it was a 1792 half reale. It is well worn, and I can't see a mint mark to determine which colony it is from, but I am nonetheless pumped with my first Spanish silver. As for the other finds, I am curious about the spoon bowls, as I have not found pewter ones before. Any guesses on age based on design, as I am trying to date this location? The bigger one has a heart design, while the other has something more reminiscent of a scallop. How about the door plate? Any way, thanks for checking out my post. Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• 20201216_190920.jpg
    20201216_190920.jpg
    511.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 20201216_191002.jpg
    20201216_191002.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201216_191748.jpg
    20201216_191748.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20201216_175421.jpg
    20201216_175421.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 30

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Spanish. Your in the right state for finding many more

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! Congratulations! Thank you for sharing with us all!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first Spanish silver... and the classic "on the way back to the car in the dark" way that you found it! :occasion14:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Certainly wasn't a hunt at that field, you know where nothing is real ???:laughing7:. Congrats on your first real (there's no "e" at the end 8-))

Nice bunch of finds there. The "door knob plate" is actually called a "rosette" (not to be confused with a bridle rosette) and is a great and your best find there as far as I'm concerned and a beautiful display piece I found my first this year too.

Here it is:

Attachments

• door knob rosette.jpg
    door knob rosette.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Certainly wasn't a hunt at that field, you know where nothing is real ???:laughing7:. Congrats on your first real (there's no "e" at the end 8-))

Nice bunch of finds there. The "door knob plate" is actually called a "rosette" (not to be confused with a bridle rosette) and is a great and your best find there as far as I'm concerned and a beautiful display piece I found my first this year too.

Here it is:

Ha ha... and the finds were nothing to get hung about. Thanks for the correction on the spelling of real. Maybe if I found more than one every hundred years I would have known. Looks like the 'e' is only used in the higher denomination coins with the 's'. Also, thanks for the ID on the Rosette. Yours looks real nice. How old do you think they are? Victorian or earlier?

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha ha... and the finds were nothing to get hung about. Thanks for the correction on the spelling of real. Maybe if I found more than one every hundred years I would have known. Looks like the 'e' is only used in the higher denomination coins with the 's'. Also, thanks for the ID on the Rosette. Yours looks real nice. How old do you think they are? Victorian or earlier?

I think the ones we found are both from the same era--possibly even the same manufacturer. They stem from around the turn of the century or so, so ca 1900. Looking forward to seeing yours cleaned up a bit. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OTWBTTC is like the call back phenomenon in ghost hunting.....lol
Congrats on a very typical best find OTWBTTC.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wooo hooo...having some good hunts up there lenmac65....congrats on the spanish reale !! Continued good luck to you sir !!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it is real for 1/2 and 1 denominations and reales above that. Your spoon with the collar is about 1850 to 1880. the other a little earlier. Your half real looks like it could have been in circulation for a long time, maybe up to 1830 or 40.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually it is real for 1/2 and 1 denominations and reales above that. Your spoon with the collar is about 1850 to 1880. the other a little earlier. Your half real looks like it could have been in circulation for a long time, maybe up to 1830 or 40.

Thanks for the clarification and info. I suspect you are right about the time in circulation, as it is well worn. I wish the guy or gal had lost it 20 or 30 years earlier :laughing7:.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Spanish silver. "On the way back to the car" seems to happen a lot. That's how I found my first 3 Cent Trime last week. I was only 30 feet from my truck when I found it. Don't shut those detectors off until you are 5 feet from your vehicle.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Spanish silver. "On the way back to the car" seems to happen a lot. That's how I found my first 3 Cent Trime last week. I was only 30 feet from my truck when I found it. Don't shut those detectors off until you are 5 feet from your vehicle.

Thanks! That's about how far I was from my car, 20 or 30 feet. I know I have gone over this same area with my AT Pro and Equinox. Maybe this coin was in a gap? Maybe I ignored the weak signal before? Maybe the wet soil helped, or the slower recovery speed? Who knows, but I'm glad I got it this time. I was only hoping for a button, but was happy to get a bucket lister for me. Can't wait for the snow to melt.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread