Chemeng

Greenie
Dec 22, 2020
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to treasure hunting. My wife bought me a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro detector for my birthday this past spring. Our property was the site of a garbage dump 100 years ago. I did not expect to find much but it turned out to have a good selection of hidden treasures. I have found numerous sterling silver spoons, silver coins, a couple of silver jewelry items and numerous artifacts. I had the jewelry cleaned up by a local jeweler and the spoons are in display cases. I am hooked on metal detecting. Looking forward to more discoveries in the future. IMG_0506b.jpg IMG_0506a.jpg IMG_0268 (52).JPG IMG_0268 (102).JPG

Upvote 48

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Dayamn! All those spoons are sterling? NICE SPOT to tect! Grats and thanks for sharing with us.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow......and better still, there's undoubtedly more to find..:occasion14:

I'd love to hear the story behind this little bauble..

IMG_0268 (102)-2-2.jpg

Last edited:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:hello:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. BTW NOBODY finds that many pieces of sterling in the ground in a short period of time so way to go!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to treasure hunting. My wife bought me a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro detector for my birthday this past spring. Our property was the site of a garbage dump 100 years ago...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Chemeng! Take a look at Forum: Ohio for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from HELP! over to TODAY'S FINDS! for more exposure.

OP
OP
Chemeng

Chemeng

Greenie
Dec 22, 2020
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Mike- Thanks for the comment. I'm still learning the ropes of how to use this website. My parents bought this property in Solon, Ohio in the early 50's and built a modest sized home where I have lived ever since. It has 5 acres. My father was told at the time it was used as a garbage dump and also as a hog farm. Some of the restaurant garbage was undoubtedly used to feed the hogs. The ring was found 4" underground and didn't look too impressive as you can see in the photo. I took it to a jeweler for cleaning and replacing a few of the marcasite gems that were missing. I saw a similar ring on the Internet that sold for $250. The large gem was green onyx. My wife loves it. IMG_0268 (79).JPG

OP
OP
Chemeng

Chemeng

Greenie
Dec 22, 2020
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks xr7ator for the comment. I am still getting used to using this website. Here are some more sterling spoons that I found as well. My favorite is a coin metal spoon made by C. Warner in the 1830's about the time Davy Crockett was defending the Alamo. IMG_0506c.jpg IMG_0615.JPG The little spoon was made in Japan and pictures the Royal Imperial Palace. Funny thing, I only found the handle at first. Two months later I found the other part. It was originally made in two parts and obviously came apart. I had a jeweler solder it together.

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T-net. Great place to learn, enjoy, and post.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad for your own backyard ! Welcome to Treasurenet. Keep on digging.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes you have a treasure trove to dig. Keep em coming

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet also......Tommy

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
My father was told at the time it was used as a garbage dump and also as a hog farm. Some of the restaurant garbage was undoubtedly used to feed the hogs.

Nice finds! I've had 3 or 4 sites over the years that gave up a TON of spoons and forks, but mostly spoons. They were all former hog farms. A lot of cutlery was lost in the food garbage. I only managed a couple of silver spoons though, everything else was plated. I bet you are digging a few ear tags, vaccine bottle lids, etc.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard! That is a serious group of beautiful silver- Congrats!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have made some seriously great finds! Beautiful spoons, too! Get back out there as soon as you can. That is a nice ring! Thank you for sharing with us!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions