Picture 489a.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 403
Upvote 0

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Wow JD!? That's really cool.? It sure is in great shape!? Good luck in finding out more about it~CO2

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
??? maybe it's a wax fob for sealing letters. :-\

Just my wild guess.
Cool find though.

Red

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Now that's the kinda stuff that gets your heart pumping and makes you lose sleep. Take an aspirin each day LOL Good luck

F

Floater

JD that is AWESOME. I believe you may have an important historical Artifact their. I hope BuckRam sees this post or PM him. This is really a great Item, Just think this seal could have been used by a General that mailed the King and Queen of Spain. WOW. If you get it cleaned a little better (carefully) and lightly spray some cooking oil in it. then pour a little candle wax in it and see what the Emblem says would be great. Keep us Updated. HH

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
"very cool" JD love to see new artifacts, the picture enlarges it quite a bit what is the circumfrance of the item?, also what is the item made of ?, did you find it detecting?. I would take a soft toothbrush and some water and giver a lil scrubbin try to free some soil from the face, then i would take some aluminum foil cover it and rub it until you get the image on the foil? then poor wax on it before you remove it let it cool pull wax and foil off together carefully take an ink pad and roller roll the surface of the cooled wax mold and press it on to a piece of paper,it should give you an image,or just take your foil and rub it over the face and the rub that face with foil poor some mixed plaster paris onto foiled image let dry, now you have a reversed image now it must be molded again to stamp dont take foil off reversed image roll foil on edges to be like a pan spray it with pam or something non stick and once again poor into the mold, now if the original stamp has deep enough lines it should, be an exact duplicate of the stamp ink it or get some of that letter seal wax and find out what it says, tammahawk ;D

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish Hu? Maybe a Spanish Cache was buried along the river somewhere and the seal along with other treasures like GOLD COINS got washed downstream. Best of luck and HH!!

Attachments

• coincache.jpg
    coincache.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 336
  • coincache.jpg
    coincache.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 300
OP
OP
j.d. in the usa

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are some side and back pics of the piece, its is the exact size of a US quarter. im gonna try the foil and wax thing :) thanks jd

Attachments

• Picture 491a.JPG
    Picture 491a.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 274

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
you may also try different techniques to rub to get the best end result, try using a toothbrush to rub with, try your finger , you get the idea what ever makes the image come out best, good luck let us all know tammahawk ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
You can also use a pencil eraser to tamp the foil in place. Use a heavy duty foil and be careful not to tear it .

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
Jd I believe the easy 1st method will make a mirror image,which means it probably will be backwards and indented instead of outdented, which will show features in reverse or like a negetive,, if you stamp with it the background will be solid and the writing will be untouched white paper, the 2nd method may be your best bet its more work but you get a better product, try it both ways! dying to see the stamp clearly, Good luck JD ,tammahawk

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
heck if its solid metal i cant imagine a little hot wax would hurt it, Just clean it carefully with a soft tooth brush, maybee test a little CLR on one of the sides test as a test spot, if you get no bad reaction , your safe to clean the face with it, use tooth brush a little clr and it should take a little corrosion off, just make sure none of the lettering looks like its goona fall apart before you clean it use a magnifiing glass and inspect it closely, if it looks fine clean it up and find some real letter sealing wax and stamp it, if the metal is stable you should get a great image you could aslo spray the face with non stick,prior to stampin just to ensure a clean stamping, if the writing looks as if it may crumble under a cleaning use the foil methods and make a new stamp from it , tammahawk :)

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Great find. Looks like the handle was made of wood or some other type of material that decayed along time ago. Would differently like to see a wax impression of the seal. Let us all know if you do and post it for us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread