Found and Restored: 17th Century Biscayne Trade Axe!!! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Found and Restored: 17th Century Biscayne Trade Axe!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779..in Montour Falls NY
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer... Nokta Makro Simplex+ WHP...Minelab Vanquish 540 Pro Pac. Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA L
    7178 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 312.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	1893602 Photo from the book " Swords&Blades of the American Revolution"
    AARC, pepperj and PetesPockets55 like this.
    I`v been detecting for 52 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE
    WE THE PEOPLE

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    77274 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by G.A.P.metal View Post

Name:	Picture 312.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	1893602 Photo from the book " Swords&Blades of the American Revolution"
    I rest my case.

"pole" vs "squared shaft"
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    77274 times
    Here are period "found and restored" examples.

Name:	2jghg0_2dkjdsjhgdsg3_HTML.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	603.1 KB 
ID:	1893604
    pepperj likes this.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    77274 times
    Paleo... the "seam" inside the eye ?... does yours have this ? ? ?

Name:	ihjkjhkjhgy.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	1893605
    pepperj likes this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    38545 times
    Relic Hunting
    Interesting read on link, regarding some reproduction pieces.

https://www.furtradetomahawks.com/fa...pros---17.html
    AARC likes this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Deus XP
    5461 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I was where is this touch mark ref.?? Then I looked and looked and there it was in this photo. Seems like others have missed it as well.
    Yeah it is hard to spot with the way the photos appear in the post. I'd like it if I could put in blow-up photos, but they are high resolution photos so if you click on them to get the window and then click on them again they will fill the whole screen and the details like the touchmark can be seen clearer. Below are some up-close photos though which may make it easier to see even without the fullscreen view:

Name:	Touchmark.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	1893641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09873.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	1893642Name:  Touchmark #3.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  3.1 KB

Also is an expanded picture of touchmark #3 from the book for side-by-side comparison.

Name:	Touchmark Expanded View.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	906.1 KB 
ID:	1893645
    Last edited by paleomaxx; Jan 14, 2021 at 11:38 AM.
    AARC and pepperj like this.

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Deus XP
    5461 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    This was brought to my attention... Paleo... Unfortunately I do not agree... sorry man... and which in the grand scheme of things... who cares right ? ? ?

There are a few "red flags" for this...

Although its a nice find...

1. The overall appearance screams modern to me.

2. No fold... which means it was cast... and that makes it modern.

3. Perfect cuts and angles also points modern.

4. Deterioration of metal "pock marks" for lack of the real term in my mind right now... is not indicative of other heads of this period. (NOW this could be due to an "element situation")

5. and..... most importantly... This "style"... IS NOT... a 16th century style hatchet... which is what it is... not an "axe".

Sorry... but... hey... "it is what it is".

LOve to be proven wrong.
    You're welcome to disagree; doesn't bother me at all, just allow me to post a few rebuttals to your points. I did do a ton of research on this piece and would love to post up some more of it!

For starters it does indeed have a fold inside the eye. It's devilishly tricky to get a good photo of because there's no real contrast with the treated surface, but the below photo turned out okay:

Name:	Seam.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	1893646

People may have to click on it to get the expanded view to really see the features, but it does have the classic seam from the butterfly of iron being folded over and hammered into the axe head shape. There's a neat diagram in Bouchard's book that shows the steps in the process:

Name:	Trade Axe Steps.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	1893647

On your point about it not having a 16th century hatchet style you are correct. Keep in mind that Biscayne trade axes are a very specific product produced for the fur trade with the Native Americans. European hatchets produced for use by the colonists or even local blacksmith-made colonial hatchets could have been produced with different styles, weights, and quality.

You mention "crude" as an overall look for other period pieces and I would agree that for a lot of locally blacksmithed iron pieces that's an easy way to distinguish older artifacts, but it's important to note that what was being manufactured for trade with the Native Americans may not have been crude. The furs that were being traded for were extremely valuable in Europe and continued trade was crucial for justifying repeated expeditions. Also it's easy to think of the indigenous tribes as being willing to trade for whatever they could get their hands on, but that may be a later bias as evidence suggests that indigenous tribes preferentially trade for quality items. Serpent muskets and trade silver were quality items were mass produced, but not cheaply made. The European traders wanted goods that were desirable so pieces like these trade axes would have been made to high quality standards at the time. Poorly made axes might have been rejected in favor of better ones and if word got around that your goods were junk, your supply of furs might dry up.
    Last edited by paleomaxx; Jan 14, 2021 at 11:58 AM.
    AARC, pepperj, Underwonder and 1 others like this.

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    Deus XP
    5461 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Now the little one I found didn't have a touch mark, and it was the style that one would expect from a blacksmith folding the iron over and pounding it into shape.
    Pepperj, in regards to you point on the shape; the one that I recovered actually is a classic trade axe shape. They went through several iterations and it seems to have depended on where the trade axes were being made. Below is from Bouchard's book:

Name:	Type A.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	1893651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09867.JPG 
Size:	4.15 MB 
ID:	1893655

The type "A" style matches the piece that I found and according to the book was manufactured in France. The one that you posted seems to closer match the type "C" style:

Name:	Type C.jpg 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	1893654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62D61298-8DBB-49AD-8449-25B87E6DE3A1.jpg 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	1893657

Instead of being manufactured in France, these were manufactured in Canada around the 18th century. At this point production may have been moved locally to reduce costs or to increase available trading supplies, but not using the same blacksmiths so the final product was slightly different.
    Last edited by paleomaxx; Jan 14, 2021 at 12:10 PM.
    AARC, DCMatt, pepperj and 1 others like this.

ca
    Feb 2009
    Deus, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
    38545 times
    Relic Hunting
    Thanks for the clarification on the head, and the added information on mine as well, this is much appreciated that you took the time. Mine would be classified as a belt axe as it's so small (still looking for big brother).

Name:	BC4616E6-E9E6-42A4-BC8C-1DABE2ED0E9D_1_201_a.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	1893678
    AARC likes this.
    "If it was easy-It would have already been done-Life 101."
    “I treat the outside world as one raw very warm wet chicken that has sitting out too long. wash and sterilize everything me touches.” — pepperj

Charter Member
    us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II with Bigfoot, Equinox 600
    2296 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Neat axe, nice research and cleaning, and I’ve enjoyed the follow up posts..Lots of points to think about.
    AARC likes this.
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

Charter Member
    us
    Nick

Nov 2012
    Western CT
    AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/ Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/ Vibra-Tector 730/ Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
    3849 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    Great post and ensuing discussions...

Cleaning Up The Planet...One Pull Tab At A Time.

us
    Jan 2013
    Central Texas
    Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coile 11x15DD coil 6DD coil Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
    644 times
    Neat find!!! Its awesome that you were able to find the mark and identify it!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links