Kaolin Pipe

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After heavy rains I went out yesterday and discovered this fragment of a kaolin pipe eroding out of the ground. It's only the second one I have ever found, the other being a Free Ireland marked pipe I discovered while gardening decades ago. The area where I found it has settlement beginning in the 1670's and a farm that shows up on my 1830's map. It then subsequently had an 1860's house built on top of the site, now since long gone.

It's fun to research artifacts which have been off of my metal detecting radar. There is a good published typology of styles helpful for dating sites, much like buttons and buckles. Even the diameter of the wire used to push through the stem provides a date range. I might get lucky and ID the maker's mark.

I often complain about how little cultural remains were left by early agrarian settlers. Finds like this remind me that a significant portion of their material culture was either wood, bone, horn, or ceramics that have either decayed or are not seen by my metal detector. Fortunately the glaze of some ceramics is detectable.

tres192.jpg tres193.jpg tres194.jpg

Upvote 9

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pipe. it's Dutch and the deep impressed stamp is typical for the 19th Century.

The Dutch pipemaking industry was centred on Gouda and these makers are reported as having used Windmill ('molen') stamps. The pictorial icon is for illustrative purposes only, and not necessarily the exact mark used):

Windmolen.jpg

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a neat find. Interesting to me that some glazes are MDable. Red-coat, you sure give great answers and ID information.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread