BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all,

Posted this on my IG page a few weeks back and though I'd share here. Found a George Washington Medal made of white metal/pewter in late December at an early VT homesite in the Champlain Valley of VT (just a pile of stones in a field now). Pulled several nice coppers from this site including an 1805 DB half cent. I had a number of great finds in 2020 including over 50 large coppers (see pic below), not the least of which were 3 Massachusetts and a 153 AD Marcus Aurelius sestertius from the fields in central France last March. My relic of the year has to be this 1832 George Washington commemorative medal in pewter though. Reference from Stacks and Bowers (https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-KF8MT/circa-1832-stuart-portrait-medal-musante-gw-84-baker-129-white-metal-ms-63-pcgs) shows it was indeed a commemorative medal issued on the anniversary of his death in 1832, possibly for a celebration in Philadelphia of that year. There were a number of anniversary celebrations held that year, so it's hard to precisely link it to a particular event. However, the Philly celebration was one of the biggest and the most likely. Most of these medals still in existence are holed (like mine), probably because they were worn as adornment. The one they list sold for $6000 bucks, so while mine is worth less given its worn condition, I'm still stoked to have found this early piece of Americana. Thanks for reading.

GW medal front.png GW medal back.png 2020 copper total.JPEG Obverse (1).jpg Reverse.jpg

Upvote 11

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well done! I can tell you've put a lot of hours in this year! This reminds me... I still mean to do a wrap up of my 2020 finds...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread