Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the drive back to the 1865 battle site and decided to do some door knocking. Part of the battle is now a large subdivision.
First lady I asked said there had been 10 people on her property with detectors in the last year . We talked for a while and I drove up the road and passed a patch of woods and thought there maybe something left in there.
I stopped and asked the owner if she minded if I hunted the woods by her home and she said there was nothing left. She said the last guy there spent all day and only found one bullet but I could have a try if I wanted.
I was just happy to have somewhere to dig so I thanked her and hit the woods. My first target was a round ball at about 8 inches. The next signal was a confederate bullet and then an iron case shot.
How in the world is there anything left? I think alot of people just thought it was to obvious of a spot and past by it . Also it was rough hunting due to brush and briars.
I made two real neat finds . One is a schenkle artillery fuse with a Patton date of Oct 16 1861 and the other is a long bullet that is either a Wentworth or a tower enfield. I'm no expert ..
I left after about 7 hours of digging between rain storms with about 20 bullets,3 frags and the fuse. Well worth the drive.:headbang: 20210227_170246.jpg
20210227_170240.jpg 20210227_111900.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 42

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. Some people swing a metal detector 6 inches above the ground and don’t get in close to trees and bushes or stay out of the briars and weeds. Others dive right in to the underbrush and keep the coil close to the ground. You got good results because you do it right. Congratulations on a very good day. Stay safe and keep swingin.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't tell from your pic, does the bullet have several flat sides to it? Shape is right for a Whitworth. Gary

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds !
Yes, one of the number one rules of this hobby - never believe someone when they tell you a place is "hunted out" !

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't tell from your pic, does the bullet have several flat sides to it? Shape is right for a Whitworth. Gary

Not sure about the flat sides. It does look like thr right length and does look like a 45 caliber but I don't have a micrometer to take the measurement.
20210228_073124.jpg

Last edited:

cmthunder

Mar 20, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and I’d guess it’s still not hunted out go back.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...awsome work birdman...briars and bushes make for lots of hidden goodies !!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not bad for a hunted out spot! I have a couple of places where I test my machines. Been finding stuff 20yrs!

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Some of my best finds have been at supposedly hunted out sites... never hurts to try!

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great job!! Most of these spots have some goodies left behind...I love to quiz the "old-timers" on their hunted-out sites from 30 years ago. That's where I've found most of my CW relics.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done and indeed seven hours well spent congratulations

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job man. More proof that there's no such thing as "hunted out".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions