Corroded Colonial?

bobleyland

Greenie
Aug 21, 2004
Hartford, CT
Detector(s) used
White's Blue & Gray
Hunted an unpaved Connecticut farm road connecting two fields yesterday and got a 65 hit on my White's Blue & Gray (5900 DI Pro). Dug an apparently heavily corroded copper coin, 1 1/16" diameter. (Also dug a 1986 quarter w brick red patina, nearby) Much thinner than a large cent. Light sanding of tiny portion of the edge revealed copper. Soaked overnight in olive oil. Cleaned w soapy water. Soaked overnight in 2% hydrogen peroxide. No identifiable markings.

Could the surface have corroded this badly, or could there be a rock-hard coating that can be removed? Hoping for my first Colonial. Thanks.

Attachments

• coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    980.4 KB · Views: 117
  • coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
Upvote 11

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Not completely wiped.. looks like maybe on first picture, the date is to the right of the coin? 176? I could be completely wrong. One way is to take a flashlight and shine it sideways on the coin, it may help bring some details (if any) out

OP
OP
bobleyland

bobleyland

Greenie
Aug 21, 2004
Hartford, CT
Detector(s) used
White's Blue & Gray
Nice find! Not completely wiped.. looks like maybe on first picture, the date is to the right of the coin? 176? I could be completely wrong. One way is to take a flashlight and shine it sideways on the coin, it may help bring some details (if any) out

I tried the oblique lighting thing (identified a 1907 Barber dollar that way) but maybe your eyes are better than mine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, I'd do some cleaning. What have you got to lose at this point?

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed. I've only tried hot and cold peroxide soaking, so far.

Suggestions?

NOTE: There will be those that disagree with some of these suggestions. But I agree with cudamark - what do you have to lose?
I wouldn't use these techniques on a coin that had a chance of identification without their use.

If someone handed me a coin like that here's what I'd try:
1. Andre's pencils. Less than $20 on Amazon, they're my go-to tool for cleaning corroded coppers in 2021. On that coin I'd use the pencil tool then the steel wool tool. Hint: if you have toothpicks and steel wool you can basically do the same thing as Andre's pencils. Use the toothpick to see if you can remove corrosion with it. The toothpick will probably be softer than the corrosion, so the toothpick will wear away. Use a dry toothbrush to clear the shavings. Then take 000 gauge steel wool and twist it into the shape of a pencil. If you can get the twist of steel wool into something like a straw then you can hold it like the pencil. (this last part is a theory; I haven't done it).
2. vinegar for a short period of time. It's more aggressive than peroxide. I'd be looking to see if it breaks down any of the corrosion (but from your pictures I bet it won't). Or try #3.
3. ketchup. It's milder vinegar, but the reason to use it is that it can be applied to one side without getting the other side "wet" (Not an option with normal vinegar). Sometimes I put it on the side that I don't care as much about (your second picture) as a test to see what it will do. It has to sit longer (an hour?) than vinegar (20 min?).
4. Electrolysis. When all else fails I put a copper coin through electrolysis. I don't have an Ugly Box but they're apparently great. I just use an old plug-in charger (an AC-to-DC charger, like ones for a portable radio or other small electronic device. The ones with the round silver&black plug that goes into the device. I cut off the plug thingy and put two alligator clips on the wires. If you're comfortable with this idea so far, then there are YouTube videos on how to make it work). Be Careful though because electrolysis will damage the coin, and there's no going back. 20 minute doses is how I do it. The coin will look like crap afterward (very coppery colored) but you may be able to ID it. Example (we ID'd this as a Draped Bust LC):

Before / After Electrolysis
oXeuxmy.jpg yGt6yHD.jpg

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find and here's hoping its your first Colonial!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wiped coppers make me sad......however, with what Brian suggested you should be able to get an ID. It being dug in Connecticut it could be anything. The only “wiped” coppers I couldn’t ID were more than likely British. I found a copper last year I couldn’t ID and put it through the ringer with the techniques Brian suggested and it turned out to be a Vermont “baby head”. The only thing I have not tried is electrolysis, but it looks like it helps. Great find, good luck!!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on your find. Those coppers are so disappointing in our area. Almost always toasted beyond recognition. Very frustrating.
HH
dts

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Not much you can do to hurt that copper. That is about as pitted as they get. But hey, still a nice find. I love all my coppers no matter how ugly they are. :laughing7: Let us know if you can coax an ID from it.

OP
OP
bobleyland

bobleyland

Greenie
Aug 21, 2004
Hartford, CT
Detector(s) used
White's Blue & Gray
When I found the red 1986 quarter nearby, I wondered if the mucky ground was acidic or something.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
When I found the red 1986 quarter nearby, I wondered if the mucky ground was acidic or something.

I think that Connecticut has very acidic soil. Zinc pennies dissolve here so quickly that it’s hard to believe. In addition, many lawns and fields have been fertilized over the years which also contributes to coin destruction. We need to save them all before it’s too late!:laughing7:
HH
dts

OP
OP
bobleyland

bobleyland

Greenie
Aug 21, 2004
Hartford, CT
Detector(s) used
White's Blue & Gray
Cleaned it some with Andre's Pencils (wire brush). One side almost looks and feels like it might have a head facing left.

from left: side 1, side 1, side 2

Attachments

• coinfront3b.jpg
    coinfront3b.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 56
  • coinfront3.jpg
    coinfront3.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 40
  • coinback2.jpg
    coinback2.jpg
    424.4 KB · Views: 49

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job cleaning it up. You did your best. (I reminded my son recently that we didn’t destroy these coins - nature did).

Earlier you told us it’s 1 1/16” (or 27mm), which aligns with a worn King George.
You know what, I might be tempted to call that a King George II Old Head (1746-1758) and move on. You could drive yourself crazy analyzing it.

OP
OP
bobleyland

bobleyland

Greenie
Aug 21, 2004
Hartford, CT
Detector(s) used
White's Blue & Gray
CTTodd's eagle eye suspects it's a KG II or III Hibernia. Anyway, it beats my previous oldie of a 1893 Barber dime by quite a bit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread