Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. At lunch today I stepped out to scout a nearby open space preserve. I was aware there was a stone wall, but no close-by foundations or homesites. So I was surprised to find a bottle dump (I didn’t get a good picture of the wall and dump, so I’ll go back and add that picture soon). The “dump” was really just a small pile of broken glass and a large number of mason jar lids that had been tossed on the atone wall.

At least I think this is a large number of mason jar lids: I brought home 10 that were not broken and 3 or 4 that only have a single crack. I left a dozen or more at the site that were shattered, and I didn’t clear away leaves - so there could be more.

The bottle is a “Pepsodent Antiseptic “ bottle from the 1930’s, so the lids - which all say Boyd’s Genuine Porcelain Jar Cap - are probably also from a similar time.

I did find one buckle, but only hunted for about 45 min and spent most of the time collecting lids.

Anyway, thanks for looking, and if you have suggestions on how to hunt a dump like this please share.
- Brian
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1618341091.675094.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1618341104.303005.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1618341112.758205.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1618341127.391783.jpg

Upvote 10

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that would make my day! I love the jar lids! The Pepsodent bottle is pretty cool, also. I have been thinking of using a pitch fork to turn up the dirt on my site. Timing is everything. Spring: the ground is more workable for me. Congratulations!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on all the lids.
The suggestion on using a heavy garden fork is good.
Digging dumps out in the tool list:
:Shovel long/short handle
:Garden fork
:Snips/saw/old hatchet axe for root cutting
:Garden scratcher 3 tine
:Probe
:Gloves
:Garden hand scratcher
From all the digging I have done over the decades I will say this, every dump is different but the same in many ways. But the quality of tools makes a difference, when prying digging out rocks.
I'm going to be doing a little of that today along side a cellar hole on a steep embankment. So just limb pruners, 3 ting scratcher will be needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread