South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have exhaustively researched and hunted my 400 acre township park in W PA. Many good finds at 5 old homesite locations. All were relatively easy to find with modern map and lidar techniques over the last 6 years.

This week was about scouting and hunting 4 spots that are not on any maps but I have seen random pottery shards along the hiking paths over the last few months and some odd tulips placements in the woods. 2 of the spots were total busts, but 1 provided some relatively modern relics and the other is turning out to be a productive colonial era spot.

Good stuff first...

IMG_0801.jpg

Handful of buttons with 6 of them being tombac. One is has a silver wash and a design.
IMG_0794.jpg

A couple of these saddle adornments, not sure of the era for these but they were mixed in the area with the tombacs.
IMG_0802.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg

Some random old stuff, fishing weight is cool.
IMG_0796.jpg
Luggage tag, this guy lived down the old dirt road a mile or so 100 +/- years ago.

IMG_0797.jpg

And some old British Colonial coins. We think the nickel sized coin might be my first farthing, maybe Hibernia. The 1747 KG2 I believe is counter stamped with a “C”? Can anyone shed light on this? The other copper is thicker, almost thought it was an early LC, but rang up a 21 on the Nox so most likely another wiped KG.

IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0805.jpg

Some of the newer stuff from the other hunch site.
IMG_0798.jpg
The token was ID’d by DC Matt as a Pennsylvania Railways Token, potentially from their safety fair at the turn of the century.
IMG_0800.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

Good luck out there!

Attachments

• IMG_0798.jpg
    IMG_0798.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
Upvote 32

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''A couple of these saddle adornments''
Look like 19th C examples to me.
Congrats on all the finds.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on your research and on your finds! :notworthy:
Sure looks like you're going to be kept bust there for years to come.

Even the "newer stuff" you found is very interesting.
Dave

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very productive hunt-looks like you had a fun day at the 400 acre park.
Well done on the research and finding the other sites that aren't on the maps.
As you probably know it takes a lot of work in a large park to get a spot that hasn't been hunted out.
Congrats on the early coppers and buttons. :occasion14:

When living in Toronto over the decades I hunted High Park same 400 acre in size.
Only one or two home sites in the boundary but a wealth of activity throughout the whole park.
Kind of miss the ravines/bush areas as I found many early sledding/picnic areas from the mid/late 1800's that provided lots nice coinage.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your fantastic recoveries..you definitely have to be in great shape to do all that digging also

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Saves!!! Love seeing those buttons and coins come out of the ground.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very productive hunt-looks like you had a fun day at the 400 acre park.
Well done on the research and finding the other sites that aren't on the maps.
As you probably know it takes a lot of work in a large park to get a spot that hasn't been hunted out.
Congrats on the early coppers and buttons. :occasion14:

When living in Toronto over the decades I hunted High Park same 400 acre in size.
Only one or two home sites in the boundary but a wealth of activity throughout the whole park.
Kind of miss the ravines/bush areas as I found many early sledding/picnic areas from the mid/late 1800's that provided lots nice coinage.

Thx Pepperj! The excitement of detecting a virgin colonial period site is hard to explain. Every crappy VDI that is typical of a pull tab or zincoln or shotgun shell head stamp has a great chance of being a 200+ year old relic. I’m planning on “savoring” this site as it is so close and only doing 60-90 minute hunts. Hopefully more to come.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt there Thad, glad you noticed the early pottery scattered about on the path and took the hint. Hopefully it will be site that produces for a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on the Machin Mills copper

Thx! How did you ascertain that the 1747 is a Machin Mills? I only find a few KG’s every year, so I’m still learning about them.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your fantastic recoveries..you definitely have to be in great shape to do all that digging also

IMG_0676.jpg
I started cheating recently and have been using a OneWheel to ride the trails where possible... Get lots of interesting looks from fellow hikers when I buzz by them at 20 mph holding a shovel and detector...

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt there Thad, glad you noticed the early pottery scattered about on the path and took the hint. Hopefully it will be site that produces for a while. BTW, I don't see a Machin's Mills (American) counterfeit copper there. The American counterfeit KG's can be worth a good bit of money, where the British counterfeits are basically worthless to a collector.

Thx Steve! I think this is only the second KG that I have found with a readable date. It’s pretty worn, so I don’t know how/if I will be able to fully ID.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx! How did you ascertain that the 1747 is a Machin Mills? I only find a few KG’s every year, so I’m still learning about them.
Now that I enlarged the picture of the back I can see that it is a Machins Mills. They did make a 1747 and the little denticles around the rim are an indicator that it is Machins Mills.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, congrats! I also use my Onewheel to access closed beaches at Tahoe at the end of the season once the gates are locked.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, congrats! I also use my Onewheel to access closed beaches at Tahoe at the end of the season once the gates are locked.

I switched to treaded tires a couple months back and it made a huge difference on the dirt, roots, rocks paths.

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Studying techniques for spotting old homesteads really does pay off!

dfx'er

Apr 19, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

even though my title states "new member" i'm well versed in colonial relic hunting and Id'ing coins for over twenty years

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread