Failed Oil-Seed Rape - Day 3 - Hammered & Celtic Bronze...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We knew today would be pretty tough, as we are gridding further away from the good area & because of payback for our last 2 good hunts.
We joked about it being funny if we got a Celtic bronze but our target for the day was 1 hammered.
Well we got the target & the Celtic Bronze coin, making the full set back-to-back. Silver/Gold/Bronze (last 3 outings).

5 hours:

2 Scrappies (1 holed)
Pre 1881 Victorian 96th Reg of Foot Button (sadly bust)
2 small bits of Medieval annular Brooch
Jetton of a type I need (Ladies head right)
Spec. Buckle
1st C AD Roman Fibula bit
Half of a Medieval swivel
Tip of a Bronze Age Spear (a surprise)
Hammered Penny of Ed I
Celtic Bronze Unit
(very poor condition)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 41
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Upvote 16

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!! I would love to have some places like that. Awesome finds!!!! Congratulations

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done in complication of the set if three.
You really covered the ages in one hunt.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes the set complete. Too bad the bronzes mostly come in bad shape. You never thought this patch had so much to give....
The bronze age spear is really a surprise, old stomping ground with a break after the romans. I don't remember many medieval finds you posted.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes the set complete. Too bad the bronzes mostly come in bad shape. You never thought this patch had so much to give....
The bronze age spear is really a surprise, old stomping ground with a break after the romans. I don't remember many medieval finds you posted.
Pretty sure no Saxon stuff on this field but some 13-15th C Medieval.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

landmagnet

Aug 25, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plagues didn't help much !!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same huge gap we have on most sites. Way less population in early/mid medieval may be the reason.
Yes 1 reason.
I know generally the 'migration period' as we describe it saw a steady stream of Germanic (& other) tribes settling in our area. That would account for some of your losses, but not for the gains or substitute of ours.
Early Medieval (5th-7th C):
We know these tribes preferred (but not always) to live in different places than the Romanised settlements, & finding them is difficult. Because the Roman Monetary system had collapsed, so no money being minted. (therefore none lost to find)
There must have been a fair amount of conflict between all the resident un-organised groups left undefended by the Roman Military. Although we do know some intermarried & stayed in Britain. Therefore, it's hard to grow populations when your killing each other.
Most major industries like the pottery had disappeared, so not much pottery to find. Mostly used wood & leather that doesn't survive. And we all know the saying 'absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence'. Therefore, most of our knowledge comes from burial grounds, which is still only a small snapshot of the whole.
Genealogy may help but I know nothing about that.
Land-mag mentioned the bubonic plague that first hit in the mid-6th C, this is emerging evidence & only a small sample has been proved in Britain. However, that's all you really need because we all know how much the bubonic plague spreads & kills. (even if we guess 30%)
I'm guessing the 6th C was a real rough time & took hundreds of years to recover from. The tough bit is to try & put any figures on it with so little data surviving.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Cru'
Bronze age spear tip would look great with my nic nacs...salt pepper shaker, sea shell...oh bronze age spear tip...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread