North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: LOOK what I found today.. Historic house

Very nice old piece. It would make a nice wall decoration. Put a skeleton key in the slot, and you could even hang something from it.
Neat piece!
-MM-

rabajohn

Aug 10, 2005
Woodlawn, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & ole Tesoro Silver Sabre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That's cool! I also like ModernMiner's idea of cleaning it up and putting a skeleton key in it. Would be great display piece.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd love to knoe how old it is? and I have lots of skeleton keys too great idea

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Neat find, WTG!!!
And it still works,,, how cool is that?..
Sorry, I wouldn't have a clue as to the age, definitely before my time... ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thats what I call opening the door to history. WTG and HH
Burdie

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Grubby dump your inbox and make some space.

Sorry Booty, Nice work. Did you get your okay over at DFXonly?

Ken

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

Cool.
My guess is 1910-1930 (kinda hard to pinpoint an exact year on this type of item since they made them over a period of time)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic find, Rae. It's really neat that you have the whole mechanism. I gonna give you the estimated age cause of all the doors at the farm house have the porcelain door knobs, the exterior doors is the same as what you found. The house was built in the 1870's, the exact year I have no clue, but the person that lived there all his life was born in the house in 1876.

;) RR

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

That is really a cool find!!! WTG!

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Way to go Rae. Somewhere in the recesses of my memory I think I've seen doorknobs like that one. That must have been one heck of a signal! Did it blow your ears out? Congrats on the permission. Don't know how long those hunters might hang around; it might be a good idea to wear some hunter orange somewhere...like a hat. Ya don't want to get shot!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

the level of craftsmanship from that era is truly amazing, I mean all this time and it still works

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ok looked at it under magnifying glass...on the inside part of the lock it says
SARGENT
NEWHAVEN CO
USA

am gonna have to look that one up.... am dying to know now.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heres what I found... maybe its the same company

The Sargent brothers bought full ownership of the New Britain firm in 1857. Seven years later, in 1864, they moved the factory to New Haven to be closer to the sea for shipping purposes and the delivery of raw materials, and incorporated under the laws of Connecticut as SARGENT & Co.

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Rae,
Great Find and it sounds like you are tracking down the history. I am sure you will make many great finds at this site.
You may want to knock the rust off with a product called ospho. We used it around the fishing boats on all iron work before we would paint. It will knock off the rust and stabilize the iron. You just rinse it off with water, dry it and then you can spray paint it with Rustolium in the color of your choice.
WTG.....

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Rae,

Glad you found the manufacturer, I was going to tell you of a house that is still in my family that wa built from 1836 to 1837, all of the locks are of the type you show here.
If you need a nice skeleton key, keep swinging that place you may find one.

If you don't find one, let me know and I will hunt one up I have boxes of them.

OD

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

ModernMiner said:
Very nice old piece. It would make a nice wall decoration. Put a skeleton key in the slot, and you could even hang something from it.
Neat piece!
-MM-

Ditto! Very cool piece!

HH,
Moon

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Here's some info...

History
Sargent and Company was a manufacturer of locks and hardware, with headquarters in New Haven, Connecticut. It was founded by Joseph B. Sargent, who was born in Leicester, Massachusetts, in 1822. He began his career as a clerk in a Boston dry goods store, where he rose to the position of manager. Upon the death of his employer in 1842, Joseph and his brother, Edward, moved to Griffin, Georgia, and established a successful mercantile business. After a few years, the brothers moved to New York City, where they started a commission business called Sargent and Company. The Company acted as sales agent for Peck and Walter Manufacturing Company. When Peck and Walter closed, Joseph Sargent moved to New Britain, Connecticut, and created the J.B. Sargent & Company. Unable to expand the company at this location, Sargent purchased land in New Haven, Connecticut, and moved the company there on 1 May 1865, along with one hundred employees and their families. The company continued to manufacture small hardware items, and added a coffin hardware department. The following year, the company was incorporated, with capital of $300,000.

The Sargent and Company commission house in New York continued to sell hardware items, along with the goods produced in New Haven, to other manufacturers, reaching a sales volume of $1,738,000 in 1869.

Sargent and Company acted as sole agent for Mallory, Wheeler & Company, a manufacturer of locks and builders' hardware. After losing this lucrative account, Joseph Sargent began manufacturing his own locks and builders' hardware, hiring William E. Sparks, a leading expert, to run the department. The company produced a line of locks with standardized parts and simplified inner mechanisms.

By 1887, the plant had expanded to sixteen acres of floor space and employed almost 1,7000 people. The yearly payroll was $1,000,000 or about $600 per employee per year. The pay rate was $1.50 per ten hour day with a six day work week. Immigrants filled lower employee ranks, with Italians the largest single group. Employees were well treated for the times, but J.B. Sargent refused to tolerate unions. An employee strike occurred in 1902 over employee demands for a union shop and a 15% wage increase. The strike lasted for three weeks until Sargent threatened to replace all striking workers.

Joseph B. Sargent was prominent in the New Haven political scene, and was elected mayor of the city in 1890. In 1892, he was nominated as the Democratic candidate for governor, but was defeated. Upon his death in 1907, his brother, George Stewart Sargent, became president of Sargent and Company.

By 1900, Sargent and Company was one of the preeminent companies in the lock and builders' hardware field, employing 2,000 workers. From 1900 to 1923, the company pioneered several new patents and processes, guaranteeing itself advantage over competitors. In 1928, however, rising manufacturing costs and a decline in profits forced the Board of Directors to elect an outsider, B.W. Burtsell, as president and general manager. Despite the fact the new management reduced costs and eliminated many unprofitable items, profits continued to decline steeply throughout the depression years, making it impossible for the company to pay a dividend to stockholders until 1938, when it sold off its New York sales office to the City of New York.

In 1972, Sargent and Company became a division of Walter Kidde & Company of Belleville, New Jersey, a manufacturer of safety, security and protection products.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thank you Copperhead, that is just great info...more then what I searched and found... thank you very very much... am thrilled even more now.... aint this just the greatest dam hobby in the world... Man, I love it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions