Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I dug a small exploratory test hole into a trash deposit on the site of a tavern/inn that was active from the 1830s into the 1860s. I have found a large cent, a half cent, a two cent, a flying eagle, fatty IHPs, and a seated dime, along with other relics from the period, but I have exhausted all the targets accessible by surface hunting. Here is the hole I opened up.
attachment.php

At about a foot down, there is a layer of broken ceramics about 8 inches deep. I like to save the colorful pieces to put in display cases.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I was only able to recover one good metallic target, a large cent with a glob of iron fused to it.
attachment.php
attachment.php

It took a little work to remove the iron encrustation from the LC, but I got it to the point where it's recognizable.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Here is my hole sewed back up. I will return in the winter months with a tarp and open a larger area.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Hole Open.jpg
    Hole Open.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 638
  • Pottery 1.jpg
    Pottery 1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 592
  • Pottery 2.jpg
    Pottery 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 590
  • China shards.jpg
    China shards.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 586
  • LC in Dirt Clod.jpg
    LC in Dirt Clod.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 576
  • LC in Iron.jpg
    LC in Iron.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 572
  • Dirty LC 2.jpg
    Dirty LC 2.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 570
  • Dirty LC 1.jpg
    Dirty LC 1.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 578
  • LC front.jpg
    LC front.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 576
  • LC back.jpg
    LC back.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 570
  • Hole closed.jpg
    Hole closed.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Upvote 51
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Diggindennis

Nov 18, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some beautiful ceramic shards, and nice LC, I have alot of ceramic shards its hard not to save them when some are Chinese or Japanese handpainted. Obviously that's a good spot, wouldn't be surprised if you found clay pipe fragment there

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some beautiful ceramic shards, and nice LC, I have alot of ceramic shards its hard not to save them when some are Chinese or Japanese handpainted. Obviously that's a good spot, wouldn't be surprised if you found clay pipe fragment there
Thanks DD. There are clay pipe fragments in this area. I found a couple pipe stems when I first discovered this trash deposit. It would be nice to find an intact bowl. I'm also hoping I come across an intact bottle. I didn't find any broken bottle pieces which is strange.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It looks to me as if your LC was in a fire Steve, but the other fragments don't look to be burned? :icon_scratch:
Did this tavern burn down or was this possibly a trash?
Dave

Swamp Fox

Sep 22, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT Minelab Equinox 600 Garrett A T Pro Garrett A T Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I dug a small exploratory test hole into a trash deposit on the site of a tavern/inn that was active from the 1830s into the 1860s. I have found a large cent, a half cent, a two cent, a flying eagle, fatty IHPs, and a seated dime, along with other relics from the period, but I have exhausted all the targets accessible by surface hunting. Here is the hole I opened up.
attachment.php

At about a foot down, there is a layer of broken ceramics about 8 inches deep. I like to save the colorful pieces to put in display cases.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I was only able to recover one good metallic target, a large cent with a glob of iron fused to it.
attachment.php
attachment.php

It took a little work to remove the iron encrustation from the LC, but I got it to the point where it's recognizable.
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Here is my hole sewed back up. I will return in the winter months with a tarp and open a larger area.
attachment.php
interesting finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread