Found: Marshall High School, Richmond, VA ring. NEED HELP TO FIND OWNER!

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, I found a Marshall High School, Richmond, VA ring with my detector in Goldsboro, NC. It has the initials CCD on the inside of it. It is old, has no date on it and has an eagle with wings on the sides. It is made of pewter or some similar metal. It also has an embossed picture of the original school on the round face. After a bit of semi-fruitful research, I found that there was a cadet corps back in the 30's there, and perhaps this ring belonged to someone in the corps. I would love to be able to find a relative to give this ring to. I called the school, but they were of little help. They said they have no records that far back. Somebody must. With the initials CCD, it is a shame not to at least find a relative to return this ring to. Can anyone help me?? Any ideas of where I can search for this person. Thank you, Bryan

Attachments

• Marshall High Ring.JPG
    Marshall High Ring.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 789
  • Marshall High Ring.JPG
    Marshall High Ring.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 750
  • Ring Side.JPG
    Ring Side.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 777
Upvote 0

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
maybe run an ad in the paper stating if anyone knows anyone from the area of the school or someone that may have gone there to contact you. let them know u have a ring but dont tell them the initials. if they get it right maybe do some more investigating to make sure you have found the right relative. just an idea. i think it will be pretty tough to find someone but not impossible.

Good luck

S

stefen

Either the school or the town library may have annuals from that era...

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
stefen said:
Either the school or the town library may have annuals from that era...

When I was reading the JMHS Alumni PDF file, they mentioned something about old school yearbooks...don't know if they had them or they were looking for them...but I would give them a shot...can't hurt ;)

There were also folks listed that graduated from there in the 30's....so maybe someone would remember their trip down south or even the person with the initials or even the era of the ring ;)

And yes, the library may have some...but ironcially in my area....I find most of the high school yearbooks in antique shops around here!!!

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bryan,

Here are a few ideas for you.

I found one not quite that old but there were no records at that school either. I was able to find the owner by going to the local newspaper office. They had the lists of the graduating classes in each year of the newspaper and I found the match that way. You may try to contact the local public library there in Richmond to see where the archives for the old newspapers may be. Once you find the archives for the newspapers, it would be just a matter of knowing the time frame for graduation each year and viewing the papers around that time for the listing of graduates in the paper. They will be there. You just have to find the paper that they are published in. Usually you can find a volunteer or researcher at the library that would love to be part of the story that will do the leg work for you if you don't have the time. I will guarantee you that the list of graduating classes are in the old paper. The public library may also have copies of the old yearbooks from that school in their archives too. That would be an easier way if you can find them. Another big help would be to contact the local genealogical society for the Richmond area and see if they have info on records or yearbooks from the school. There is usually an area expert at those society groups that knows where all old reference materials are for most any school.

A little more help maybe. I found a WWI ring that had those same eagles on the band. I would think that you are probably looking at a time frame around that time or after.

Good Luck!

Jim

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great replies and information. I will try some of these avenues, thank you. Bryan

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marshall High School ring UPDATE

Thanks for all the great replies to my earlier post, I may have struck gold. After spending an hour sending a flurry of emails and phone calls to John Marshall High School Alumni members, one gentleman emailed me back and said that the Marshall High Alumni page that I saw was in OHIO, not VA. I had the wrong Marshall High. So I did another search and came up with a 1929 yearbook listing from the VIRGINIA John Marshall High. Looking through the complete listing of names, I saw a C. Duling, recruit, The Corps of Cadets, "B" Company! I did a Yahoo People Search and there are 6 Dulings listed. The first I called I left a message. The second was 81 yrs old and his brother's name was Claude (initials on ring CCD)! I called his brother, and he said that Claude was in the Cadet Corps indeed, but his middle initial was O, which I either read it wrong, or perhaps it was misstruck a bit and looks like a C. He did not know much as his brother is passed away and he was much older than he. He gave me the name and number of Claude's older daughter who also lives in Richmond. It is exciting that I may be able to return the ring to the probable relative!! Thanks again for all the help. Bryan

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Marshall High School ring UPDATE

That is wonderful! CONGRATS!!!!!! Please keep us updated to a REUNION!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Bryan!!!
You da' man.
-MM-

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great comments. I spoke with the elder daughter, she did not seem to know much about her dad ever losing a ring. He died in 1981. She does recall he had a cadet ring though. I asked if she had it, she does not. She is going to contact other relatives to see if they know anything. I gave her my phone number and she is going to call me in a week or so. In the mean time, I am going to double check the initials on the ring when I get home from work, and see if the middle initial could possibly be an O. If not, and it is in fact a C like I thought, I may be back to square one. Bryan

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! I am sure it will be her best Christmas gift ever!

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the eldest daughter that I spoke with was not all that excited, sad to say. At first she was suspicious, of course. But even after that, she really did not sound terribly interested.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Great of you to put your efforts into finding the true home of this item!

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO JOY

The eldest daughter called me last night and said she spoke with her uncle who confirmed that it is NOT Claude's ring. I also double checked the initials on the ring and confirmed that it indeed reads CCD, there is no chance that the middle C could be an O. Back to the drawing board. I think I need to find out what years the Cadet Corps at Marshall existed, then somehow find who was in the Corps for those years. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I also noticed that inside the ring is the manufactures mark, but even under magnification, I cannot make it out. There are 3 circular markings, the last of which looks like a sideways "W", which is the only mark I can make out. The W is not a perfect W but it looks misshaped. Does this mark sound familiar to anyone?? Bryan

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here's a link for you:

http://newdeal.feri.org/library/af75.htm

Another that may hold clues:

http://richmondthenandnow.com/John-Marshall-High-School-1.html

And here's a timeline....list both Franklin and Marshall High...might be some info regarding the Cadet Corps....have to head out for work...so did not read this link fully:

http://library.fandm.edu/archives/timeline/timeline19thc.html

Hope one of these links are beneficial in your search. I'm sorry the first one did not pan out....but I'm sure you will find the rightful owner soon (or relative of said individual)...

Good Luck,
Annmarie

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOY

I decided to check the Richmond Historical Society website by chance and found the name of a gentleman who wrote volumes on the John Marshall School, Richmond, VA Corps of Cadets, a complete history. I took a chance and did a yahoo people search and had 2 hits. Called him up and his son answered. His dad, the author, had passed away years ago, but his son, Hank, said he has access to all the records and stated that he is the best bet on finding who the initials CCD belong to!!!!! I sent him photos of the ring. He is going to check the records as he finds time (tons of records) and keep me updated. He told me the Cadet Corps started in 1915 and ended in the 60's. He said the original school was torn down in the early 60's. This has been an exciting ride thus far, and is going to get even better as we zero in on who this ring belonged to and get it back to either the person, or a relative!! Awesome, Bryan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions