the underground railroad find

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
in between rain showers, i got about an hour in the woods out beside my house where a camp used to be, i had been finding many nails and getting sick of digging them so i moved about twenty feet away only to have the MD start going off strong over a large patch i figured it must be an old barrel top or something, but i had to check it out ( i'll probably dig every signal for a while ::) ), well it turned to be a large toy train set from probably the 60's, i pulled about 40 pieces of track, many trelliss parts, 30 track connectors, a bridge, and 3 flat bed cars,

i also found lots of other iron junk, including a half of a very strange looking horseshoe, then my luck ran out, it started to raining hard and i had to run for cover :( .

Pat.

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Interesting Find,,,
Were all the pieces just lying around, or were they all in a container? Seems odd finding them in the woods...
Also, is it the older 3 rail type ( Lionel ), or the newer ( HO ) scale?..
An old Lionel train set is one of the only treasures I still have from when I was a kid. I found an 2 old engines, several different types of cars, and some track, in an attic of a house one of my cousin's was moving into... It all still works great, and one of the engines even smokes, chugs & toots. ;D

Good Hunting,, Thats the way to check it out,, ya never know until ya dig it...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
hehe i thought you found something from the slavery period underground railroad hehe,neat find anyway

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
they were all loose under the leaves and brush and the last things i found were the flat cars and they were under thorn bushes :( , i don't think it was that old though, they were the 2 rail lionel tracks, i haven't gotten back out there yet, i think the engine and transformer must be nearby i've found just about everything else of it though, there used to be a seasonal camp building about 20' from where i found it, it was probably just something to keep the kids occupied on those rainy summer day.

i had thought of the title for the post while i was digging them out ;D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds fun to find,

keep us posted on any more!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i don't have a way to post pic's but i'll try to find something similar on the web and post a link to see it.

it seemd to get very wide in the middle of it, and it had many nail openings along it, i've never seen one like it before, but iv'e haven't been around horses much either, maybe it's for road use ?

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i don't think the stuff has any value :( , other than being some of my first finds :D, but do i like the horseshoe 1/2, but i still havn't found anything like it on the web, there is a tack shop down the road from me i'll ask there about it when i get a chance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions