some silver and an 1899 Queen Victoria British Penny!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
I've been on vacation all week, so what better way to spend the time off than to be out detecting! While it has been wet and dreary, it hasn't`t been too cold, so this is the result of two days detecting in the woods. I managed a 46 quarter and Rosie and also this 43 merc. a bit of a surprise was this 1899 Queen Victoria British Penny. How it got to be where it was is anyones guess but I was happy to dig it! Also not pictured are about 9 Wheaties all from the 40s and 50s. Hopefully I will be able to get out a few more days before its back to work time. If I don’t get the chance to say it later I will now, Happy New Year everyone!

Attachments

• 12-27-2007 10;18;24PM.jpg
    12-27-2007 10;18;24PM.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 577
  • 12-27-2007 10;21;30PM.jpg
    12-27-2007 10;21;30PM.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 598
  • vacation stuff.jpg
    vacation stuff.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 554
Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Great looking 1899 coin, dude. Throw in some silver, solid couple days of detecting.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
That big penny looks in pretty nice shape. Nice Silver coins too!
Not a bad end of year hunt!
Congrats!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
very nice big "old" vailed style queen vickie penny --- very nice shape too I must say --- Ivan

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
What a cool find on that Half Penny, Hollow!!
Congrats on your silver too! Great hunt!

Happy New Year!
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
thanks everyone! the penny looks so good because of the tried and true "peroxide cleaning method!" it really works nice on cruddy copper coins!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool beans
happy new year 8)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Take it you were using the Minelab....Congrat's and Happy New Year to you too!!!

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
civilman1 said:
Take it you were using the Minelab....Congrat's and Happy New Year to you too!!!

yup, but any machine would have found these coins. they were all just under the leaf litter in the woods. for some reason, things dont sink very deep in the woods around here.

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Nice finds, hollow!

That British penny is pretty neat and I'll bet was quite a surprise too!

Enjoy the hunting weather while it lasts.

Thanks for sharing.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost definately brought back as a WWI keep sake. 8)

Master Sarge

Feb 23, 2007
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3 / 6x10" DD & 10" DD Coils / Bullseye II Probe
Hey Hollowpoint, is there something that you look for when finding a place to hunt in the woods. I have never hunted in the woods and I think it would be very fun and interesting. Any tips you could provide would be great!!!

OP
OP
hollowpointred

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Master Sarge said:
Hey Hollowpoint, is there something that you look for when finding a place to hunt in the woods. I have never hunted in the woods and I think it would be very fun and interesting. Any tips you could provide would be great!!!

the best thing is research. to find out if people were using the area for camping, swimming, etc. the more people that were in the area the better. sometimes the library will have a local history section where you can look up where the swimming holes and picnic sites used to be. talk to people, older folks who might remember stuff, find a hunting buddy who you can swap ideas with. when you are in the woods, look for tree carvings, high trash areas (old trash). even though it sucks digging old trash, it tells you that people were in the area in the time frame you are looking for. look for anything that looks out of place. like a lone pine tree in a forest of oaks. often times these were planted for shade and are now the only thing thats left of the property. remember that nature doesnt draw straight lines, trees lined up all nice and straight were most times planted. look for flowers that bloom every year like tulips, they were probably planted. fruit trees like apple trees can be a good sign. also high ground like the top of a big hill can be a great spot to hunt. folks gravitate towards the tops of hills to hang out. i dont know why but more than a few times i have seen this to be the case. water like a creek of pond will often draw people to them. also hunt the woods in the winter time. in summer the bugs, snakes, and poison ivy make hunting the woods way too much trouble. hope this helps! ;)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that 1899 is a great find Hollowpoint ;) and the rest is excellent also congrats ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats HP.
Neat looking 1899 coin.
-MM-

topdog

Dec 2, 2007
Navarre, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Looks like you had a good two days worth of hunting. The Silver looks great and it's always fun to dig those wheaties. Cool looking Queen Victoria penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread