my first standing LQ and possible KG!

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX
My first few hunts of 08 have been quite unproductive, but I did manage my first standing liberty quarter last week. I'm guessing its 1925 or older as the date had been obliterated and they didn't go to the recessed style date until after 25'.

Today I went back to the same spot (1760's farm site) and pulled out what I think is a copper. It was about 6 inches down and read a good +85 on my DX.

As I sit here typing this...I was just about to say it's blank...but I just rubbed my thumb on it and can now make out some type of bust!! I will try and take another picture in a few minutes....it has a small hole on top and it appears to have been shot on the bottom. Maybe my first KG!

standingLQunknownobverse.jpg

standingLQunknownreverse.jpg

Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WTG!! I haven't found one yet! Let us know what you find out. Try a toothpick to maybe remove some of the crud.

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
woj

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX
Re: my first standing LQ and possible KG! (updated)

Here is what I now think is NOT a KG copper, but rather something else.....sure as hell looks like George Washington to me.

Moon there is nothing to pick off! It's just shot both literally and figuratively. That bottom indentation is what looks to me as a bullet mark. It really protrudes to the back.

Any of you coppa experts...help me out here.

unknowncoin1.jpg

unknowncoin1outline.jpg

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOJ,
Congrats on your first SLQ.

Would sure be interesting to know what kind of coin your coppa is.
HH.
rob

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too hard to say, but I sure would not think GW in any manner, the outline you have drawn, leaves me to believe possible French Sol or some other similar coin from the 1700's.
Try googling French Sol or French Liard and see if you see something similar, I do, but do not want to influence you on what you might be seeing.

If you are from the Northeast or Canada, or even NJ :), than I would put even more credence to it being a French copper.

Don

Added: I just looked at my one and only French Colonial, it is a heavily worn 1774-89 estimated 1 Sol copper, size of a half penny and the bust and outline is very similar, especially at the bottom of the bust. The reverse on mine is worn smooth and the wear pattern is very close to yours, so for now, I will say you found a French 1 Sol copper, probably same date range as mine. I will take a pic and see if we can compare.

OP
OP
woj

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX
Thanks Don, I was hoping you would reply. I does look like a French Sol that I see on ebay. But the nose of mine looks to be a bit pointier.

I think I can make out a "1" where the date is supposed to be.

I am in the northeast, I am in NJ, and I'm not too far from you!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After comparing the bottom of the busts I think it is safe to say, French Sol.

Don

Attachments

• frenchcomparison.jpg
    frenchcomparison.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 677
OP
OP
woj

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX
Woo hooo!! Finally after 10 years I broke into the 1700's!! Thank you Don for the news and taking the time to help me! I agree with your findings.

I sure wish the thing wasn't manglefukt....

OP
OP
woj

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX
This is what it's supposed to look like. Apparently what I thought was the number "1" is that horse type thing under the bust. Thanks again Don. You mentioned 1774 to 1789...this example is 1791? How long did they mint these?

sol.gif

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Before you go and try to dig the corrosion off with a tooth pick or other offencive weapon,
Try the peroxide method. It is easier on the surface of the copper.

Thom
OD

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I love the large coppers. I have been fortunate enough to find a few large cents and also a few colonials (including a KG II). In my experience, all three American large cents rang up as +85 on my DFX but the KG and the 4 other colonials I found were all in the 70's. Most were about +75 (give or take a few points)

That colonial silver in your avatar pic. looks great too. :o I must have missed that post. I'm still looking for my first colonial silver :-\

Keep up the good work. I can't wait for spring. This snow sucks!! :'(

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I certainly wouldn't use a toothpick on it. To be honest, it looks like the dirt is gone off of it--and the green patina is left (which is what you want). I wouldn't even use peroxide on it. I doubt you'd get any more detail off the coin than it already shows.

Great find!

-Buckleboy

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woj, Congrats on some GREAT finds!

It looks like someone tried to punch a hole through that copper so it could be worn around the neck.

Good luck on your future hunts!
watercolor

xlt nh

Jul 28, 2006
Cheshire, Mass
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, DFX 300
Here's mine that I dug in December next to an old House here in New Hampshire...very cool find so far from it's home. :)

Congrats!
~Hank 8)

Attachments

• Gratia Coin 12-1-07.jpg
    Gratia Coin 12-1-07.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 581
  • Gratia Coin 12-1-07.jpg
    Gratia Coin 12-1-07.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 608
OP
OP
woj

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX
I don't think anything can be done to clean this thing up....like Buckleboy said...I'm afraid if I try anything I will lose what little detail there is.

Kirk, I really thought it was a GW ship halfpenny or some type of GW coin when I first made out the bust.

Evo...my avatar is an 1800 Half Reale...I found that back in 1997/98 (my rookie year), and actually posted it here on Tnet back then for ID. The great thing about that find was that I was digging wheats from the 1950's, then that thing popped out.

Thanks for lookn.

P.S. French coins don't last very long in the ground do they?

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woj said:
This is what it's supposed to look like. Apparently what I thought was the number "1" is that horse type thing under the bust. Thanks again Don. You mentioned 1774 to 1789...this example is 1791? How long did they mint these?

I have no idea, I have not looked up information on this coin since I found mine, so all I know is what is written on my flip it. My coin was found before I had internet at home, so my research came from the Library in town back in 1997.
Don

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
woj said:
I don't think anything can be done to clean this thing up....like Buckleboy said...I'm afraid if I try anything I will lose what little detail there is.

Kirk, I really thought it was a GW ship halfpenny or some type of GW coin when I first made out the bust.

Evo...my avatar is an 1800 Half Reale...I found that back in 1997/98 (my rookie year), and actually posted it here on Tnet back then for ID. The great thing about that find was that I was digging wheats from the 1950's, then that thing popped out.

Thanks for lookn.

So what you're saying is that the French coins surrender easily! ;D Nice finds!

OP
OP
woj

woj

Jun 29, 2005
En Jay
Detector(s) used
DFX
halfdime said:
woj said:
So what you're saying is that the French coins surrender easily! ;D Nice finds!

You are correct sir! My thoughts exactly!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread