Bonus find today sorting last weeks stuff

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember picking this up because it was chunky, threw it in with the rest of the broken china, bottle tops...while washing this off in the bucket just now I realized it had a face on it..... I rekon a top to a sugar bowl or something along those lines... I think I'll keep it! ;D

Attachments

• bonus.JPG
    bonus.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 632
  • bonus1.JPG
    bonus1.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 623
Upvote 0

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Best to always check twice. That's pretty cool.
Tenn. Joe

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I love pottery and plate shards --- their an excellent way to date sites often in my veiw.

OP
OP
Chitlin

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't figgure out if it's a monkey or a tiger? I'll get a picture of the bottom later. There is a hole right under the head like it would have been the apex of a lid... I don't know why I think sugar....

I'm not real good at researching stuff on the www... any china buffs have any ideas of key words to search?

Chitlin

Attachments

• bonus2.JPG
    bonus2.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 337
  • bonus3.JPG
    bonus3.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 336
  • bonus4.JPG
    bonus4.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 323

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
were these two found close together? -- and look on the back side of the flower "plate" -- it might have marking that might help id it. as to maker and time frame.

I too would think a lid of sorts---- like a sugar bowl or "candy dish" cover lid or for a stew type dish (called a tureen)-- the size of the "grabber" (monkey or tiger) could give you an idea of the overall size of the lid --the bigger the holder the bigger the lid --otherwise --it would be too heavy ratio wize and would easily pull lose from the hand of the person--- the bigger the "grabber" or handle the bigger lid and thus the bigger bowl was---

my rough guess is this -- looks like chinese type --- "loin or tiger" tureen cover design --blue and white starburst design -- the chinese made the "fine china" originals ----(and english made knock off copies of them for "bulk sale" as common trade goods ) in the early 1800's to mid 1850's era. --- very nice find indeed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread