AWESOME 180 Year Old Pewter Military Whistle Found At Colonial House Site!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello All,

I got out for a few hours today with BuckleBoy and Rodeo Recon and hunted a newly found colonial house site that, as of today, has given up THREE 1700s Silver Spanish coins! We had figured that this would be our last hunt for a while at this site, but we are rethinking that after today. I will not say what BuckleBoy found, but I'm sure you will see his post soon enough. Anyway, I found this little cast pewter whistle today and found out that is was widely used by the military at that time and that it dates from the 1820s. This is the smallest whistle that I have ever seen! Shown is a 1909 wheat found last week for size. We found several relics at this site that suggest that there was a pre Civil War veteran living there at one time. It was an awesome feeling to be the first person in well over a hundred years to give this whistle back its long lost sound. After I cleaned it up and blew it, it was like taking a trip back in time! I know, it sounds strange, but it's true. BuckleBoy was there and, I'm sure, felt the same way. Anyway, that's my find for the day. Let me know what you think. Thanks and HH!

Fox

P.S. I think I might start wearing this thing on a chain for good luck on my hunts from now on!

Attachments

• whistle1.jpg
    whistle1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 2,684
  • whistle2.jpg
    whistle2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,230
Upvote 5

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
civilman1 said:
I'd be afraid I'd inhale it....that thing is tiny :o Great find,you all have one heck of a site there.HH!!

You always did puff way to hard Joe
Lol

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing little find and equally amazing that after so long in the ground you were the first person in a very long time to blow it!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of those are cracker jack toys

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some of those are cracker jack toys

I actually beg to differ. Could you post a photo of the cracker jack toys? Most of these were found in pre-CW sites, and the style is clearly different from anything that came in a candy box. I have dug crackerjack prizes before. These aren't them.

-Buck

grlangfitt

Mar 29, 2013
Powhatan, Va
Detector(s) used
BH 505
AT Pro
Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one I found wasn't at a home site. I found this one one the hillside about 50 yards down from a cannon implacement across the Chickahomney River from Cold Harbor.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all In a letter written by Benjamin Franklin in 1779 about his childhood, buying a whistle for a few pennies in the 1720's When Benjamin Franklin was the Envoy to France he wrote the letter called "The Whistle" to one Madame Brillion on the 10 Nov. 1779.

tinpan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread