Didnt get the skunking this time

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Didn't get the skunking this time

As a lot of you have seen, up north here we had a little thaw. Just enough to completely unfreeze everything(until today – 9 F) So Nate and I got the itch. Friday after work(school for Nate) we went over to JZ’s house. Built in the 20’s it had potential. We found some wheat pennies, some clad, an 18K plated ring and one interesting “tag”. It says 4 5 5 . Any ideas as to what it tagged? The big nail was still stuck trough the hole when I found it.

JZshousefinds800.jpg

Saturday was even nicer than Friday (partly sunny and 41). Nate and I both slept in and the wife and I had afternoon plans so we could only do a couple hours. We chose to go to a relatively close park that we have really worked hard. We really didn’t expect to find much but it was nice and we knew that the park would be mostly ours.

20 minutes into the hunt I come over to where Nate had just dug a deep hole. He happily tells me that he scored a merc. He shows me how deep it was and explains that it was below a layer of gravel and that he almost gave up on it. So I hunt in the general vicinity and go exploring. An hour later all I have is a little clad and a wheat penny. :-[ :P It wasn't looking to good. Come back to where Nate is still hunting the same general area. He tells me he found about 5 more wheats. I inquire about where he found the wheats. One particular area where he found a wheat penny perked my interest since we have done very well there and have hammered it. I go over and after about 10 minutes I dig a nice 1918 merc at 2 inches. ;D I yell over to Nate who exclaims that he was just all over that area! I was very happy as it is the first silver of the year. :) Work the area a little more and dug a 1909 (haven’t checked for the VDB) that was very deep. 15 minutes later I tell Nate we gotta get home but we should detect back to the car. Got a nice tone and was very surprised to see another merc. ;D All in all it was nice weather, a short hunt with my son and we both found a keeper. That’s the way I like it.

mercs800.jpg

mercsback800.jpg

Below is a picture of all the finds from the last three hunts including a trip to the place we call the ‘berg where Nate put the skunk on me – he found the Walker and rosie and all I found was a dozen or so wheats.

AllthestuffFeb102008800.jpg

Hope everyone else has success soon.

Bob

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Didn't get the skunking this time

Excellent finds Bob, and it sounds like you guys had a great hunt! :) Thanks for sharing and the pics.

HH!
TBGO

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

does the head of the nail have a number on it? it looks like a "date nail" which were used by railroads and utility companies to mark the year a pole or tie was installed. The tag probably came from an old pole and the numbers could be a date code "45"-1945 "5" may. if the nail has a number on it that would be the year it was installed "19__". Just my thoughts

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG Bob and Nate. I also think the spike and tag are for a utility pole.

See you guys in April.

Ken

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Good to see you got out, Bob, and nice finds. I'm guessing utility pole as well.

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA

Hey Bob

Nice digs, thats a lot of wheties...and a couple of merks and hey even throw in a ring...nice haul...H.H TnT

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Looks like a good hunt to me Outstanding GUZZ1

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Ken from Atlanta said:
does the head of the nail have a number on it? it looks like a "date nail" which were used by railroads and utility companies to mark the year a pole or tie was installed. The tag probably came from an old pole and the numbers could be a date code "45"-1945 "5" may. if the nail has a number on it that would be the year it was installed "19__". Just my thoughts

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Hard to tell if there is a number on the head.

halfdime said:
Good to see you got out, Bob, and nice finds. I'm guessing utility pole as well.

Henry,
You been out lately? I see you have another avatar that I have no clue as to what it means. :D

Kas said:

See you guys in April.

Ken

Yeah Ken, April will be here very quickly.

Bob

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Mirage said:
Ken from Atlanta said:

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Hard to tell if there is a number on the head.

halfdime said:

Henry,
You been out lately? I see you have another avatar that I have no clue as to what it means. :D

Kas said:

See you guys in April.

Ken

Yeah Ken, April will be here very quickly.

Bob
Bob, I got out a couple days earlier in the week, but we're down to 5.9 degrees right now so I won't be out for a few days at least. The avatar is a 707, my favorite plane; it's up there for Nick ;D.

john37115

Nov 8, 2007
Tennessee, USA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F75, Nautilus dmc IIb, Custom Soveriegn, Pro XL, Classic IV, IDX, Compass Gold Scanner Pro

Great Post. Looks like you guys have been busy with all those digs. Great wheat and Mercs. Bet your heart sped up when you dug the ring and charm. Congrats and may you be blessed with more great weather.

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post and pics Bob. Looks like you guys had a great time. Glad you and your son both got keepers.

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

That's a sweet 1918 Merc. Looks "Extra Fine" to me. Nice $20 coin hit...

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

[/quote]

Thanks Henry...

Equal frigid in STL today...Just to cold...But made serious progress on the 727...landing gear sucks... :P :P :P :P

But that STILL does NOT stop the fact that BOB & NATE are RIGHTEOUS... ;D ;D ;D

Great stuff Guys...Living vicariously through Bob & Nate,

Nick
[/quote]

Nick - sorry no site pictures - then you really could have had more of the experience. :) Maybe next time.
You must be building a model. I haven't built a model since I was a youngin. Something I use to enjoy a lot.

Bob

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WTG Bob on the silver and wheats..always fun to dig. Glad you got out, there's been some good opportunities for many of us this winter with these breaks in the weather.

Nat

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The tag does look very similar to the ones that used to be used at the utility that I work at. We used the same type of square nail with the last two digits(the last years I have seen were in the 60's) for the year on the head. Our pole tags were brass and started in 1928 and lasted into the 50's.The tag would identify the pole as being 45 feet long with the 5 being a "class size". Meaning it had to have a minumum size at the top to get this rating.

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice stuff Mirage.
Where are the close ups of that ring?

We dig Ohio
SKD

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bob,
Some nice finds for you and Nate. That tag and large nail is a super find. Your 1918 Merc is in awesome condition too. Glad to see you guys out and about.
Congrats,
Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread