Paydirt

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Ok, it may not be as great as most I see here but it is my first CW relics. The "field Hospital site that a friend of mine told me about, well really wasn't or didn't turn up anything. Talking with some of the other residents there it seems that a CW troop did movce through the area. I didn't find any CW relic or old coins. Feeling a bit disappointed I asked a friend of mine of he wanted to go over to a farm that I had just recieved permission to detect on Sat. After arriving there the owner gave some great historical 411. It used to be a plantation until it burned down in 1902. The place sat dormant for a while. Any way, I did better than expected. One of the bullets has a hole in the top of it where it was carved down to the current shape. As for the buckle, the best info I can find is that it must have been used as a utility strap buckle. The rusted round object appears to be a part of a horses bridle and bit. Now the button has a barely redable part of a U peeking out from under the corrosion. As best I can research it is a Union coat button from the collar. The piece of metal has "G & P VA" on it. Anyone have a clue? Well this place is hudge and more to come (plenty).

Attachments

• P2190163.JPG
    P2190163.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • P2190165.JPG
    P2190165.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,081
  • P2190166.JPG
    P2190166.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,094
Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
As long as you are able to get out and do some detecting.......that's a good day! Finding interesting things is just icing on the cake!! WTG!!

HH,
Moon

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CW finds are my favorites! GREAT bullets, Gary!! Congrats on the finds and good luck on your return!!

Nana :)

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Thanks nana40 and moonshadow. I'm going back this weekend and make a whole day of it. There must be at least 500 acers of just fields and then there is the area where the slave's house was and it's still there. After asking about three property owners this one said yes. It's my first private land detecting spot. It was also my first CW finds. Can't hardly wait. Glad I got a XLT. I would never have found any of this with my Garretts (I don't think). Any tips using the XLT to hunt plowed fields? Thanks

Lee43

Oct 29, 2006
East central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
I believe that the minie ball with the hole in it may have been carved down and a hole drilled in it to use as a fishing sinker. I have dug a few like that over the years................Lee

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Congrats on your first CW finds!!!
I have only found one of those big bullets, but being here in Indian I feel very lucky to have found it... You just can't get a feel for how big them things actually are until you dig one up...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Thanks all. This weekend I plan to hit the area of the slave's quarters and apple orchards. Hopefuly something great will show up.

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
As good as they get if you come away with CW Relics. thats my take.. Nice finds. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread