Went back to the old site!!!

H

hard pan

I went out today it was raining off and on so i went to the site and hopped in bottum of the cellarhole . I started moviing some of the stones out and cleared a good area and turn my detector on and set disc at 8 and was digging all the high tones . I got this nice signal it was a big piece of cast iron i checked the hole again got a nice signal i dugg down about 12inches and pulled out this old half dollar dated 1836 i think its a bust half ???

Attachments

• bust front.JPG
    bust front.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 640
  • bust back.JPG
    bust back.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 636
Upvote 0
J

Joe (Memphis)

GREAT FIND!!
6,545,000 minted
G4 $45.00
VG8 $50.00
F12 $53.50
VF20 $60.00
XF40 $100.00
Reference from 2006 US Coin Digest, KP Books.

OP
OP
H

hard pan

I forgot i had pieces of a claypipe it looks like they are a perfect match what do you guys think ???

Attachments

• clay.JPG
    clay.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 635
R

robert_from_pa

Coin doesn't look dug to me... Honestly I'm having a hard time believing all this. Give us some details on yourself, how long you've been hunting, etc... look forward to it.

OP
OP
H

hard pan

I found this coin 12inches down after i took the piece of cast iron out first the coin was packed with wet soil i took it home and wash it very carefully . I have been metal detecting for 22 years and have had differant machines.I enjoy posting my finds and sharing the pics to show everone outthere you can still find things. I guess i am not welcome here bye??????

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Please don't abandon us! I believe you.I found a 1893-S half a couple years ago near some iron and it came out looking about that good. People who haven't found something that cool have a hard time believing it's possible. And if they don't believe it's not likely to happen to them.You gotta believe it can happen and it will!

R

robert_from_pa

I haven't been fortunate enough to find a busted half yet, but I've found my share of good stuff, so don't worry about that. I just smell a rat here, and I'm sorry it bothers you, but I'm gonna step up and say something about it.

Last I heard it is a free country, and I can choose to believe or not - in this case, I don't. Mark, Jeff, if either of you guys have a problem with it, please feel free to ban me.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To Robert from Austin. I'm curious as to why you don't take the original poster's find as a dug coin. Can you enlighten the group as to what, SPECIFICALLY you see in the pic that tells you it's not as the poster stated? I'm sure we would all like to learn. JG

R

robert_from_pa

When a coin's been in the ground for as long as that one would have been, it will have tiny scratches. Silver is soft, and even washing it off with water will cause these tiny abrasions. This coin has none.

Also, contact with ground minerals will cause some kind of discoloration in the metal (darkening, coloring, patina, etc.) and again I don't see any here. The coin does not look dug.

I also find it hard to believe that someone hunting cellar holes would not already know what a busted half is.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted a picture today of some clad quarters and they all look bright and shiney in the photo. I can assure you all but one are almost black but don't look like it in the photo. Photos cn be deceiving.

R

robert_from_pa

Never said it was shiny... I said it didn't have any clear signs of being in the ground...

oknorom

Sep 17, 2004
Texas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
nice coin! robert in austin, i've never heard of a "busted" half. i believe they're called 'bust' coins, not 'busted' coins. if you're going to try and be mr. smart guy, make sure you get the terminology correct.

B

Broncox Vernon BC

c'mon people, dug or not..........and I think it was!, but really, do we not all share in the same interests here??...ya know M E T A L D E T E C T I N G!!!!, I think this guy has a legitimate find and some people are skeptical about that, but for #$%^ sakes just because someone found a better find than you doesn't mean it's a hoax. That BRLA guy really stirred the pot
Personally I have better things to do than make fake posts....as does "everyone else" on this forum I think.
So c'mon back Hard Pan don't let some jealous jacka_ _ ruin it for ya!

BTW Hard Pan thats a beauty of a coin!!.........ANY MORE YOU THINK???

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Very nice coin Hard Pan,Hope folks don't stop posting all the nice finds becouse their to afrade someone might think its not dug,to clean not dirty enough on and on.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread