Sunday

J

Joe (Memphis)

I think I may have found a school that hasn't been hunted. I went out today looking for anywhere to MD, and decided to drive some of the backroads of my county. I eventually ran across a closed down, windows broken out, overgrown school house. After driving around with the top down for a few hours my allergies were killing me, and I decided to head home. Well here was this school house, so I couldnt resist and I stopped. The grass was knee high everywhere but the "monkey bars" so I turned on the 1350 and literaly drug the coil through the grass to get to the bars. Right before getting to them it sounded off with quarter, so I dug that one, then under the bars (about 15' square) I got another quarter, three dimes, and two pennies. All from the most obvious place on the property, so that is why I think it may not have been hunted. The dates were all in the mid 80's except the pennies, I have them in the ultrasound cleaner and still can't tell the front from the back, that soil was rough, the other clad came out black. I hated to, but I had to leave, the allergies got so bad my left eye swole shut, and I couldn't stop sneezing. Will have to down a bottle of Benadryl, and head back.

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds promising! Hope you get to go back. Better keep an eye out for the snakes! I have seen several over the last couple of days.

Nana ;)

OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

Yea, it was prime snake country!!

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
Nice finds! I wish I could get into the schools on a weekend. All the schools around here are fenced, gated, and locked up tight! Except for the high school. I can get in there on the weekends up near where the track is. I went once, but the ground is packed hard! Didn't find anything except a paperclip and some old soda cans. The school isn't very old though so I don't expect to find any relics. I'll take the clad though!

vicki

OP
OP
J

Joe (Memphis)

Mowing is a definate necessity! The ground was surprisingly soft, like it was maybe sand at one time.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site! It just reminded me that I know where an old school was demolished a few years ago, think I'll check it out as you have inspired me. I have allergies too but not that bad, just a little runny nose and stuffiness. If nothing else, mow beneath the windows as that is where I always find my oldest coins when hunting schools.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the site. Looks like you will have a place to dirt fish for some time to come if you can get the grass down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread