Gun cleaner (Now Corkscrew!) from the garden!

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Maybe this should be in the "What's it?" forum, but I did find it in my garden today while planting some corn and I have a good idea of what it is.? The XLT was not even with me, I eyeballed it.? The end concealed inside is a wire brush, and I bet it fits nicely with the fired and unfired small caliber slugs I have found in my yard.? I can't find anything like this doing a search though.? Too bad the tiller hit it a few times...

Attachments

• IMG_2703-2.JPG
    IMG_2703-2.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2704-2.JPG
    IMG_2704-2.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2705-2.JPG
    IMG_2705-2.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2707-2.JPG
    IMG_2707-2.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_2708-2.JPG
    IMG_2708-2.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_2709-2.JPG
    IMG_2709-2.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Re: Gun cleaner from the garden?

Thanks Badger, I always appreciate your replies. At first I thought it was a live rifle round, then lipstick until it unscrewed all the way, then maybe mascara or something, until I felt the wire brush and decided it was a tool to be used in the 90 degree position as in the last pic.

OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa

Perhaps I stand corrected? What I thought was a wire brush has dissolved into a corkscrew after a few hours in open air. Did I find a novelty cork remover shaped like a bullet? ???

Attachments

• IMG_2710-2.JPG
    IMG_2710-2.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 261
OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa

Okay, sorry for replying to myself so much. Now I feel foolish and know what the slot in the other side is for....... It IS a corkscrew!

Attachments

• IMG_2711-2.JPG
    IMG_2711-2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 276
R

rvbvetter

? Never seen any thing like it. ? Unique ? ? ?Guess it is a cork screw. ?How long is it?
? Cool find!!

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Hey that was one of the BEST posts I have seen! That was cool seeing that little "mystery" unravel like that. It is a cool find. Thanks for the post...can ya do another one like that ya think??? lol Was cool! Lookin forward to your next post, good luck on your next hunt.....maybe find the bottle that belongs to the corkscrew huh? :)

OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Thanks everybody, next time I'll check my find better before posting. Or maybe not since you all enjoyed it so much! :D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a cleaner designed for a cap and ball revolver.? The brush to remove the built up black powder residue and the corkscrew to remove the ball from an unfired cylinder. The black powder residue use to build up after several shots to where you couldn't seat a ball and it had to be cleaned out to reload the firearm.? If you had a misfire you could screw the corkscrew into the soft pure lead ball and pull it out to be able to reload the cylinder.?Most of them had a brush and a corkscrew or at least the ones I have seen. Very good historic find!?

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Sugarsand.? That was cool.? When I scroll down real fast, it's like a movie.? ?;D? Kinda like one of those old flip books. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread