Identified and old Find Today.... George II 1729 - 1739 Copper HalfPenny!!!

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Just as I was heading out to dig.. massive storm comes rolling in!! So.. went home.. my 10 year old and I sat down and started going through bags of coins from the last 10 or so years. The first I finally ID'ed was a nice Conn Copper!! I dug it in my own yard a few years ago and thought it was a conterfeit.. but now I am thinking it was just a really bad strike! I finally found my copy of Breens and was able to make the ID. The second was a George III Halfpenny - 1770s.. so that was great!! BUT.. the best "refind" of the day was a worn copper I dug from an old house site years ago.. well.. checked the Seaby's Coins of England and there it was!! A George II Young Bust 1729-1739!!! That is the earliest copper I have found!! I was just blown away when my latest site produced two 1772 halfpennys, one in really good condition... but this is outstanding!!! With the weather I am doing a complete inventory of my coins, something I have never done.. I'll post the totals later..

I'll post pictures when my batteries are all charged!!

MonkeyBoy

Upvote 0

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
The weather around here sure puts a damper on hunting (for real)! Well hopefully tomorrow will be better.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
jc in culpeper said:
The weather around here sure puts a damper on hunting (for real)! Well hopefully tomorrow will be better.

It did today!! That was a pretty nasty storm that rolled through.. glad I was in my way.. nit 1/2 mile out in the woods from my car!!!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
wow! who needs to go out when you've got treasure like that in your house! glad your son went thru them w/ you.

OP
OP
MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
mamabear said:
wow! who needs to go out when you've got treasure like that in your house! glad your son went thru them w/ you.

I hear you !!! The entire yard was bulldozed and dirt moved all over... so as it settles back down I have been getting more and more... lots of buttons.. but only 3 coins worth mentioning.. but there are more!!

MonkeyBoy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread