Help With ID, I thought It was a CW Eagle Button at First.

K

KirkTN

I dug this today on the edge of an old road that was used from the early 1800's to Early 1900's. We'd been hunting an old school ground that sits up in the woods from this old road. On the way back to my truck I got a Good strong signal and plucked out this little dandy. I sure thought It was a CW Eagle button at first but when I turned it over I noticed it was some sort of Pin. A small piece of the needle is still attached on the right hand side of the pic. It has the old C shape clasp without a lock.  The Shield on the Eagle is dented in. My gut feeling is that it's some sort of CW hat pin. Can someone please help me lock in a definite ID. PLEASE. Found more I'm trying to get cleaned up including a couple Indian Heads, a flag pin and a nice suspender type buckle.

P.S. It measures 21mm

KirkTN  

Attachments

• eaglepin50.jpg
    eaglepin50.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 520
  • eaglebuttonpinback50.jpg
    eaglebuttonpinback50.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 520
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KirkTN this is indeed a strange piece. I have to admit that it looks much like a General Service, that I agree, but you can plainly see that it is a hat pin. At first I thought maybe a button converted into a pin but it appears to be all of one piece and not altered at all. It is possible that it maybe earlier than the Civil War..

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

{Sentinel} said:
KirkTN this is indeed a strange piece. I have to admit that it looks much like a General Service, that I agree, but you can plainly see that it is a hat pin. At first I thought maybe a button converted into a pin but it appears to be all of one piece and not altered at all. It is possible that it maybe earlier than the Civil War..
Hello Sentinel, General Sevice was my first thought Too. I've never seen one like this. If you by chance find out something on it I'd sure appreciate the info. This one's got me puzzled. :icon_scratch:

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Nice find!! I have seen an Eagle button that was a cape device also. The one I saw was 1/2 of the set and it had a brass loop that came out and went side ways.. looked like it "locked" into another piece.. maybe this is the other half of a cape pin set?

MonkeyBoy

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
MonkeyBoy said:
Nice find!! I have seen an Eagle button that was a cape device also. The one I saw was 1/2 of the set and it had a brass loop that came out and went side ways.. looked like it "locked" into another piece.. maybe this is the other half of a cape pin set?

MonkeyBoy

Buttons with side loops are generally from "sweetheart belts." Some of the major button manufacturers produced side-looped buttons for that purpose.

http://www.cowanauctions.com/upcoming_dates_view_item.asp?ItemId=48687&AuctionName=

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

PBK said:
MonkeyBoy said:

MonkeyBoy

Buttons with side loops are generally from "sweetheart belts." Some of the major button manufacturers produced side-looped buttons for that purpose.

http://www.cowanauctions.com/upcoming_dates_view_item.asp?ItemId=48687&AuctionName=
Do you have any Idea PBK. I thought for sure some one would have this solved by now.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Looks very much to me like a native American design, with the curve of the bird's head, the short wings, and long tail.

olenodigger

Mar 2, 2007
north florida,U.S
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250,infinum LS,White's Spectra V3i,white's TDI pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the face looks similar to the militia button GI 68 C in albert's.But the back is unusual.Great find.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk,
I can tell you this. It's old, and it's a neat find. That's all I got to say about that. :D :wink:
Nice find Buddy. You've stumped the experts. :thumbsup:
-MM-

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no Idea of the ID but that is a very nice find Kirk--WTG :thumbsup:

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

olenodigger said:
the face looks similar to the militia button GI 68 C in albert's.But the back is unusual.Great find.

I wish I owned that book, I'd like to see the button you're talkin' about, tried to find by cutting and pasting your info in the search but had no luck. If you find out something please let me know. thanks man.
stanjam said:
Looks very much to me like a native American design, with the curve of the bird's head, the short wings, and long tail.
It is a bit different. The Eagles neck is straight up not bent/curved and the feathers on the back of his head are raised, the picture doesn't show this well but It's very clear when lookin' at it in my hand. Thanks for your take on this.
ModernMiner said:
Kirk,
I can tell you this. It's old, and it's a neat find. That's all I got to say about that. :D :wink:
Nice find Buddy. You've stumped the experts. :thumbsup:
-MM-
Hey MM, I'm hopin' I haven't stumped 'em too bad, I'd sure like to know more about this little dandy. I Do Think It must be Rare :wink: :D
Merf said:
I have no Idea of the ID but that is a very nice find Kirk--WTG :thumbsup:
Thank You Merf.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish I could be the bearer of good new's Kirk but sorry!!Definetley a pin but that's all I can see out of it.It's an awesome find though believe me.I wish I knew more buddy,but let us know if you ever find out......I'll look here as well.Congrat's and HH!!

OP
OP
K

KirkTN

civilman1 said:
I wish I could be the bearer of good new's Kirk but sorry!!Definetley a pin but that's all I can see out of it.It's an awesome find though believe me.I wish I knew more buddy,but let us know if you ever find out......I'll look here as well.Congrat's and HH!!
CivilMan, I do appreciate it, I was hopein' you'd see it and maybe have the scoop. I'm hopin' MontanaJim or BuckleBoy may know somethin' on it too. I don't know how many real civil war buffs are members here but I Hope one comes along that can ID the little jewel. :D Thanks again Amigo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions