Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1800's Dr.s house.....yes I can!

Hubby and I went out exploring the country side.....long story short.....driving down a long country road, hubby was telling me that he thought a guy he went to school with moved to the area years ago, as we topped the hill we noticed a man tending some property. Slammed on the breaks, backed up and the man came over, stuck his head into the window and said, "You know that I still hate you!" Well I was hoping that it was all in fun, and thank goodness it was! He proceeded to tell me that Charlie (hubby) was the only guy in high school that could beat him in arm wrestling. Well, we told him that we were out looking for some possible places for me to metal detect and he said "I got a perfect place for you!" First off we helped him to corral some cows from one pasture to another, then off to see the family cabin and barn that was built by his GGrandfather in the 1800's! You know I was in heaven seeing all this stuff! Just before dark he took us down the road a piece and we drove up to an old two story house. He said "Here ya go....this aught to keep you busy for a while!" He told me that he had bought this place and that it had been owned by a doctor back in the 1800's. It sits on 100 acres and has a couple of old barns. It's all grown up and falling in. I'm going there tomorrow and by golly I'm gonna try! There is an old rock wall by the drive and from some of the posts that I have read on here, I think I'll make that my starting point. ;)
If any of you have any advice to offer......I'm listening! ;)
Nana ;)

Upvote 0

Kent in AL

Mar 21, 2003
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Fisher CZ-6a, ID Edge
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: 1800's Dr.s house.....yes I can!

Way to go Nana! You've won half the battle by finding a good potential spot. It's great that it's someone you know so you can come and go as you please. Please keep us posted on all the Barber and Seated coins you find. ;D

Kent

P

Pooley

Take it slow and easy and hunt in all metal mode. Bound to be some nice relics there.

P

Pooley

If it were me, I would spend the whole holiday weekend hunting, sleep in the car or pitch a tent, hunt from sun up to ?????

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL

I'm soooooooooooo jealous!!! Good luck on the hunt! I can't wait to see what you find!

vicki

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't forget the entrances to the house and barns and any possible walkways that might be obvious. Around any large trees that might date the sight and the front yard. Outhouses present? Dig them to! Be observant and use your imagination, the site has probably changed alot from what it was. You just might find a cache or two. What happened to the Doctor that lived there? Grid the areas slow and then come back to the areas that are hard to detect. You have an awesome site, I'm anxious to hear how you do and what you find! HH, Mike

P

PrizmIV

O Alabama the beautiful

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pic of old house..................... ;)

Attachments

• 100_0389dr.house.JPG
    100_0389dr.house.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 328

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, that place should keep you busy for some time!!! Congrats!! HH

R

rusty nails

SWEET ! - I'd like to hunt that - good luck ;)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nana, that looks like one hell of a spot to hunt! I've detected alot recently around stone walls in CT, and I've learned to be patient. Bring a LARGE trash bag with you, cuz your going to find trash. Be on the lookout for old dumps along these walls, especially where walls meet in a corner. These are great places to find the old dump sites, and a good source for old bottles. Take your time, plan your hunt, clear the trash out, and then go for the good stuff! Oh, and post what you find for us!!! Good luck!

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac

Congrats to you. A couple of things...... I guess its pretty obvious, but please dont be tempted to go in the house. Looks very dangerous. Also, dont be discouraged if at first you dont succeed at this sight. I have had sights like this in the past, and some didn't meet my expectations. Anything is possible here, no kids, not much traffic ever, been detected( these darn things have been around since WW2, never dropped anything, the list goes on. Of course, as you start detecting , you will find things. They may not be coins or they may be. There is a story to be read in all finds. Try very hard to see what the finds are telling you. They might tell you what kind of people lived there. They might tell you that someone came through with a MD before, and high-graded the place. Are there lots of non-ferrous metal targets comeing up? Thats good. Are there non-ferrous metals laying around?? That can be bad. They might have been dug and left there long ago. Any holes, or old plugs?? Oh yea, if you can safely get to it, look under the front porch, stuff falls through cracks, and kids put treasures under there. Good luck to ya, and dont forget about us when you strike it rich.

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 283
OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK....thanks for the advice!.....Got my list going! ;)

Nana ;)

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

WOW NANA,WHAT A SITE.Need some help ;D Should keep you guys diggin for a long time.Watch for the snakes,bees and ticks.Can't stand it dig and post tho's pics.Best of luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread