050525 Finds

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Went out again last night and searched a different beach. This one was really junky and rocky. Unlike the other that I have been searching which seems to be a lot of dredged up sand that has been compacted underneath and covered with clean loose sand, this other one was between a series of breakwaters and seemed to be a lot of small rock and gravel with sand over the top. A lot of trash seems to be mixed in there. Also, the top of the sand seemed to be covered with a generous amount of dead vegitation type stuff that seems to have washed down the beach from other areas. Anyways, this time I set the XLT for Relic, to see how it compared to Jewelry Beach and Coin and Jewelry which I have used, up until now.

050525-Elder-640.jpg

On the beach, I found quite a bit of stuff that was non-metalic that just happend to come up in my scoop or be near by. Some nice rocks, a little pad with whales on it. I thought it was a wallet but it seems to simply be a pad for something. It is sewn all the way around, has a piece of padding in it. Then, mostly trash. Some foil items, several pieces of metal that were rusted pretty good. One piece had a thick patina of green on it so I assume that is copper or bronze.... I found the top from an old Miller Beer can, some nails, A bolt and a couple washers. Along with a rusted old nut. Only one pull tab and beer cap though. A small amount of foil. Among the more interesting items was a stainless spoon from IKEA and a key. Then there was an item that I don't know what it is.

050525-Elder-MysteryItem1-640.jpg

050525-Elder-MysteryItem2-640.jpg

It appears to be copper and has some small wires sticking out of one side of it. There are two caps that come together with, at least 1 metal plate between them. The wires come out from around the metal plate. There appears to be some sort of clip on one end and a loop on the other.

I also found a small piece of stamped metal,

050525-Elder-Stamping-640.jpg

I don't know if it is silver or just tin. Or, what it might have come from.

Next stop was up at the tot lot, on my way back to the car. Asside from a couple pennies and a Louisiana Quarter that I found down on the beach, all the other coin came from up on the play lot.

Most of what I found was an inch under the surface but I did get quite a few items that I had to dig 4-7 inches, according to the display on the detector, to find.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The round thing with the loop on the end is the drain plug for a boat. A rubber washer goes between the two halves and is compressed when the little loop is twisted. JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs!

Keep em coming!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
W

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
JARMAN said:
NICE DIGGIN,Love the medal,is it silver?

Don't know what it is. It came up clean and as you see it in the picture. I didn't have to do anything to clean it up. It is actually about the size of one of my finger nails. I haven't figured how or where to have it tested, or even if it is worth that much attention. It is a very nice little scrap from something. I really like the design and detail. Has some nice clean edges that are curled under some. Along the bottom edge, under the grapes (???) it appears to have been cracked or cut off. It isn't easy to bend and seems a little stiff. From my recallection of when I took Jewelry making in College, I would think that it might rule out silver. At least .999 as, I think it should be softer. Could it be tin or maybe some alloy like sterling. Is sterling more stiff or hard to work?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions