One of my Best hunts, 7 Romans and Ceasar Constantinus II...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working and living part time near the French border for the past year with my job. Had more than enough time to detect the area, even have a permit from Trier however, I did not find anything old like Roman or Celtic through the year I had to detect. I moved back to Bavaria last week, just a few days before I moved, my neighbors father asked if would like to explore some areas, WWII bunkers, Roman ruins and a few other historical sites he knew of just minutes away from my apartment. Of course I wanted to but had limited time, he took me out one evening two weeks ago and showed me several interesting sites. I lent him my Ace 250 and we detected a little but mostly explored some sites. I am back in the area to send out our simulators this week and today was my last hunt here and my BEST hunt ever in the area. This is a bridge my friend showed me, no road to the left or right of it and it was never used. This was to be the B41 road, they went through clearing forests, flattening and removing obstacles and building bridges, the German Government ran out of money, I believe this was in the late 1960s, and decided it was not needed later so it was never finished.
9Apr08Bridgenoroad.jpg

My friend showed me this field and said there was a small Roman village here, then showed me a well just to the right of the deer hunter’s high stand and down the hill. After seeing the well, I was a bit skeptical as it looks to be in nice condition, tried detecting the field but it was very muddy so we moved on. I detected here today, was raining, very muddy, a few inches of snow had just melted off this week but 20 minutes into my hunt, I had found an 1800s copper coin in poor condition and a scrappy Roman coin. I detected here 4 hours in the rain and mud today, exhausting but worth it!
9Apr08RomanfieldWolf.jpg

Here is the Roman well, very nice condition for being over 1700 years old. My friend knows the owners and told me they have spent some time clearing it. I would love to dig the well out but it is a good 3’ deep, no permission to do so and did not have the proper equipment or clothes for it.
9Apr08Romwell.jpg

I found seven Roman coins and a few pieces of lead that may have been a Roman bowl as the lead pieces are curved with images on them. I have to clean them but I am in a hotel as I post this. The top middle is the better of the scrappy coins as I can make out a standing image and a few letters around the legend, the rest are in terrible condition but treasure to me! The larger coin may be a Dupondius coin.
9Apr08Roman5.jpg

I had only found the scrappy Roman coins and hoped I would find a Roman with some detail and was lucky to find this Sestertius coin, thick bronze, nearly the size of an American 50 cent coin but thicker. Obverse of the coin, hard to make out any detail.
9Apr08SestO.jpg

Reverse of the Sestertius coin, a lot of detail, standing image of a person holding a staff. An “S” to the lower left and another letter to the right I can not make out.
9Apr08SestR.jpg

I had checked other areas of the field but the Romans were coming up in a tight area, seemingly a direct path to the well. The rain was coming down now hard, I was wet, muddy and tired so I decided to cross over opposite were the Romans were coming up and I found this nice Roman coin. Looks to be from Caesar Constantinus II, Emperor of the western empire 316-340AD. Obverse of the coin.
9Apr08ConstantineO.jpg

Reverse of the coin, looks like it has the letters “LON” in the circle, could be a mint mark for Roman Londinium or as we know today, London England. I am about 35 miles from Trier, that mint mark is “PTR”. After a year of detecting here, my last hunt proves to be the best, I am totally amazed it happened this way!!! I send out the last 6 simulators in the morning and will be on the road back to Bavaria shortly afterwards. I am one happy detector but can’t wait to get back to Bavaria! HH, Mike
9Apr08ConstantineR.jpg

Upvote 0

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Unbelievable coins.. someone here from your side of the pond should be able to help with info.

Thanks for showing us, what a day!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man those are awesome finds... wish we had the age of the area you are lookin around here...
heading to an old spanish fort on saturday.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that you use my 'scrappy' descriptor instead of grots :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good hunt. Now grid it & you will get the brooches & a denarius in no time. 8)

Good luck

S

seger98

Wow, awesome finds & nice pictures, thanks for sharing!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
my heart is racing just looking at these finds! how exciting!

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for the post! The things you find never cease to amaze me... and that Roman well! Wouldn't you just love to dig that! Great post!

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang dude. I should use my George Bush money to come over there. I'd love to hunt with you guys. Nice finds. That well is super cool!
Ken

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum
that looks a great place to detect well done on the roman coins get back and hunt that field thier is more !DIG IT ALL! :thumbsup:

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Nice digs!! The other letter is "C" The SC stand for SENATUS CONSULTO (By Decree of the Senate).. meaning they said it was ok to strike the coin..

MonkeyBoy

RonO

Feb 10, 2006
Cotacachi, Ecuador
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Fisher F-75 Ltd - Omega 8000
Congratulations Mike on finally finding the Romans!

Happy Hunting,

Ron in Georgua

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow. We think it amazing when we find a 200 year old coin. You find a 1500+ year old coin! :sunny:

Great detail on that coin for being so old.

Maybe you should do a dig (pose as an archaeologist). ;D

Bob

DFX-SCOTT

Mar 18, 2008
Detector(s) used
WHITES DFX
PLEASE KEEP SHARING YOUR FINDS THEY ARE AWSOME,
WHEN I SAW THAT COIN OF THE STANDING PERSON AND THE OUT LINE OF LITTLE CEASERS HEAD
I THOUGHT, MAN I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THAT!
BUT I KNOW THATS NOT RIGHT!
I HOPE YOU HAVE STARTED A DISPLAY CASE WITH YOUR FINDS, BECAUSE THESE SHOULD BE DISPLAYED
KEEP HUNTING THAT SAME AREA IF YOU CAN!
YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT COULD BE NEXT? ANCIENT GOLD RING!

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Awesome finds! Thanks so much for sharing them.

HH,
Pepper

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mirage said:
Wow. We think it amazing when we find a 200 year old coin. You find a 1500+ year old coin! :sunny:

So true! :D

Stunning finds, Mike! I know you hate to leave that field behind, but you'll know where to go and hunt if ever you get to return. :wink:

Many congrats on those AMAZING finds!!! 8)

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Very nice finds Mike, if you´re not going back, maybe you´ll send me a Google Earth of it ? LOL
Happy hunting

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Mike - thats an amazing looking well - makes you wonder if there's a lost Roman gold cache down there doesn't it ;D ;D ;D - try sleeping now ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread