Branding Cement with no Silver???

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Today I went to what was a 100+ year old hotel sitting on 80 acres that I had been drooling over for weeks. I had visions of gold and silver coins, etc. etc. Turned out to be mosquito land (didn't think I'd need bug spray), so I had to stay near the old building / drive and search amongst the gazillions of rusty nails and iron debris. Spent 3 hours without much to show. The tube of branding cement had to be unrolled. Anybody know anything about it? It doesn't Google very well but says F-F (F bar F) BRAND-RITE SYSTEM distributed exclusively by Nebraska Salesbook of Lincoln, NE. Yes, has something to do with livestock branding. Dime is for reference. The other thingy is modern plastic with metal but don't know what it is either. The last piece is lead and appears to be a fired round that hit a tree, bone, etc... I know there is lots of goodies to be found there, but not today. >:(

Attachments

• IMG_2758-2.JPG
    IMG_2758-2.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea but cool find anyway!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
S

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Thanks guys! I should also mention that this is clayland. In the 1800's before this hotel was here, it was either for digging clay to make bricks, or diggin coal for the furnace! The place is on top of a hill by the river and it's the hardest ground I have ever dug. It seriously feels like you are cutting a plug from fired clay. Probably a good thing I didn't have more targets or I'd have blisters. I cant wait to hit the lower grounds where the old paths lead from the hotel to normal soil. :) Maybe someday with bugspray!

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing on the right looks like an old Can Key,..............Thingy on the left looks like the window washer nozzle off the hood of a car or truck..........Keep at it...........And ......Ya hear that beep ?................YOU MIGHT NEED A JACKHAMMER>>>>>L.O.L.
Happy Hunting !

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the SPRAY! ;) It's very hard to enjoy MDing when you spend a lot of your time swatting! ;D The mosquitoes and the gnats are very bad here this year.....not to mention the snakes! :D

Nana ;)

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I'll take a stab at it.

Having been raised on a farm it looks like something to brand cattle with. I would guess that you apply the 'branding cement' to the animal and the hair is somehow permanently removed from that area leaving your brand.

We did not brand our cows; they either had a chain around their neck with a number or had an ear tag with the number.

L

lostlugnut

When I worked the stockyard (livestock auctions) The unloaders would use a very similar glue to put the temp brand numbers on the back sides of the cattle. The temp brand was a 4 inch oval piece of heavy paper with a number. the tally sheet would have the list of numbers of where the cow came from and where it was going. Hope it helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread