Found this today in an original bank wrapped roll, You tell me?

O

ozzysdad

Attachments

• 0601200544overdate.jpg
    0601200544overdate.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 529
  • 0601200544overdateGrayscale.jpg
    0601200544overdateGrayscale.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 527
Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would definately see what a coindealer thinks.nice find regardless.Looks like doubling to me.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!

What are you using to get that close up of a pic??

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
O

ozzysdad

I picked up a Digital Blue QX-5 Microscope from ToysRus, not very expensive, around 80.00, But it sure take's great pic's from 10x, 60x, 200x, These were shot at 60x and you can see the "Phantom" 3 below the last 4 in the date close to the rim. The trouble is getting it certified and slabbed. It's a MS-65 if not better. Then the major question is where to sell the friggin thing? and for how much?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were you, (seriously)

I'd send these coins you've been showing off here into ANACS for grading/slabbing along with pics
as you've shown here.

They specialize in "error coinage", and will grade the coins + pedigree them as to if they are VAM's or Breens or the like.

Possibly, you may have an "unknown" variety/error, and they will tell you if so,

they will also suggest a value on them.

Then,

sell them on ebay!

OP
OP
O

ozzysdad

Well, I sent 3 to PCGS i found in another OBW roll, They got good grades, and they wouldn't certify the error, and they were submitted thru the service as error's. I just got this roll this morning and found this one. PCGS only use's a 10x mag. for grading. I considered ANACS and sending them with complete pic's. I don't know if they would certify it or not......Seem's funny when you look thru the Cherrypicker's guide, They have the pic's and little arrow's pointing out stuff, Even i can't see and put a un-godly price on it. I can see this i just wonder if ANACS could? It would be a nice pop 1 coin tho.............

Attachments

• 0601200544overdateTrace.jpg
    0601200544overdateTrace.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 457

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see the "ghost image" of the 3 in the 1st color pic now (since you out-lined it in the last pic for me). Made it easy to pick it out!

I'm not sure if ANACS would see it or if they will lable it as such but,

I know they will list the doubling, and what # of Breens or Vam, etc. that it is (or of it's an unknown and they do see the 3) - maybe they will have to assign a new # and variety to the books- thanks to you!!

PCGS doesn't speciallize in error coinage like ANACS does,

I like PCGS slabbed Morgans myself because they're so tough on grades, but for errors, I buy ANACS,

I believe your chances are a LOT better going with ANACS to get it graded as the error it is.

Just my 3 cent nickels worth!

HH
and keep us posted,

Lonewolfe

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
I believe I read somewhere that for it to be graded as an error it must be visible through 10X. So if you can not see it through 10X according to them its not an error. I started getting into error coins about a year ago and so far from what I can tell with these coins is that if it is not visible through 10X chances are that there might be a slight premium but not a whole lot. Just my opinion on something new I am getting into. I think if the marks were more distinguished and you could tell something is there you would have no problem, but I myself really do not see a whole lot in the pictures. Just my own opinion. Good Luck!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
richg said:
I believe I read somewhere that for it to be graded as an error it must be visible through 10X. So if you can not see it through 10X according to them its not an error. I started getting into error coins about a year ago and so far from what I can tell with these coins is that if it is not visible through 10X chances are that there might be a slight premium but not a whole lot. Just my opinion on something new I am getting into. I think if the marks were more distinguished and you could tell something is there you would have no problem, but I myself really do not see a whole lot in the pictures. Just my own opinion. Good Luck!!

I agree with the "ghost image of the 3" probably not being seen or maybe not being acknowledged by any grading company (but) you can clearly see the 1st 4 is doubled, and it should be visable with a 5 to 10x from the looks of it.

Good luck with it no matter what you decide!

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread