rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I was happy to get battery money today!

Used my CS coil in the outfield of the baseball diamond,
and the little tiny 4" hockey puck in the trashy spectator area.

In the $2.50 worth of clad there were 6 nickels, so that's good,
but still not same as finding a ring!

Maybe tomorrow...

Out in the field I finally tried a Fiskars garden knife for cutting flaps in the deep grass.
That puppy is sharp!
Sliced my arm, leg, and my fat belly! ;D
I better make a sheath, quick!

HH
rmptr

Attachments

• 42708boquet 017cz.JPG
    42708boquet 017cz.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 708
Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Glad to see you got to get out and gather some battery money! Keep it up...surely the rings will come! David and I tried to find a Fiskars Garden Knife on Saturday and did not find any :( We gave up and bought a different garden knife and were not so happy with them. Dagnabbit...wish I could find one! Dun wanna cut my arm leg or fat belly but sure would like to be able to actually push the darn thing through the turf! lol

Brett2259

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
I too find coins in parks and trash. With my detector the nickle area also registers pull tabs and other trash...so I don't dig for those signals anymore. Could this prevent me from finding rings as I have tested my wedding band and it came up a nickle reading. But how I hate digging up trash on the nickle readings.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Your wedding band comes up a nickel....my gold toe rings come up a nickel.....yeah, I would guess we better dig nickel readings! :wink:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad you got out and cleaned up :)

HH
-GC

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
We will all have a great day detecting just as long as we don't go out and try to make our "gas money" back...... :tard:

Nice digs there........don't forget the first aid kit.......LOL

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

Brett2259

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Since I have only been detecting for about a month now and learning my metal detector I have been at parks and beaches since then. I find alot more at parks than on the beach(coins). Like I said before, I don't dig up nickle readings anymore because they end up being pull tabs or junk. I keep reading from the forums that one should dig up everything.

So my question is this: Am I missing out on potential jewelry(rings, earrings, etc) for not digging up these signals?

I might be spoiled because I go for the high beeps and get the copper coins, dimes and quarters.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I thought I'd better respond to the group quickly,
before I succeed at hara kiri...

OK Brett, you're a newbie?
YOU MUST DIG ALL POSITIVE REPEATABLE SIGNALS.
Even world renowned famous detectorists write page after page of how a $5k ring showed up on their thousand dollar detector as a pull tab or foil.
Sorry, that's the way it IS... if you hope to find gold jewelry

Dug, first aid kit with a sterile needle and thread may help! ;D

Cyn, I tried three different places and even bought an Ames 7 in 1 potting trowel which is bigger, clubbier, and has a thicker blade, (all of which I DON'T like), before I found the Fiskars at a True Value hardware store.

I'd like to have a Lesche like the best equipped MD guys, but Fiskars is only $8 plus tax.

Hopefully I'll have an interesting find to post, soon.

Oh, here's a shot, cleaning my pennies in the tumbler.

HH
rmptr

Attachments

• 41908flea 033z.JPG
    41908flea 033z.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 548

revdrlon

Apr 19, 2008
owensboro, ky
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land star
i got a fiskars garden knife and the first time i stuck it in the ground the hendle pulled off it when i tried to pull it back up, and it wasnt that sharp at all, i could rub the edge all over my hand somewhat hard and it wouldnt cut me. i took it back to wal-mart where i got it and got my money back because if it comes apart on the first hole then i dont even want to see what would happen after some actuall use. i really want the ames 7 in 1, i am prolly gonna pick it up fornext weekends hunt, i hear it is supposed to be quite a bit more sturdy than the fiskars.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Looks like it does a pretty good job of cleaning them up! I may have to save up for one and get it from Eathan!

Brett2259

Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Yes I am a newbie. I already stated that I have been detecting for about a month. I think that people should know the place where they are at. If it is pull tab city then that is what your going to get for the most part. Alas, but I concede. I will make a day just to dig up pull tabs and trash. At least it will be alot cleaner when I visit it in the future.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Well see there Brett,
Your Bruce Campbell avatar threw me!

I've found some areas have concentrations of pulltabs and foil.
What I do is kinda hedge in around the edges and work my way through it until I get burned out and then head off somewhere else for awhile. Or turn up the discrimination, or set the notch.
If I don't dig it today, I'll need to dig it tomorrow!

Unless someone else beats me to it!

A concentration of scrap may show heavy use and that is a place that will have a probability of a quality drop.
I will guarantee you, 80% of all rings found are in the foil/pulltab/nickel range on your MD.

And then there is silver... That shows up way high on the spread...
Wait a moment!
Have you seen this?

...Rev, sry to hear about your bad fortune with Fiskars!
I think I'd be upset...

Ames 7 in 1 is bigger, not near as sharp edged ;D,
is made of stainless, and has a massive bright blue handle protector plastic thing.
It costs about twice as much.
It might work just fine for you.
Sure hope so!

HH
rmptr

Attachments

• Descrimination_Chart-copy.jpg
    Descrimination_Chart-copy.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 384

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try thr blue handled bulb planter at Lowes by Ames $13 really good.

Ames.jpg

SKD

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
revdrlon said:
i got a fiskars garden knife and the first time i stuck it in the ground the hendle pulled off it when i tried to pull it back up, and it wasnt that sharp at all, i could rub the edge all over my hand somewhat hard and it wouldnt cut me. i took it back to wal-mart where i got it and got my money back because if it comes apart on the first hole then i dont even want to see what would happen after some actuall use. i really want the ames 7 in 1, i am prolly gonna pick it up fornext weekends hunt, i hear it is supposed to be quite a bit more sturdy than the fiskars.

It's a couple days later, now...

Rev, My fiskars handle is coming loose, as of today.
Maybe 5hrs of intermittent use.

rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread