Hoard Found With $30 Detector, ACE 250 n Silver Ring, Gold Ring from FL

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Hoard Found With $30 Detector, ACE 250 'n Silver Ring, Gold Ring from FL

Alright, this is going to be kind of a long post so grab your drinks and snack packs and hunker down for a tale of family treasure fever, family treasure, amazing finds and a great day!

Let me first back track a little bit and tell the tale of a recent trip to Florida.

My younger brother lives down in Florida, serving with the US Coast Guard. He and his wife and 3 month old son came up to Illinois to visit in March. My dad had just gotten his Bounty Hunter Lonestar and he hadn’t really taken it out yet for a real hunt. So protected with coats and hats, my brother, dad and I set out to a park where we got our first metal detecting experience. We didn’t know too much about the detectors controls or how to properly swing it… it was just in our hand and we were expected to find treasure! Well 2.5 hours later we were cold and hungry, but we had each collected over a dollar in clad. This was Awexome!

Side note: Pretty much every guy’s eyes light up when you mention the word HEIST, and TREASURE is even better because you actually have a chance to experience it.

So we were all hooked on this hobby instantly. The idea of TREASURE just under our feet that we walk over every day just waiting to be located and recovered was too rad to overlook. It had to be FOUND!

My brother and I started looking at metal detectors online and based on youtube videos (most notable were Crackbadger’s and khouse’s) and reviews, the Garrett ACE 250 was the machine to get. My brother didn’t have the money and my dad already wanted an upgrade, so we grabbed two ACE 250s and my dad sent his Bounty Hunter Lonestar to my brother in FL. My dad and I were finding clad like mad with the ACE 250s and my brother found a heavy 18k gold men’s wedding band a couple days after receiving the Lonestar.

His wife and 3 month old son came up to visit with her family for 2 weeks at the end of April and he thought my dad and I might be able to come down to FL for a 4 day metal detecting extravaganza. Once we found cheap airline tickets and got the appropriate permission from our wives, the deal was sealed and our eyes were seeing piles of rings and pieces of eight.

The first day in Florida we hit a beach and recreation area and found some clad, but not as much as we thought there would be. My dad thought he would have his detector paid for the first day… well, I guess modern clothes have better stitching, people are carrying less coinage, or perhaps MD’ing in Florida might be a popular thing… maybe. We saw one other person the whole trip that was metal detecting with an ACE 250 hitting a beach at low tide, and met another fellow that just bought an ACE 250. Popular detector I guess ;-) That evening we were in a bay and I was eager to get in the water and start finding stuff. I turned up quite a few coins and was getting the hang of keeping the sensitivity low (2 bars) and keeping the coil slow and low. I knew the water was the place to be, but the night fell and we couldn’t see for anything. We had to stop at Walgreens and pick up some cheap LED head lights for the next few nights or we would be shut down again.

The next day we went to a nice park that was turning up a lot of clad, but the ground was super hard. In the heat, hard ground will wear you out fast! This is when I got my Ames Planter Buddy tool. That baby is still rockin’. We rested and drove out to the Keys where the sand is like dust and white as flour… well, sort of. Let me just say that the beaches we were on were super clean! I was grid searching around areas that looked like they had high traffic and could barely find any foil or pop tabs (hmm, maybe Crackbadger had been through there). Night fell and we were prepared this time with the appropriate head gear, those things rule! The breeze on the beach was perfect for detecting and the ocean surf made the scene so peaceful. Because of the far and few targets, I would turn my light off and just walk in the dark and stare up at the stars which were brilliantly lit, turning on my light whenever the detector moaned or screamed for joy. I realized later that it really is better to keep the light on and keep your head down just in case there’s something non-metal lying on top or signs of human life can direct you on a slightly different course. At around midnight, I decided I would get my feet wet and see what I could find in foot and a half of water in the ocean. This was pretty scary because if you look out into the ocean it’s pitch black, and then you look around the beach and your detecting buddies are a half mile down the beach… hardly reassuring. I got one and only one signal in 30 foot path I had walked. I had to time my retrieval with the waves that were coming in because I didn’t have waterproof headphones on and the waves were rising almost all of the way up to my control box. That and I didn’t want a face full of salt water. I managed to get the target on my second scoop, which turned out to be a 1961D penny in really nice shape. I was pretty stoked about it being the first ocean find I had made. One penny was enough… I didn’t want to be sucked out to sea on a stingray carpet ride. We regrouped and started heading out of the beach as I found a ring box on a bench. It was empty, but I thought it was a good omen. By the time we got back into town, it was 1:15am or so. I really wasn’t tired and wanted to jump in the bayside water again after some coffee and a bite to eat. After not finding much on the beach, I thought the water would separate the hardcore MD’ists from the part time retired hobby MD’ists. Everyone was reluctant to keep going through the night, but I reminded them this is what we were here for. Hunt it like you lost it! This was our full time job for 4 days… let’s do this thing!

At 2am we pulled in at the bayside beach and unloaded our gear. The wind had picked up and it was cold enough to put on sweatshirts. The cold wind was really weighing in on our decision to enter the water. We were all messing around a little bit on the beach, and my brother said, “I thought you wanted to go in the water”. I was like, “um… ok”. I tiptoe in and DAMN it was cold right by the shore, but the deeper you got the warmer it was. I was searching for about 30 mins. In front of this huge tree that I figured would bring people out partying and playing in the water. All I had to show for it was a bunch of pop tabs and maybe a penny at this point. Then I got another potential pop tab. My detector was sounding a solid nickel and I thought maybe for once this would be an actual cold hard nickel. Not even a 35% silver nickel… I’d take a crusty old sea worn broken in half 2008 nickel over a pop tab any day. I scooped the location and sure enough I had the target. I sifted out all of the silicon bits and crushed shells and peeked inside with my head light, gave it a shake and low and behold sweet sweet GOLD was shining through like a little sun was rising in my scoop. I knew right away what it was and exclaimed, “NO FU%#ING WAY!”. My brother was within an ear shot and dropped his gear bolting into the water. It was a 14K gold men’s wedding band, later weighed in at 4.0 grams. My brother was very happy for me and immediately started searching the water with me. We both could not believe what had just happened… it was very weird to keep searching for the next 5 to 10 minutes after that and continuing to pull up pop tabs and bottle tops. My dad was way down the beach so we decided to just surprise him later when we compared the clad at the end of the location hunt. I ended up having the least clad, but logically claimed, “well I guess I win then”. My dad was not seeing my logic, so then I showed him the ring box again that I found and said, “well we have to add this to my 37 cents.” He was doubtful mouthing off some sarcastic remarks but opened it to find my ring already bagged and tagged. He was dumbfounded by the find, and was searchin’ hard for gold thereafter on our trip.

This is not the ring box I found, I had to throw it away after I smelled it… uhg…

gold1.jpg

gold2.jpg

The rest of the trip was gold fever’d but we only pushed ourselves harder and found only more clad. Finding that ring did get everyone in the water though!

I can’t wait to go back and hit those beaches. Those of you who live on the beaches are very very lucky!

Back to present day. My 2 and a half year old son has really picked up on my relentless desire to hunt for treasure. He pretends that his arm and hand is a metal detector and that pretty much everything that’s his is treasure. I’ve been eyeing one of those $30 metal detectors from Harbor Freight for him, so I decided to stop on Friday and pick one up. It was really simple to figure out after having used a metal detector now, and briefly reading what the analog meter means when it swings left or right. Because it is a motionless detector, my son is able to operate it quite effectively.

We packed up the car this morning to go to the park with my son’s new metal detector, but stopped at my dad’s house to drop some stuff off and see if he and my 8 year old sister wanted to come along. They were ready to come with, but before we departed I thought we’d check out the new detector in my dad’s front yard. My sister threw two pennies out in the yard for me to find, but I had a solid signal right away that was not one of the pennies. My dad hands me a weeder and I popped up a dime like magic. All I could think was “wow, this detector is freaking cool for $30”. What a great present for a young adventurous boy or girl. My dad told me to check down by the sidewalk where he had found a few pennies. I walked down there and some coins were lying right on top of the ground but were very dirty. I just started picking them up, no sense in sweeping for those. I scanned the area and got a strong signal where there wasn’t anything lying on top. I used the weeder again and popped up several coins with the first plunge. My son and sister were helping to pick them up. I rescanned and the signal was just as strong as before… how many more coins could there be here? I popped up a few more, and a few more… and more and more. Rescanning showed I wasn’t done yet. We had found a hoard! A pirate’s booty, and it was right in my dad’s front yard. Now my son was grabbing for the detector and wanted to give it a go. This is one kid I don’t mind handing over a detector to, and it just so happens to be his! He was scanning and pointing for us to “dig! …I found treasure”, he said. We were there for about 5 minutes before my sister remembered that she and her cousin buried the coins we were digging up when she was 5 years old, which would have been in 2004. There were so many coins I could not hold all of them any more. At this point I went to my trunk and got a small trowel, my pinpointer and a pouch to put all of the coins in! My dad was telling our story to his neighbor that was looking on. The neighbor just didn’t realize why we were going nuts over a bunch of dirty pennies, dimes and nickels in the ground. My dad was telling us to cover it back up because he didn’t want his lawn tore up, but I kindly pointed to all of the bare spots and suggested using a better seed next time. The neighbor was laughing. There were so many coins that it was taking quite a while to retrieve them all, and we did really want to go to the park. So when the $30 detector and my pinpointer said there were none left we covered up the hole. Looking at the foot diameter dirty area I exclaimed, “there, that’s just how I found it”. I could not stop laughing at myself after I looked up to see my dad’s expression. We’ll have to go back over it with the ACE 250 before the grass gets replanted. Either way, it’s a hell of a hoard for anyone to find. And it just happens to be a Family Hoard! I agreed to split it with the land owner, LOL, but my sister wanted to keep it all. I guess it really is hers. I’m just hoping she let’s me keep the euro 2 cent piece that dates the hoard no later than 2004.

hoard1.jpg

hoard2.jpg

In the end there were 103 coins in the hole totaling $3.94 plus the worth of the 2 cent euro. Make that 104 coins totaling $3.95! I just found a lost cent under the towel in my bathroom that I used to dry off the coins.

We got to the old school and park eventually and my son wanted to play on the playground rather than MD. And why would he after helping his dad dig up a hoard for over 20 minutes? We had a good time on the jungle gym stuff and the swings, all the while my dad was all over the place with his ACE 250 finding treasure. That’s ok, I was waiting patiently to get my turn in. My son eventually got his fill of the playground and was playing in the field picking dandelions for my sister, so I grabbed the $30 detector and fully extended the shaft on it for my 6’ plus lengthy body. Right away I got 3 signals in a row that were indicating ferrous (iron) and I ended up digging them just to see if the detector was working. Sure enough I was pulling up one rusty bent piece of fencing after another. They were pretty sharp so I just kept digging them building up my Karma points. The last signal I dug in that area by the baby swings was a cool blinky LED thing. The battery was toast, so I tried powering it up at home with my benchtop power supply and apparently 5V was too much for it… it lit up and smoked almost instantly. Ooops, no more blinky thing. You would think being an electronic engineer, I would not damage electronics like that. Well you’d be wrong because sometimes we engineers just hook S#%$ up like the next guy. Anyhoo… so we head towards my dad and sister on by the volleyball courts. My dad is going through the courts like he’s driving a dune buggy… “I’m like slow down, maybe you’ll actually find something.” He gives me some reply about the detector emitting enough of a sideways signal from the coil that it can detect coins inches away as he speeds past like there are little rodeo clowns roping in the loot from the edge of the O.K. Corral, magically. My sister proceeds to take the yellow dandelions my son gave to her and wipe them on her arm, turning it yellow. I guess I remember doing this at some point and it having some significance. At the time I was thinking… “aww, now why did you have to go and show my son that.” That’s kids for ya, gotta love em. So I start tearing up the courts with the $30 detector and the small coil is hitting all of the footprint impressions like they are huge swells in the ocean and the coil is a little sailboat just trying to stay afloat. You have to ride the surface with the cheap detector because apparently the saying is true, the more you pay the deeper you go. A nickel air tested was about 2+ inches away from the coil, not bad I think. So I found a non-ferrous signal and called my son over to dig it. He was only a little excited to see a penny, but hey… the hoard was still trumping it. He was pretty much done detecting and digging for the day so I decided to give my dad a little competition in his unchallenged world, and went and grabbed my ACE 250 out of the trunk. I started going up the length of grass parallel to the volleyball court, and as usual here comes my dad from nowhere swooping in on the “path” I’m heading down. He was coming at me from the opposite end. He dug a dime or penny or something on the opposite end of the court, did some more scanning and left for another area. I just kept inching forward overlapping my swings and hugging the grass with my coil. I had the sensitivity set to 3 because I really just didn’t feel like having any false signals or digging very deep. A couple-few inches was fine by me. Eventually I got to the end where my dad had dug his last hole and I had another dime signal, very strong pinpoint sounding like a coin in size. I pinpointed it with my probe as usual so as not to scratch it, to verify the ACE pinpoint was spot on as usual and to make sure my hole was nothing more than just a small tuft of turf that got flipped up. Well this was pretty much the only hole that I was off to the left too much. I popped the 1" flap and there was nothing there… scanned the hole with the pinpointer and found I needed to move over an inch to the right. This time when I popped it up, the probe said it was in the clump I popped up. I broke off some of the sandy dirt at the bottom of the small clump and plain as day there was a thick silver men’s ring still trapped in the clump that remained. I immediately got this huge grin and stood up, walked straight to my car and got my iPhone so that I could come back and take a picture. On the way back I passed my dad who was underway digging a target. I said, “you might wanna stop doing that and come over here and check this out”. He replied, “But I’ve got a penny here!” To which I replied, “Leave it, there’s a pretty good reason why I had to go back to my car to get my iPhone to take a picture.” I harvested the ring, not wiping it off for fear of scratching it and let everyone have a turn holding it gently. My dad was going on about how he was right there and didn’t dig that signal because he thought it was a pop can. I was like, “It was clearly a dime signal for me”. He had his sensitivity MAXED out though so it was throwing off the detector big time for surface stuff. He was looking for those really deep silver targets, little did he know that they might only be 2” down. My sister was really itching to use the metal detector after seeing that ring in the ground and then holding it in her hand. We put our detectors by the holes we dug so that I could take a picture to show just how close our holes were. I guess it literally pays to dig all signals.

silver0.jpg

silver1.jpg

silver2.jpg

After I cleaned the ring I realized that the thinner outer part of the ring is loose and spins around the center part. What a wicked cool ring!

silver_lesson.jpg

All in all this was a GREAT day! Nothing puts a smile on your face more than the family coming together for a beautiful day at the park, playing and having a blast digging up treasure!

If you’ve made it this far, please give yourself a pat on the back AND a high five. It’s taken me about 5 hours to type this up, taking breaks here and there, not to mention getting everything washed and taken pictures of, and it's not even Saturday anymore. Please take your empty drink containers and snack pack wrappers to the nearest recycling bin and smile if you've enjoyed your time reading and looking.

HH
RootMaster

Upvote 0

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: Hoard Found With $30 Detector, ACE 250 'n Silver Ring, Gold Ring from FL

Great story!
Nice haul too!
I like the silver ring holder; what sound did it make? :icon_jokercolor:

GRB

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

Well told and great finds!! I don't seem to do well in salt water with my ACE. Where did you have the sensitivity set?

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Wowzers... what a great story man!! Love the rings... still waiting for my first...

Right now its Sun morning 08:15 and I'm inside watching the rain fall holding my MD like it is my last date ,,,

I'm hooked! :tongue3:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Nice story. I love hunting with my kids. They sure put a huge smile on your face when they find silver. HH jgas

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent story! It is nice to have family members interested in detecting. I really like the gold ring, very nice find!

Steve

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Hiya Son,

Hey, nice story and pics. Just so you know I cried myself to sleep last night, knowing that I scanned that puppy and walked away from it. Well, I guess even if I would have dug it, you would have ended up with it anyway someday...guess you've learned what I aways taught you to "cut out the middleman" ha ha

Dad

fllawboy

Feb 19, 2008
Weston, Florida
Detector(s) used
White MXT/Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I cannot believe I read the whole thing!!! It was worth it! Great Story, you have motivated me to go out detecting again today, not that I really needed much motivation, but the story did it! Can't wait for the next installment.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that was one fantastic well written, keeps ya on the edge of your seat hunting story, that was just fantastic and I look foward to reading more..

thanks for taking the time to write up such a great family tale..

HH
Booty

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used

Thank you all for the kind words! I'm glad everyone enjoyed the story. I'll keep at this... I'm so addicted now.

GoldenRoyBoy said:
I like the silver ring holder; what sound did it make? :icon_jokercolor:
It was something like "ooOooOooOooOooOooO", or maybe "oooOooOoooOooOoooOooOooo". I'd be more descriptive but I've only got ASCII characters to work with here. I know you can recreate the Mona Lisa in ASCII, but I'm just not that good. Those speakers in the background were ones I havested or purchased for my pinpoint probe.

cntrydncr1 said:
I don't seem to do well in salt water with my ACE. Where did you have the sensitivity set?
In the gulf side of Florida in the bays, it seemed like a sensitivity of 3 was a little too much because it would give false beeps if you didn't drag the coil across the bottom. With a setting of 2 you could hover just over the bottom and still get good depth (a couple inches) for small items. I think it would really help to have one of those EZ-Hand-L's aka Swing-EZ's http://ezdigr.com/indexD.html in the water to help speed up the hunt a little. I like to overlap my passes good and when I do this in the water it just takes forever, but that's how I got the gold ring... patience. I was using a homemade sand scoop with a homemade retractable cord on it so I did have a free hand. Some people go with the long stainless scoops... which would be really good, but then you'd have no way to hold it with the Swing-EZ.

CanadianTrout said:
Right now its Sun morning 08:15 and I'm inside watching the rain fall holding my MD like it is my last date ,,,
Aww man, sorry to hear that. Do you have the rain shield? I don't know if I would go out MD'ing in the rain but I have the shield in case I get caught in the rain. It also keeps the control panel clean, but there is a nice glare on the plastic which makes reading the screen harder if the sun is behind you. As much as the mud is too messy for me to dig in, I can't help but think that's the best way to get those holes watered. Maybe a good few hours right before a rain storm would be good?

litefire56 said:
Hiya Son,

Hey, nice story and pics. Just so you know I cried myself to sleep last night, knowing that I scanned that puppy and walked away from it. Well, I guess even if I would have dug it, you would have ended up with it anyway someday...guess you've learned what I aways taught you to "cut out the middleman" ha ha

Dad
Thanks, all of treasure in the world can't replace you Dad, although you do have a lot of nice treasure I've had my eye on for the last 31 years :icon_pirat: :clock:

:sign10: JUST KIDDIN'

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That was indeed interesting thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Brett

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used

Make that 104 coins totaling $3.95, plus the 2 cent euro for the hoard. I just found a lost cent under the towel in my bathroom that I used to dry off the coins. Time for some :coffee2: It's looking like a nice MD day out there :icon_king:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great story RM..your personality and enthusiasm for this hobby clearly shines through in your narrative. Make sure you save a copy of your story..maybe you can write a book about your treasure hunting adventures, it was a good read!

Congrats on the finds also, especially the rings!

Nat

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

Awesome story, remember to keep the Ace 250's at least 20 feet apart while turned on at all times (suggested 30 feet) because they will go off on each other.
What part of florida? I was born and lived there for 15 years.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Good Lord man. That post sould have been split up into chapters 1-10!

It's good to hear of people who are really happy doing this. You remind me of when I first started, even though to this day I still get excited when I dig up something cool.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

twistidd said:
Good Lord man. That post sould have been split up into chapters 1-10!

It's good to hear of people who are really happy doing this. You remind me of when I first started, even though to this day I still get excited when I dig up something cool.

Keep up the good work.

Joe

Hi Joe,
Is there any permitting required to MD in Chicago Park Districts? I emailed 'em, but haven't heard back.
I was born and raised there for 14 yrs. and would like to go back to some of my favorite haunts.
John

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado

Question; about that probe in the picture.
Or, at least I think it's a probe. Is it home made or what?
It looks pretty mean. :)

GRB

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250

Sweet rings; great story. Sounds like you and the family will have many more adventures together! Congrats on the finds and the great family.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry I can't read that much right now, but nice pictures!

Seems like a great day.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread