Clearwater Adventure or Beach Cache?

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I got up this morning, grabbed my MD stuff and stepped out into the pouring rain! As I steered my athsmatic pick-up truck toward Clearwater I was thinking "look at this rain! I must be nuts! I'll be the only one out there!" WRONG! After getting halfway across the Courtney Campbell Causeway, I discovered someone had rudely parked their car upside down in the roadway and the police were tuning everyone back to Tampa! Well after a one and a half hour detour(I got lost!), I finally arrived at Clearwater! I parked (another adventure itself!) and I reach into my glove box For some fresh batteries...no batteries so I thought I would just go anyway batteries seemed fresh..Wrong! I went off for more batteries, paid parking again, and hit the beach! My whites beach hunter was still acting weird, but I did the best I could under the circumstances and hunted at absotute min sensitivity to calm down the constant chatter. there were more folks out there with detectors than folks without and the beach was crowded! Luckey for me almost all of them were too smart to brave the surf, but not me! ::) I hunted down the surf line around the first drop cut. I found a strange earring, two ohio quarters a louisianna purchase nickel a clad nickel clad dime corroded penny AND 12 SUSAN B. ANTHONY DOLLARS!!!!!!!!! The dollars were all in the cut and in an area about ten feet long! I was bringing them up 2 and 3 at the scoop! I have never seen anything like it! Any theories? After that the sun came out and I had to flee to protect my head from over toasting! Good Hunting! omnicognic 8)

Attachments

• finds611.jpg
    finds611.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 609
Upvote 0

bullFL

Mar 2, 2005
Clearwater Beach Area FL
;D

To heck with the rain /tides /waves. If you don't work on recovering lost objects, coins, jewelry, treasure, with good practiced techniques of proper coil sweep, speed, hight, and a good pattern. Your returns will be considered luck, lucky to be over the target, lucky to find the target, much less recover it. I can imagine with all you had to go through to recover those coins, it wasn't just luck. I also guess that you probably recovered more that 10 other guys with detectors going warp factor 6.
Bull

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005
Wow thats a crazy COOL story! Just goes to prove once again , ya never know what your gonna get!!! Awesome find, good luck on your next hunt....just incase you used it up the last time he he.

OP
OP
omnicognic

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
bullFL said:
;D

To heck with the rain /tides /waves. If you don't work on recovering lost objects, coins, jewelry, treasure, with good practiced techniques of proper coil sweep, speed, hight, and a good pattern. Your returns will be considered luck, lucky to be over the target, lucky to find the target, much less recover it. I can imagine with all you had to go through to recover those coins, it wasn't just luck. I also guess that you probably recovered more that 10 other guys with detectors going warp factor 6.
Bull

I'll tell you what, THAT day I did work for it! My detector was fritzing badly something was seriously wrong with it and I had to hunt in all metal with the sensitivity turned all the way down. I took it to my dealer monday and it worked perfectly! "Is it possible it was operator error?" he asked! I felt like an idiot! ??? I still wonder what I would have found if it had been working properly! I had a great time and found some really neat stuff nontheless and I wouldn't change a thing! :D

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
the frizing could have been dampness in the conections...have you tried saran wrapping the head and double bagging it in the rain? as for the coins what a great find you found some sort of cache or drop... wonder why someone had susie b's right at the water? do they throw em out for kids to find at b day parties in fla? I could see chucking em in a pool but the sandy bottom of the ocean? I would go back to same approz area and rehunt even dig out with a shovel 1st make your own cut, bet there are a few more

HH sounds like a good day Vrent

R

rvbvetter

WOW! Nice haul!! Looks like you found half of the ones still in circulation.
Was this right after a storm? Wonder if there was an electrical charge in the air. WTG!! HH

OP
OP
omnicognic

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
cableman79 said:
Ok, so you saw me cuttin' hay! Now will you please tell me the proper technique?

Well personally, I like to use a nice even swing, coil as close to the ground as possible(to get maximum depth) and overlap about half a coil width for each swing. (for complete coverage)
The most common mistake I have seen (and did when I started) is to raise the coil up at the end of the swing like someone swinging a scythe! (hence the "cutting hay" reference) ;)

Vrent said:
the frizing could have been dampness in the connections...have you tried saran wrapping the head and double bagging it in the rain??

I use a Whites Beach Hunter and so far it's waterproof and has never gotten any water in it. It was acting like I had the sensitivity turned all the way up. (chattering and giving random hits even when held up in the air) Personally I think the pot for the sensitivity adjustment is going bad, but it worked just fine at the dealer. Salt water which gives many other detectors fits usually doesn't cause any trouble for this machine. After I almost clubbed the dealer for suggesting it was "operator error" he said perhaps it was some kind of EM interference perhaps from the pier or the hotels' satellite dishes.
Seems to be just fine now, and I can't wait to get back to the beach! HH omnicognic 8)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Wow!!! Another great example of how persitance pays off... WTG!
I would have to guess that the coins were part of a roll, there should be more there somewhere...
That is one funny looking earring. When I first looked at it I though it was the twisted hands off of a fancy clock,,, lol
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
omnicognic

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
That is one funny looking earring. When I first looked at it I though it was the twisted hands off of a fancy clock,,, lol
It is a strange earring, it's made of gold looking chains attached to the post, it has the back on it and there are chains attached to it too! Since it had the back on it, I hunted the area carefully to see if I could find the other one but no luck! 8)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey Omni! Just think of the strange ear that it was attached to. Maybe you don't really want to find the other one.

Have you visited your Aunt lately? You need to butter her up & convince her that to avoid family turmoil over those old relics, she should just make me a good deal & I will be more than happy to give them a new & loving home for the rest of their life.

You had a really good beach hunt there. Congrats on the finds, but you really need to put your hat back on. Your shaved head about blows out my screen.

Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread