🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reconstructed 160 year old crock $$$ SOLD! $$$ UPDATED Dec. '08

Hello All,

I usually don't worry about broken stoneware or glass. To me, unless it's whole, it merely indicates that I'm close to the right spot for the real detecting to begin.

Last week when I was out with Rodeo and Bonzaibrandi, we found a few trash pits in the woods. There were some marked stoneware crocks there--all broken. Rodeo got a nice pottery spittoon too--most of it was whole. Anyhow, I collected all of the pieces to a few of these (they weigh a TON!), and decided I would cart the pieces home to try and reconstruct them for fun. After some research, and asking help from a few glass/pottery gurus, I began the reconstruction. This one was my first--and I believe it turned out quite well.

The crock is marked "J.H. Miller" "Brandenburg, KY"

This is a pretty rare stoneware storage jug made by James Miller, originally a potter in Strasburg, in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He was born in 1814 and moved to Harrison County, Indiana in about 1837, after potting in Strasburg from about 1833-37. After moving to Indiana, he established his pottery just across the Ohio River in Brandenburg, Kentucky, where he operated from c1840-1884.

Pottery 001.jpg

It's pretty fun to put all of the puzzle pieces together--and it is a very slow process to give the glue time to cure overnight after each piece. I also had to assemble it in advance without the glue, and make certain that I wasn't painting myself into a corner on being able to fit the last piece in. Then plan which piece to attach when in sequence so that they all fit.

I have a few more that I'll post in the future once they are glued together. One is a large butter churn, and it'll take Quite a while.

I wanted to post this in "Today's Finds" rather than "Bottles and Glass" so that it would be seen. I'm actually pretty proud of the way it turned out. If this topic is in danger of getting moved, I can also post a photo of a suspender clip, harmonica reeds, and a few other bits we found that day. :P

Treasure takes many forms.

Regards,

Buckleboy

UPDATE #1: I wrote to the auction house to inquire about the value of my reconstructed crock, and received this e-mail in reply:

Thank you for your e-mail. Your Miller crock is a very nice piece
except for its condition. We would still expect it to bring in the $500 to
$800 range. If you would like to consign it, please let us know and we would
be happy to include it in our November auction.

Best Regards,
Tony Zipp

That two dollar bottle of Elmer's Glue was well worth it. :wink: As was hauling all of the heavy pieces out through the woods. I'm still pretty amazed that this value is what it is--and can only think of what it'd be worth if unbroken... :o

Worth MUCH more than any coin I've ever found.
(I'm hooked on glass and stoneware now. :wink: )

UPDATE #2: The crock sold for an amount within the price range indicated above. :thumbsup: So I reinvested a bit of it back in the hobby with a 12 x 10 searchcoil for the uMax. ;D
I know that there were some folks that didn't feel that a "broken crock" belonged on the banner--but I was quite happy as I drove by the bank today. :wink:

Best Wishes and Happy Hunting,

Buckles

Upvote 12

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 100 year old crock

That's a great find! . . . and to get all of it put back together again, even better! :thumbsup:

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really nice job. Beautiful Cobalt markings there. That was well worth the effort.

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

James Miller pieces are very collectable and demand high prices among collectors. Probably and 1850s piece ? You have done a remarkable job and a good deed in saving a piece of American pottery. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Please save all you can :) and yes it would still fetch a savory sum of money as is :) Should be banner worthy :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CarolinaDigs said:
James Miller pieces are very collectable and demand high prices among collectors. Probably and 1850s piece ? You have done a remarkable job and a good deed in saving a piece of American pottery.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Please save all you can  :) and yes it would still fetch a savory sum of money as is  :) Should be banner worthy  :thumbsup:

I'm amazed that even in its reconstructed condition it could demand a good price.   :)  I would imagine that the piece is roughly CW era, or a little later.  Any ideas on the jug's value?

Thank you SO much for your comments.

-Buckleboy

UPDATE:  You're right CDigs!  I just saw this at the website for Crocker Farm Stoneware Auction House:

Exhaustive research conducted by us on James Miller, potter of Alexandria, Virginia, took the surviving examples of his work out of obscurity, increasing the value of these vessels by thousands and thousands of dollars. These are just a few of the important contributions we have made to the field of American utilitarian ceramics. Articles published by us include:

"James Miller: Lost Potter of Alexandria, Virginia"
by Brandt Zipp and Mark Zipp, Available in Ceramics in America 2004

And there is a photograph of a very plain crock on their website--slightly larger than mine--bearing only the number "3" and Miller's name in cobalt, followed by this description:

Without our research, this stoneware jar signed "J. MILLER / ALEX." would have brought a few hundred dollars at auction. We identified it as the work of obscure Alexandria, Virginia, potter James Miller. It realized $9,075 in our July 2004 sale.

http://www.crockerfarm.com/contact.html

The one at the link above is an earlier piece done while Miller was still in Alexandria, but there is another piece of Miller's on that website--done in Brandenburg KY for a store in New Albany that fetched several thousand dollars as well.

I'm pretty speechless.  And I'm all ears to to any ideas about the value of the crock.  It is complete, yet reconstructed, with one small chip missing in the rim on the side (about a two-inch long chip in the glaze).

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven & Spartan shovels, Grey Ghost headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Reconstructed 120-160 year old crock

Will,
Absolutely amazing! :thumbsup: That is such a cool piece. You must have a LOT of patience. :wink:
-MM-

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is a better shot of the front of the crock (is this a better BANNER photo? 8) ):

Pottery 003.jpg

And a photo of the missing chip in the rim:

Pottery 004.jpg

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I can see how you can paint yourself into a corner BB on something like that,it take's a little thought before you dedicate yourself!Nice Job :thumbsup:

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is a beautiful piece and a very good thing you did to save it. Very nice!!!!!

DANGLANGLEY

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

BB just came back in to the house after posting >>> I just read your new post ;D Yes I knew that the piece with just his name and location was very collectible. Here you have constructed what appears to look to me > not in bad shape !! I know from my little experience with pottery ::) that collectors will pay high prices for items such as yours and have them restored. I am delighted with your good news > as I quoted before > this rare find is banner worthy. Don't let this go cheap BB ;D if you choose to sell. You my dear Treasure Hunter have found a real treasure. Blessings and restore some more :thumbsup:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CarolinaDigs said:
BB just came back in to the house after posting >>> I just read your new post  ;D Yes I  knew that the piece with just his name and location was very collectible. Here you have constructed what appears to look to me > not in bad shape !!  I know from my little experience with pottery  ::) that collectors will pay high prices for items such as yours and have them restored. I am delighted with your good news > as I quoted before > this rare find is banner worthy. Don't let this go cheap BB  ;D if you choose to sell. You my dear Treasure Hunter have found a real treasure. Blessings and restore some more  :thumbsup:

Thanks again, CDigs!  I may contact the auction site at the link in my reply above and see if they'll answer a few questions I have.

Regards,

Buckles

dieharddigger

Dec 1, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/E-Trac

BB,
That is nice,in all my years of bottle digging I have only dug one intact blue glazed crock!
Hats off to you for your patience and persistence!

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Yes BB that is a very good idea. They can give you the best idea of it's value. It is valuable so do not act fast or hasty. I am so very happy for you :)
BuckleBoy said:
CarolinaDigs said:
BB just came back in to the house after posting >>> I just read your new post ;D Yes I knew that the piece with just his name and location was very collectible. Here you have constructed what appears to look to me > not in bad shape !! I know from my little experience with pottery ::) that collectors will pay high prices for items such as yours and have them restored. I am delighted with your good news > as I quoted before > this rare find is banner worthy. Don't let this go cheap BB ;D if you choose to sell. You my dear Treasure Hunter have found a real treasure. Blessings and restore some more :thumbsup:

Thanks again, CDigs! I may contact the auction site at the link in my reply above and see if they'll answer a few questions I have.

Regards,

Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CarolinaDigs said:
Yes BB that is a very good idea. They can give you the best idea of it's value. It is valuable so do not act fast or hasty. I am so very happy for you :)
BuckleBoy said:
CarolinaDigs said:

Thanks again, CDigs! I may contact the auction site at the link in my reply above and see if they'll answer a few questions I have.

Regards,

Buckles

I just sent them an e-mail with attached photos of the piece, and a description of the reconstruction process. We'll see how it turns out. I'm quite happy that all the pieces were there in the first place. That Seldom happens.

-Buckles

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Buck, well, if it ain't a "Today's Finds" artifact-like post, it should be moved to the appropriate location. :D I am just kidding, Buck. :thumbsup:

You did a great job of preserving the historical crockpot. :thumbsup:

Kyle a.k.a. Lemony Snicket :D

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice flower pot. (or whatever you want it to be) You couldn't find one that nice

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crazyjarhead said:
Nice flower pot. (or whatever you want it to be) You couldn't find one that nice

Oh trust me, if it turns out to be worth $1,000 it will NOT be a flower pot! (Besides--the glue I used is water-soluble.) :wink:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Cool! You might end up being glad you used Elmer's instead of epoxy, etc. on the restore. Those are hard to find around here.
Newt

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How many pieces was it to start out with? Was it all in the same pile or were the pieces separated across the site? I know I could call and ask but I thought just maybe some other members would like to know.

KFB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions