Yellow Pterodactyl vs Soldiers at the Penny Farm, over Italian Silver

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Good Lord! The Madness! The MAYHEM! Who would have guessed that things would ever get so..so.. "Ugly" at an otherwise ordinary ball park? The day started off a bit gloomy, to be sure, but that was due to the overcast and lingering storm front from the previous night. The same front was promising yet even more inclement weather for later in the day when the heat and humidity created enough surplus energy to set off some more thunderstorms and rain. Ugh.. and it was STICKY! When you stand in the shade, with a light breeze..well.. a "wet" breeze blowing to the sound of the latest 17 year brood of Cicadas buzzing... and sweat just drips off of you.. that's "STICKY". And that was in the morning! I thought I'd get an early start on the one day I was able to actually get out and detect a little today, to avoid the "heat of the day". Yeah.. right!
Anyway, I made my way to a moderately large little league ball park to try my luck this morning. Little did I know that there had been some recent construction at this particular park. Construction in the manner of redesigning and rebuilding the concession stand/bathroom building... along with re-landscaping the turf approaches to said building. *sigh* Normally I don't mind something like that, but this was still rather fresh, as the plastic netting over the straw covering (or trying to) the bare, wet, muddy, gravel choked soil. They didn't actually rip up all the sod and soil around the building when they did the remodeling though, just most of it. But I still had the grass strips between the various fields and bleachers to detect, and all the shade trees lining the long sidewalk leading to the parking lot. SO. I detected.
I found coins right off the bat.. no pun intended. <rolling eyes> Pennies mostly. Lots and LOTS of pennies today. Some pennies on top of the ground, some just on top of the grass roots down amongst the blades, and quite a few UNDER the roots.. down in the dirt. Of course there was the usual mix of other metallic confetti, you know the culprits, pull tabs, bottle caps, can slaw, nails, screws, nuts and bolts, springs, scrap tin or whatever. Along with, of course, bits and pieces of toys... like rather large "hoods" from a car or truck ?? Tractors EVEN!

6-4-08 002deer.jpg

Yeah. The Tractor, along with all the pennies.. I was beginning to think this was more of a "Farm" league park. <grin> Ok ok ok.. that pun WAS intended. Still though, the Tractor? the Pennies growing out of every other hole I dug? That's not to say that I didn't find any other coins. I *DiD*. Lots of Dimes to go along with the pennies, quite a few Quarters.. Nickles?.. Not so much. I found one Presidential coin this trip out. A George Washington, Presidential Dollar coin. Pictured here with the Only two agrarian pennies I found today (Wheaties).

6-4-08 004G&WheatsFace.jpg : 6-4-08 005G&WheatsBack.jpg

Oh Yeah! I found LOTS of coins today. $12.23 in coins (not counting the wheaties). Along with the tractor.. never did find the actual "farmer" though. Perhaps I found one little piece of the guy, can't be certain however. Afterall, all I found was his boot. Perhaps it was all that remained of him after the attack of the yellow Pterodactyl ?? That would also explain why someone had to call out the National Guard or the Army.. Someone had to take care of the pesky flying alligator.

toys.jpg

I found another tiny little lock today too.. the sort that you might see on a girl's diary or some such.

6-4-08 006lock.jpg

On an international note, there was a discovery of this little trinket, a silver earring.. from Italy no less! It says so right on the stem.. stamped along with 925 (that *is* Silver isn't it?) <grin> I LOVE this camera my wife gave me last summer. I couldn't even read the small lettering on the stamp mark on this piece with my naked eye, but after the macro photo and viewing it on the computer it's clear as day. You can even see the 925 stamped on the "clip" portion of the earring stem as well. COOL!

6-4-08 007Earring1.jpg : 6-4-08 011Earring2.jpg : 6-4-08 012EarringStamp.jpg

I found one other piece of bling today, but it was only a gumball machine trinket, aluminum I think.

Here's everything.. err.. well almost..

6-4-08 001everything.jpg

Here's the "other" junk that wouldn't fit on my photo mat. <grin>

6-4-08 013OtherCrap.jpg

Three hours of hunting today, before it got hot... er... HOTTER.. then it was home to both tend to my lawn, that was in dire need of mowing, and to my dear wife. Val was not having a good day today. Her illness presented her with an episode that really took any joy out of the day for either of us. *sigh*
She's resting easier now, but it's still a bitch to have to deal with, even second hand. That and there are more storms predicted for this evening, and the overnight. Oh Joy.

Anyway, I hope everyone got to or will get to get out and have a little fun between the weather. Happy Hunting Everyone !

Frodov

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frod, you always do outstanding :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frodov , Don't you love seeing a wheatie instead of a mem. ? It's like finding a merc. instead of a rosie.

Sorry your wife is not feeling well , blessings and healing to both of you . And may you find some dream

finds on your next few hunts . Gregory, Santa Fe.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i belive the earing might be silver it said 925 on it and that is usually the numbers put on silver items

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
olepossum said:
i believe the earring might be silver it said 925 on it and that is usually the numbers put on silver items

Yeah, the earring *is* silver. I knew it was when I saw the "925" stamps. Of course I couldn't make out the stamps until I saw the pictures. Not only is the stamped marking(s) very very small, my eyes aren't quite as good as they used to be. *sigh* Luckily, I have a fantastic little digital camera my loving wife gave me for our tenth wedding anniversary. It might have taken me a while to adapt to digital and learn the ins and outs of this particular camera, but I think I'm doing ok with it now. Too many years of shooting with real film and manual focusing with my trusty old SLR. Now everything is pretty much automatic, and with the extremely high resolution in today's cameras enlarging is a shutterbug's dream come true! Anyway, Yeah, it's silver! Too bad I couldn't find it's mate while I was at it. I have litterally a zip lock baggie full of single earrings and rings and what not that I've found over the last year or so. Some gold, some silver, some mixed, some cheap "junque" as they say on TNet here. <shrug> A find is a find, and it was all exciting for me. Eventually I'll have enough gold or silver to have a fitting piece of jewelry made for me. ONE that only OTHER metal detector enthusiasts can understand .. the joke that is. I want to have a couple of "pull tabs" made from gold or silver to wear on a chain around my neck. <grin> Like I said.. only another metal detectorist would get the joke. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread