Long Island N.Y.

Attachments

• beach finds 6-16-05 001.jpg
    beach finds 6-16-05 001.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 421
Upvote 0
P

peasweet

Looks like you had a great day. I'm going to the beach next week, any beach detecting rules I should know before going hunting?

Peasweet

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little haul of cool stuff there!

HH

Lonewolfe

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Neat Finds!!!
Congrats on all the rings, WTG!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

S

SD MUDDOG

Nice haul. Its good to get a mix of stuff now and then..Keep it up. HH

OP
OP
R

Rooster

Apr 1, 2005
Long Island N.Y.
peasweet said:
Looks like you had a great day. I'm going to the beach next week, any beach detecting rules I should know before going hunting?

Peasweet
WHAT TYPE OF BEACH ARE YOU GOING TO? PUBLIC, PRIVATE, FRESHWATER, SALT. THE RULES I ALWAYS FOLLOW ARE, TAKE AWAY THE TRASH YOU DIG, BE CURTIOUS TO THOSE AROUND YA, FILL IN ANY HOLES THAT YOU DIG, AND MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN. ROOSTER P.S. TRY TO GET THERE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, ITS EASIER TO HUNT WHEN THERE AREN,T AS MANY PEOPLE AROUND.

P

peasweet

Thanks for the tips. This is my first beach hunt. Going to the outbanks of NC.

Peasweet

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
I mostly search freshwater beaches along Lake Michigan. I have done a little searching on the Gulf Coast in SW FLA.

As for rules when hunting, I would think they are pretty much the same, unless there is a specific issue or law or ordinance.

I usually will only search the open areas of the beach. Where sand is loose etc. Between the water line and any vegitation that might be there. I do not dig in the vegitation for a few reasons. First being that they are there to hold the sand in place and prevent erosion. I don't want to disturb any plants that are there for structural purposes. Second, and more importantly, some vegitation is habitat for wildlife. There are many laws thet are designed for the protection from erosion and protection of endangered species that might be living in the weeds. Birds, nesting etc. Down in Florida, where I go, there is often an issue with turtle nests. Certain areas can be specifically posted if there are such nests present. If posted in such a way, stay away.

I would imagine you could go wading out some but I don't tend to do that myself. Mainly because of the problems with digging things out and having the holes filling right back in with the waves. Also, there is the issue of being afraid of dropping the detector into the water. To each his own though.

I mainly look for areas where there are signs of activity, like volleyball pits or where people would naturally put out their blankets and all. Those areas should not be sensitive to any digging that I might do. Also, those are the areas where you would, most likely, find stuff anyways. Then, I search paths from those areas to other nearby areas like play lots or where someone might have been digging a hole or building a sand castle... and paths up to the parking lots.

Always fill in your holes. I usually smooth out the surface to make sure that there aren't any ruts for someone to trip in. Especially in the wet area near the waves where your slight depression could be dug out by the waves, leaving a hole right under the surface for someoene to turn an ankle in. Fill the hole and tamp down with your foot to firm up the hole and prevent some settling. Add more sand if necessary.

P

peasweet

Great, thanks, I'm really looking forward to the beach hunt instead of the hard southern clay I'm usually digging into!

Peasweet

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
peasweet said:
Thanks for the tips. This is my first beach hunt. Going to the outbanks of NC.

Peasweet
Peasweet, make sure you don't hunt on Hatteras Island. The park service WILL confiscate your detector. I just returned from there, and lived there for a few yrs. Been going there since 1969, real nice and peaceful, but drives you crazy not being able to hunt there! Nags head around Jeannettes pier would be a good place to hunt. There should be a lot of tourist there now!

HH 8) surfrat

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Thats a good point that I was thinking but forgot to type into my reply. Know, basically, where you are detecting. If an area is a state or national park, monument seashore or forest.... do not detect there. Or, at least, check with a ranger station before you do. Some will have stringent restrictions, most often total prohibitions. Others might allow detecting in certain areas with a permit.

If it is a run of the mill public beach, like a city park, look for signs that tell if there is a prohibition or restriction. If you don't see something, than you might chance it. But, with national and state parks, it can be more difficult on you. You may not see a sign but they will still fine you or confiscate your equipment anyways. So, make sure you are not on a state or federal beach.

P

peasweet

Thanks for all the beach advice. I am planning several trips to the coast and it's good to have this information before going. Especially about Cape Hatteras!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread