Another day in the sunshine

G

groundfishin

Got permission to hunt a farm house built in 1900 and had high hopes, but only found a few things worth mentioning. A 1917d wheatie, a childs silver spoon, a very old childs play shovel, and some pieces of iron bar stock. I have been asked for tips on using the XLT, and tips on researching. Well I mostly use the coin and jewelry program with a few minor adjustments to the tone pitch and volume. I also use tone ID. It took a while to get used to that but it really helps alot. The XLT comes with a very good owners manual and I have spent a lot of time getting to know the machine. The book "Detectorist - A Guide to Better Metal Detecting" written by Robert H. Sickler is a big help also. Now as far as tips for research, I started at our county museum. This town was settled in 1829, so there is a lot of history to it. It is now 20,000 people, and we are lucky to have 5 lakes, 2 beaches, and about a dozen parks, so I have a lot of ground to cover. I don't think there have been too many MDers around here, I make nice finds where ever I go. I bought a book from our museum containing the land records from 1874, 1892, 1907, and 1921 and spend a lot of my time studying where old schools,homesteads, and chuches stood years ago.Spend the time and effort to do your research and it will pay off. I have been amazed at what I have learned, and it is so interesting to go to a site and try and locate exactly where a building stood in the past. Good luck to all. Sorry, can't include pics, the cord for my camera needs replacing. Kevin

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread